Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > computer "loses" mouse

computer "loses" mouse
Kenta
Mar 30, 2000, 05:13 PM

We have three G-4's that "forget" the mouse is there. The cursor either won't move or disappears. If we unplug the mouse and plug it back in, or plug a different mouse into the available usb port, everything is fine. What do we do to correct this?

Linda
Mar 31, 2000, 09:37 AM

I think you're on the right track with plugging and unplugging the mouse.

I'd read somewhere that plugging the mouse directly into the second USB port on the back of the G4, and not into the keyboard, helped this situation. However, it doesn't help the G4 in my house, because it's on the floor and the cord on the mouse is not long enough to do this.

Anxiously awaiting the answer,
Linda

Rob Tyser
Mar 31, 2000, 02:32 PM

I've have encountered the same problem om our department's new G4. The mouse is plugged into the keyboard. Occassionally, the cursor will not move, but unplugging the mouse and plugging in back in takes care of the problem.

Hope someone figures out how to correct this minor, but annoying problem.

chrikr
Apr 1, 2000, 10:57 AM

I had this problem when the KBD was pluged into a hub on my iMac. Plugging directly (with mouse plugged into KBD), very rearely ever have this problem. Tech NOTE: Plugging/unplugging forces the USB software to 're-register' the device, so it wipes out any old hangups and basically resets everything, that is why this helps. I started thinking about buying a USB switch box to make this easier. You might want to think about this if it continues to be an annoying problem.

Kenta
Apr 3, 2000, 01:38 PM

I've now asked the tech we work with about this. Apparently, some 3rd party input devices, like keyboards, don't have the power to support the draw from additional usb devices, like mice. (We haven't had any problems when using the standard keyboard and mouse.)

The tech recommends a powered usb hub, if there aren't any available usb ports on the cpu or monitor.

-K.

Linda
Apr 4, 2000, 11:29 AM

In my case, it *is* the original teeny keyboard and original hockeypuck-mouse, and no other USB devices on the G4.

<sigh>

scott
Apr 4, 2000, 10:46 PM

Occassionally on bootup (maybe 1 in 15 times), my Blue G3/400 will fail to recognize that the keyboard is plugged in. And since the mouse is plugged into the keyboard, it doesn't recognize that either. An odd artifact of this is the Caps Lock key is illuminated. Disconnecting them reconnecting the USB connection to the back of the machine solves the problem.

I'm using a Logitech wheel mouse (though not Logitech's drivers), so perhaps that is playing some part as well.

- Scott

Santa
Apr 4, 2000, 11:09 PM

There are several possibilities.One that I often see involves simple static electricity. In fact, after the last sentence I left my desk, returned, and picked up my mouse. Frozen! I have learned in my case it is almost certain it is static electricity. A plug/unplug is all it takes for me. Once I figured out what was going on I used Bounce fabric softener sheets to wipe my chair, whose cloth is partly responsible. I'm also looking for a static mat. That may not be the cause of your problem, but it's possible. A clean install should tell you if it is a software issue; and if you are using a third party mouse you might want to go back to the stupid hockey puck for a while to rule out any other third party incompatibilities. I use a MacAlly mouse and keyboard that don't seem to pose any issues for me on my G4/450.

byrne
Apr 5, 2000, 07:19 AM

I have the same static problem with my PB G3. The air in my apartment is very dry at this time of the year. Very often I feel a small 'zap' when I sit down and touch the mouse (MS Intellimouse Explorer). The light in the mouse goes off, and it's gone. The touchpad still works. Unplugging the mouse from my 4-port Targus USB hub doesn't work, but unplugging the hub from the USB port does. I'm experimenting with different ways to ground myself, but haven't solved it yet. Fabric on my favorite desk chair seems to make the problem worse than with a wood-and-wicker dining chair.

haunebu
Apr 5, 2000, 07:55 AM

Problem 1:

I have the same problem with my Pismo 500. I have a Macally iKey plugged into the back of the PB, and a Macally iMouse Pro plugged into the keyboard.

The only fix I have found is unplugging/plugging-in the mouse again.

Problem 2:

Also, the funtion keys often lose their functionality when assigned to applications and the only fix is a restart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules