Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mom wants a new car

Mom wants a new car (Page 3)
Tardbus
Banned
Feb 1, 2006, 11:45 AM

heh. Owned. But yeah, you're right. And honestly, I don't know wtf they are smoking, but subarus are extremely reliable cars. They wear out cam seals at about 115-120k, and start to leak a little oil (nothing major) but... it's not unreliable. Think of it more as a 'rust prevention system'. Or you can just get new cam seals for a couple hundred bucks. It's EXTREMELY easy to get a subaru to go really high miles.

http://hometown.aol.com/nv1z/subaruh...eage.html?f=fs

Crappy page, but whatever.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Unless there is some sort of documentation on this, I am going to mark it up as personal belief.
Personal experience.... which formed my opinion. Yeah it is personal belief, like som many things... I can explain it though by the lack of proper training...

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
The new RAM 1500 isn't that great either.

I really don't understand why people like Durangos so much, but to each his own.

(But let me know how the front CV joints hold up...)

Yeah, I guess that's why I see a ton of the trucks on the road.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2006, 05:10 PM

I see a ton of computers with ME too, what is your point?

Tardbus
Banned
Feb 1, 2006, 10:23 PM

Exactly. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tardbus
Exactly. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.
True.

Eat more sh!t. Millions of flies can't be wrong

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 05:38 AM

People wouldn't pay for the truck if it wasn't good. 35k for the truck is a bit more than a few hundred for ME.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 08:39 AM

Yes they would, people buy stupid overpriced cars allll the time.

My roomate bought a 7k dollar Cavalier 2 years ago and now it is broken down in the driveway.

Tardbus
Banned
Feb 2, 2006, 09:55 AM

Yeha really. If people didn't pay for **** GM would be out of business.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tardbus
Yeha really. If people didn't pay for **** GM would be out of business.
And you needed to find a new hobby

Tardbus
Banned
Feb 2, 2006, 09:59 AM

Cars are my hobby.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 01:51 PM

Also, I would like to add that just 2 months after he bought that POS it needed new fuel lines and a new sending unit.

Cheap American cars are GARBAGE!!! Please people, I have no alterior motive by saying this, I'm just trying to help.

jonn804  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 09:28 PM

Thank you for your reply. The Saturn was one of three options I gave ma, Saturn, Lucerne, Ford 500. Again, thanks........

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
The assumptions you are making are ABNORMAL, ATYPICAL assumptions. The things you are saying MAY be true (and they may not be, I can't attest to what YOU say but I can vouch for what I say) but does the average consumer WANT to behave in the manner you proscribe?

That reminds me of the person who builds their own computer. Saves money. Better specs. But who really wants to do that? And how many people CAN do that?

We are talking about a MOM.

As for buying American, I don't know what you do for a living, but if everybody in America buys foreign cars just what do you think would happen to our economy? You live in America? Then you should drive the best American car you can when the country is in economic trouble. All of you who say that every car is a mish-mosh of parts and assembly from here and there, this country and that, well you are all correct. But jonn804's Mom wants to do what's good for the American workers because she is noble and smart. The cars that will most help Detroit is what she wants to buy.

The difference in fit and finish YOU can't even quantify and I challenge you to prove your assertions. They MAY be true but they may NOT be true.

If you are so interested in the mechanics of the car, I hope you are just as demanding of your computer. Ooops, I think there's a new updated iMac that came out last week. Unless you have the very latest and best you are ****! Isn't that your philosophy?

C'mon, be real. Ease up. Calm down. Be right and be nice. It's easy to be hard. Can you master the challenge of finding fulfillment as a NICE person?

Cars, stuff, things. It's all to make you feel good inside. But when you have all the stuff and all the stuff you have is the very best stuff and you still feel bad inside is the answer really more stuff? Better stuff?

How about more love?

A better me?

jonn804, I stand by my original post. Check out Saturns.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2006, 01:30 PM

Hyundai has come a loooong way to. The new Sonata is starting to catch up to Toyota and Honda.

Forum Links
Forum Rules