Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sherlock problems (multiple users)

Sherlock problems (multiple users)
FergusD
Mar 30, 2000, 11:06 AM

With Multiple Users on, one of my kids can use Sherlock, the other can't. Sherlock launches but says it can't find any channels, if it tries to download these channels nothing happens. Any clues?

Fergus Doherty

msylte
Apr 3, 2000, 10:40 AM

I run a small lab of Macs using the multiple-user logon. The preferences and files for each user are stored on a server, but I believe when using a single machine you will find them in a folder called "Users". Each person will have a their own folders inside that one for Apple Menu Items, Desktop Picturees, etc.

You will find a folder called Internet Search Sites which contains the Sherlock plugins. I was unable to get System 9 to copy these for each user and so I had to manually drag the same folder for one User folder to another (holding down the option key so that it copied rather than simply moved).

Adding sites, then, is simply a matter of dragging them into the folders. I don't recommend just dopping them into the Sherlock window.

Hope this helps.

Kenneth MacArthur
Apr 6, 2000, 07:09 PM

Putting an alias to the administrator Internet Search Sites folder in each user's folder also works, as long as you don't mind a uniform set of Sherlock plug-ins for each user.

Forum Links
Forum Rules