Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiple Users problems with modem use

Multiple Users problems with modem use
FergusD
Mar 30, 2000, 11:04 AM

iMacDV with OS9.0. If I set up "Limited Users" they can't use the Internet! They can launch mail, browser apps but they can't dial up. If I make them normal users it is OK so all there Internet settings must be OK Any clues? What am I denying them access to that is causing the problems. I see no obvious candidates.

Fergus Doherty

Ben Reilly
Apr 1, 2000, 06:45 AM

I am having a similar, but not identical problem. On my iMac, limited users will let people dial up, but then nothing happens after that, Sherlock II, OE & IE all refuse to work, citing connection problems. Please help, as I don't want to give my mother unlimited access to the hard drive-she still attempts to double click links, and I even have to change back to the puck instead of my three button mouse for her.

[This message has been edited by Ben Reilly (edited 04-01-2000).]

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2000, 06:20 PM

Hi all:

Which ISPs are you using? Some ISPs (especially America Online) use proprietary software that currently doesn't get along well with Limited users. Apple's KidSafe technology also requires additional setup for Limited users. [Fortunately, there are workarounds for most of these issues. Search here in this Mac OS 9 forum on MacNN, or over in MacFixIt's Troubleshooting Mac OS 9 forum, or over in Apple's own Mac OS Discussion forums or Tech Info Library.]

Other ISPs don't use proprietary software, and tend to get along better with Limited users. The only issues that crop up are application-specific, where it's often necessary to fiddle with preferences to make sure that Limited users are accessing items (such as a download folder) only in locations to which they have access. For instance, I myself use a smaller national ISP and after tweaking various application settings, my Limited user account has no problems accessing the Internet via Sherlock 2, Communicator, Eudora, etc.

Regards,

--Paul

Kenneth MacArthur
Apr 6, 2000, 07:07 PM

Try replacing their TCP/IP Preferences with your own (administrator) prefs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules