Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need a New Color Printer

Need a New Color Printer
Wendover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2010, 08:17 AM

I have Epson R280, it prints great when it print right. But that is not that often. So i need a new printer, what kind would you suggest? I do a lot of photo quality printing on it and i need to be able to get good off brand cartridges for it.

thanks

SVass
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2010, 01:42 PM

Same answer that I gave in another thread.
My Epson color pro originally purchased in 1992 quit last week with a smell of ozone. The ink was quite inexpensive. I went to the photo section of my local Costco and noted that they have a price list for refilling Canon, HP, Dell, and Lexmark ink cartridges. With that in hand, I went out and purchased a new printer that used said inkjet cartridges. sam

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2010, 05:18 PM

Canon's 9000 and 9500 pro are very good.

If you're also buying a new camera, you get huge discounts on buying these printers.

The discounts are so great it may make sense to update your camera as well. (You usually get a $400 or $ 500 rebate).

Epsons are problematic if not used constantly. Their nozzles clog.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2010, 05:19 PM

Be aware that no-brand cartridges are never the same quality than the original cartridges.

Wendover  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Canon's 9000 and 9500 pro are very good.

If you're also buying a new camera, you get huge discounts on buying these printers.

The discounts are so great it may make sense to update your camera as well. (You usually get a $400 or $ 500 rebate).

Epsons are problematic if not used constantly. Their nozzles clog.
is this printer 10.6 compatible?

OreoCookie
Nov 2, 2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wendover View Post
is this printer 10.6 compatible?
You have to try hard to find a printer these days that isn't Mac compatible. Of course, there is full OS X support.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Wendover  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2010, 09:04 AM

I the only reason I ask is because one of the review on amazon was complaining about osx compatibility issues, and Canons site did not list 10.6

OreoCookie
Nov 2, 2010, 11:32 AM

Those are typically not compatibility issues, at worst software issues or hardware. Most current printers can be used without installing any drivers.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2010, 02:06 PM

Main question is, what's the main purpose for the color printer?

Are you printing mostly photos--or are you printing mostly color documents, with minimal photos?

If you're printing mostly photos, then a color inkjet will give better results. If you're printing mostly documents, then a color laser will be vastly cheaper, due to the cheaper color toner.

And yes, the above distinction is getting blurrier every year, but that's still mostly true.

OreoCookie
Nov 3, 2010, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Main question is, what's the main purpose for the color printer? .
Apparently photos.
Originally Posted by Wendover View Post
I do a lot of photo quality printing on it and i need to be able to get good off brand cartridges for it.
Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Be aware that no-brand cartridges are never the same quality than the original cartridges.
I second that -- unless you print just text. Even if it is graphics, you see some differences, depending on the vendor of the ink.

Forum Links
Forum Rules