Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Will apple tv act like an airport express?

Will apple tv act like an airport express?
MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 04:35 PM

I'm planning out the wireless audio for our home and decided to base it all off our iTunes library. Currently, we have airport expresses hooked up around the house so we can have music pumping out throughout the various rooms (all in sync). Now, if we connect an apple tv to a tv, can we have the audio go there as well in addition to having the visuals on the screen of the tv as shown at the Macworld demo?

I hope this can work out somehow but I'm thinking otherwise because I know that itunes is normally controlled from the computer end and it seems like the apple tv UI seems to rely on the apple remote.

Any ideas?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 05:32 PM

Yes it will.

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 05:41 PM

Is there some sort of documentation or website I can read that shows how this works or explains it in a bit more detail?

Thanks
iPhone 4 / iPad!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 07:59 PM

I was under the impression that the tv pulls media from a computer, whereas the Airport Express gets it pushed. That is, there's a big difference in whether the client or server initiates the streaming. I didn't think an tv would show up as a AirTunes speaker in iTunes.

Of course, I could be wrong, so I'd like to see imitchellg5's source.

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 11:40 PM

Also, another question I have is that to be able to stream video, does this mean you have to upgrade your wireless network to the 802.11n (meaning the new airport extreme)???
iPhone 4 / iPad!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 07:56 PM

The tv takes media from the computer which the computer makes available to the computer as shown in the MacWorld keynote. N is not required, however, N is the only frequency that can stream HD smoothly.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 05:56 PM

I don't think HD will stream nicely over anything other than N. I think this is why Apple put the harddrive and the ability for the appletv to automatically download items from your iTunes. There are a lot of Macs out there that don't have N wireless.

hangarbum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 12:14 AM

there doesn't seem to be much point right now for HD anyway. iTunes only sells "near DVD-quality" video right now and some of the older pixar videos i bought look like trash on my tv (mini with DVI-HDMI cable to a panasonic 46" lcd hdtv) and on my 15" powerbook in full screen mode. i think it will take apple opening up iTunes to be able to import DVDs i already own and burn DVDs from movies purchased at the iTunes store to convince me to buy one. i'm also surprised there is no input from a satellite/cable box to give it some dvr function.

on a side note... what is that usb port for? external hard disk maybe? 40GB seems small for storing any kind of movie library, even at "near DVD-quality"

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2007, 04:35 PM

The 40GB is more of a cache, not primary storage for your media.

Swancoat
Mar 13, 2007, 10:00 PM

Did the original poster get an answer for this? I know one guy said 'yes', but I'd like to see something a little more definitive...

My use: My Airport Express runs into my HT Preamp, which then feeds a 'whole house' audio system, which I can play from any room. So basically, I cart my MacBook into my bedroom, hit 'Play' on iTunes, and listen to music on the bedroom speakers. Can also take laptop to kitchen and do the same thing etc.... So using the AppleTV's remote and built in interface isn't going to cut it for me. I need it to act as 'Remote Speakers' for any iTunes computer on the network.

BresslerVineyards
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 12:32 PM

MikeD - check out the squeezebox from Slim Devices Slim Devices : Transporter & Squeezebox : Free your music!
I use them in several rooms throughout the house. It plays your iTunes playlists and the audio quality is excellent.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by GORDYmac View Post
The 40GB is more of a cache, not primary storage for your media.
40 Gb is more than most people have

Forum Links
Forum Rules