Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Should I Upgrade from 8.6?

Should I Upgrade from 8.6?
DBursey
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2000, 08:46 AM

Hi,

I have an iMac DV/SE with OS 8.6 and all the original software. Since I have no use for the 'multi-user' feature of OS 9, are there good reasons why I should upgrade my OS? I'm fairly happy with 8.6. Pros/cons?

If I do upgrade, what other software upgrades should I perform at the same time?
Thanks to all in advance for advice and opinions.

DBursey  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2000, 09:40 AM

Thanks wlonh.

Many related answers, but I suppose not the one (or more) definitive answer(s) I had hoped would convince me that I will (or will not) be better off with 9.x.

Or perhaps, deep down, I just wanted to see my name 'in lights' .

P
Apr 7, 2000, 10:39 AM

It all comes down to RAM, really. If you have the standard 64 MB, I'd stick with 8.6 - if you have more, go for 9.0.4. 9 is a bit slower, but the features taking CPU can be turned off, and the newer graphics/USB drivers in 9.0.4 should speed your machine up some in the long run.

My tip, if you have the $, would be to invest in a 128 MB RAM circuit - bringing the total RAM to 192 - and then upgrade. That's what I did!
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules