Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Virus Barrier X5 and SuperDuper!

Virus Barrier X5 and SuperDuper!
cscsonline
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2008, 03:17 PM

I use Time Machine and SuperDuper for backups.
Since installing Virus Barrier X5 SuperDuper! will not complete a back-up.
Is anyone aware of a compatibility problem between SuperDuper! and Virus Barrier X5?
christo
using an Intel iMac 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB
iPhone 3G

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2008, 05:48 PM

What does SuperDuper say/do?

Why are you using Virus Barrier X5?

cscsonline  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2008, 04:46 AM

I get a message in SuperDuper! that something in VirusBarrier is preventing the backup completing.

Why am I using VirusBarrier? I am uncomfortable, perhaps foolishly, leaving my Mac open to threats. I know there a few if any viruses out there against the Mac, but won't that change at some point? Won't someone attack us eventually? I don't believe in being too complacent as reacting after an attack is too late.

It's a PC hangover I suppose!
christo
using an Intel iMac 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB
iPhone 3G

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2008, 05:48 AM

Disable it before using Super Duper.

When you hear about the first real OS X virus, then is the time to think about anti-virus software. Otherwise, it's a waste of system resources (unless you need to scan for Windows viruses before sending files to your Windows friends).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Sep 26, 2008, 05:53 AM

There has not been a single virus for OS X in the wild, at most there were proofs of concept. A virus scanner such as ClamX AV is only a courtesy for Windows users so that you don't forward viruses to them.

Nobody can exclude that there won't be a MacOS X virus eventually, but up until then, you don't need a virus scanner.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2008, 06:54 AM

When a legit virus threat happens that afflicts OS X, you will know about it! It will make headlines long before it invades your Mac. In the meantime, at best Virus Barrier is doing nothing, and at worst it just causes problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules