Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Software Update problem.

Software Update problem.
Razzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2000, 01:26 PM

For the past several weeks whenever I check for updates with the SU control panel it tells me that there is an update for Alladin software. I have clicked on the update button which begins the download and subsequently informs me that the software has been installed. When I go back to SU however it still tells me that this update is available for my machine and would I care to download it. I have version 1.1.1 of Software Update. Any suggestions?

Jeep2000
Mar 22, 2000, 06:51 PM

Can't really help you, but I'll add my strangeness...when I run Software Update, it finds some DVD update version 2. I already have version 2.1 installed, so I never choose to update it, but time and time again, Software Update suggests that I update to version 2. I don't know what that's all about. Maybe still some bugs with the Softare Update?

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2000, 08:59 PM

Sorry I can't help either....
iMac DV SE is about 4 months old and every time I've ever went to SU it has never given me anything to update. Even now. I thought that someone have updated to 9.0.4. Is this true? I haven't seen anything to update....

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2000, 02:21 PM

Well get ready to be even more PO'ed. From what I have heard, the OS 9.04 update is only available at certain unknown times of the day. I am now officially angry.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2000, 03:17 PM

oh, please. that is utter nonsense... available at certain times of the day!?!?!

please. IT has NOT been officially released, and when it IS it will be available in every possible way, according to MacNN News: as a regular 'non-software update panel' download, as a download using software update panel, and as a CD...

good grief, charlie brown, see this: http://www.macnn.com/features/os904.shtml

and the blurb on MacNN News frontpage today was referring to the fact that, due to pure dumb luck and coincidence, some people were able to download MacOS 9.04 using the Software Update control panel... because for some reason that no one seems to know, Apple opened the floodgates for awhile and some people just happened to be using their software update panel and BINGO they got it, BEFORE it was OFFICIALLY released. it was a FLUKE that some people got it early... and that is that.

or so the story has been reported at many reputable websites.

and when it is RELEASED OFFICIALLY it will be available at all times.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 03-24-2000).]

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2000, 05:38 PM

Apple releasing an update before it's "officially" released isn't really anything new. Previously, when updates where posted to FTP sites, users were often able to find the update a day or two before Apple officially announced it. My guess is that something similar has been happening with the Software Update CP. I for one just wish Apple would have on page with the latest version of everything that the Software Update CP checks for... Software Update is soooo slow. It takes UpdateAgent a tenth of the time to check the versions of all the applications on my drive.

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2000, 09:49 AM

Just to update everyone (just incase someone else had my problem, as stated above). For some reason when I would run SU, within 3 seconds or so it would tell me there is no software to update.

What I did... I downloaded Software Update 1.1.1 from apple, just incase mine was corrupt or something. I already had that version. I also deleted the prefs, which is probably what fixed the problem. After re-installing SU and deleting the prefs I restarted and when I ran SU (after about 3 minutes) I got a list of stuff like Open Transport, Stuffit 5.5, Netscape, Outlook, IE, Java, and a few others. Looks like I'm in need of a system update....

I think I'll wait 2 months... (That�s when I'm getting my Comcast@Home set up)

[This message has been edited by blizaine (edited 03-24-2000).]

foxfourgib
Mar 24, 2000, 04:07 PM

Here's a thought for those of you having problems with the Update tellieng you that you need an older version of something already installed? Did/have you run the system catalogue feature that came with OS9 - the one that inventories your system? I did and set up an update to run late at night a day or two prior to a scheduled Updater check. Never once has it asked for an "older" update to be performed. Just a thought - I have no reason to know this is the answer - but why else have such a catologing function? System Profiler answers all other issues for what's installed so is/could the catalog function be set simply for the updater's benefit?

drfrank
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2000, 06:35 AM

I too have had the SU panel tell me I needed components that were earlier versions of what I had.

I'm not so sure about the catalog (index) comment, the first thing I did when setting up my G4/500 was to run software update to get the latest SU control panel. At that time the update control panel indicated that was all that was needed. Obviously the HD was not indexed as the G4 was just out of the box.

Subsequent updates is when the SU panel started reporting older versions of components.

ATP Tour Fan
Mar 30, 2000, 04:42 PM

Rebuild your desktop. TaDah!

Mark987654321
Apr 4, 2000, 11:42 PM

I also have had no success with SU for a while now. The barber pole freezes, and I have to force quit the app. I'm using SU 1.1.1

I'm wondering if the problem has anything to do with the fact that I'm connecting to the internet via AirPort. Has anyone else out there been able to get SU to work with Airport?

resker
Apr 5, 2000, 12:46 AM

ATP Tour Fan has a point. Every case of Software Update reporting it had installed something , but subsequently saying you need the same update that I've seen has arisen from a corrupted Desktop DB. Software Update makes use of the installer engine within the application support folder (in turn within your System Folder). If it has been deleted or otherwise cannot be found due to a corrupted Desktop DB then you'll experience similar symptoms to what's been reported. Bottom Line: rebuild your Desktop!

Forum Links
Forum Rules