Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Page setup in Word 2004

Page setup in Word 2004
mala
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2009, 10:53 AM

Hi,

in Office 2004 I'd like to make A4 the standard paper size in Page Setup but everytime I change it, it goes back to US letter. How can I make A4 to be the default paper size for my documents?
Running Word version 11.5.3.

Thanks...

/Mans

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2009, 12:11 PM

Have you tried setting it in the System Preferences?

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2009, 01:06 PM

That wouldn't work...

I've never been able to do this. I tried looking around before, but it isn't easy to find out. Good luck in your search.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
That wouldn't work...

I've never been able to do this. I tried looking around before, but it isn't easy to find out. Good luck in your search.
Why wouldn't it work?

In the System Preference pane "Printing and Faxing", you can set the default paper format to be used by the Page Setup dialog.

I don't know why your system is broken, but this works fine on mine, even in Word 2004.

mala  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2009, 03:16 PM

I've now changed the setting in the printer preferences to A4 but in page setup for Word ity still is US Letter....however in page setup for other programs (Mail, Safari, Firefox...) it's the correct setting A4. This seems to be a Word 2004 problem, right?

/Mans

Thorzdad
Mar 6, 2009, 03:44 PM

You could format a blank Word doc to A4, then save it as a template. Then, use that A4 template for any new docs you create.
That's the only way I can find to get around it. I've not found any "Save as default format" toggle anywhere in Word, so far.

SnowWhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2009, 03:21 AM

Have you tried deleting the preferences for word? The only other suggestion I have is to try setting the print preferences to A4 from all your word processing or related apps, in case one of them might be overriding your word settings.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 15, 2009, 09:23 AM

Open a new, blank document. Go to Page Setup and select "Microsoft Word". Choose Margins. Now click the Page Setup button on the Margins pane and change to A4. Next set the margins you want for A4 paper. Now click Default; that will change the Normal template to use A4 paper with your margins for all future documents (until you change it again).

Not theory-I just did it and it worked great.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules