Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple's Near Future Products (Somewhat Baseless Predictions)

Apple's Near Future Products (Somewhat Baseless Predictions)
Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2015, 01:41 AM

Okay, so hi everyone who remembers me. I feel like this year has been one of the ones where Apple has created the highest number of things that will cross pollenate through out the whole product range, that are not yet universally applied. (Force Touch, which became 3D touch, Apple Pencil, lightning as a port for charging not just iOS devices, USB-C, butterfly key mechanism, etc.)

I think part of this demonstrates just how big Apple has gotten that so many products are coming out at once. (And often within months of each other.) At the same time you'll also notice as that's happening new hardware innovations are being developed for different new products that then work there way back into the rest of the line.

Thankfully Apple's peripherals are actually worth owning now that they're coming with rechargeable batteries and easy charging by Lightning. I think you'll see most new Beats products coming with charging via Lightning rather than micro USB. (And I suspect the wireless versions might move purely to lightning, perhaps coming with a lightning to lightning cable for iPhone to headphone connection?) Personally I don't care much about Beats. (I'm more concerned with the apparently trademark of AirPods that was done by a shell company, because if I can get some wireless EarPods I'll be more than a little happy!

I suspect the iPad Air wasn't upgraded this year because Apple wants to milk more out of their investment in the design of the Air 1 and 2 models. Also I think they wanted to avoid competing with the iPad Pro. Which is unfortunate. I hope next year sees A10s in both the new iPhones as well as the whole iPad range, but I am not sure how practical that hope is. I really hope that next year sees big upgrades for all iPads given that none of them currently support 3D touch. (Which boggles the mind, aside from the fact that Apple probably figured they couldn't get enough parts to outfit the whole product line with it.)

I also expect Apple Pencil support to be added to the next versions of the iPad Air and mini. (Hopefully they won't just go with the Air and will realize that people buy minis because they are a different size, not because they want to do less demanding work on them!) I suspect though that they might not do things like have the screen go to 60 FPS when using the Pencil on the smaller iPads. (Though if the hardware can pull it off they might do it anyway.) I suspect they'll want to try and pitch the iPad Pro as the best place to use the Pencil, but I feel like potentially selling an Apple Pencil to let's say up to 30% of iPad buyers? That'd be a pretty nice up sell.

I also think that the Pencil will hopefully be able to add support to at least the iPhone 7 Plus, and hopefully the 7. I'm not holding my breath on that, but I think it would be great, and might even convince a few people that would have just gotten a 7 to get the 7 Plus.

Speaking of iPhones I genuinely hope that there's a 7 mini. Mostly because I can't type the letter a with my right thumb. While I do game, read, and do all kinds of stuff with my iPhone. Nearly nothing I do significantly benefits from the bigger screen. I love my iPhone 6, but I would gladly trade it for a 5S shaped phone that was just as powerful processorwise. (I actually think I was silly not to get the 5S because the 6 wasn't all that much faster or better than it.) I imagine that they'll claim that they'd have to pull back on the processor speed in order to keep decent battery life. But for some people battery isn't a huge deal. I charge my iPhone every night, and often am able to charge it while out during the day. A 7 mini would also allow them to create a lower cost iPhone than the $200 USD entry level. (Which in Canada now that our dollar has dropped to .75ish cents compared to the US dollar means iPhones are a lot tougher to purchase in the country than they used to be. (Sadly the carriers haven't upped the subsidy, so what used to be the $200 model is now the $400 model.

I expect that they won't bother with calling a 4 inch Phone a C model. Though I am worried that they could decide to release a 6S mini just before the 7 and 7 plus launch. That would bug me.

Realistically I think a lot of people would still end up opting for a 4 inch iPhone with more internal memory. But that's just me.

I also expect to see the new MacBook Pros coming with Thunderbolt 3 which is port compatible with USB C. When that change happens, I expect to see Apple come out with something to replace the current Thunderbolt Monitors. I'm not sure if they'll be Thunderbolt 3 or USB C, I suspect USB C in the hopes of not alienating any MacBook owners.

I'd love to say that Apple will sort out whether silver and gold go with black or white. (MacBooks have black keys and black bezels universally, regardless of whether they're silver, gold, or space grey. Where as iPhones are white unless they're space grey.) Though I suspect that the current muddy use of colour in the products will continue. (And apparently I will continue to be the only person who it bothers.)

Lastly, I suspect that within the next two years we'll start to see the MacBook Air phased out and the MacBook moved to an ARM processor. Then after a year or two of that, they'll introduce a 15 inch MacBook, and the MacBook Pro will become something that people only buy if they want to run Pro apps or Windows. (And it would eventually fade out if Apple's A series chips can consistently beat out the performance Intel is offering at any given time.) When that happens I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple start blending iOS with OS X a lot more.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 30, 2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Thankfully Apple's peripherals are actually worth owning now that they're coming with rechargeable batteries and easy charging by Lightning.

Someone try and convince me that this isn't the worst ****ing design ever produced.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2015, 12:26 PM

It isn't the hockey puck mouse.

[drops mic]

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2015, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post

Someone try and convince me that this isn't the worst ****ing design ever produced.
Wait until you see the new lightning to head phone jack converter you'll need soon if this is true:

Apple rumored to ditch headphone jack on 'iPhone 7' for Lightning connector audio

[throws mike at unsuspecting audience member, gets arrested backstage]
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 30, 2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It isn't the hockey puck mouse.

[drops mic]
**** you, the hockey puck mouse, once it received the indent on the button, worked great. And didn't require me to stop using my computer for several minutes whenever it ran out of battery power. Even with my current Magic Mouse, I just throw a couple AAs in there and it's good for the next few months.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2015, 01:08 PM

**** you, the hockey puck mouse
Agreed.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2015, 01:15 PM

I concur.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2015, 01:18 PM

Design?

Too much junk in Apple's offerings lately.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2015, 01:25 PM

Apple is doing this so the rights to the Lightning connector don't revert back to Marvel.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2015, 01:27 PM

Well, one good thing about future Apple products: they're not Microsoft products.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Well, one good thing about future Apple products: they're not Microsoft products.
Except that the Surface Pro 4 is better than the iPad Pro (geez, what a stinker that's been).
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Except that the Surface Pro 4 is better than the iPad Pro (geez, what a stinker that's been).
Ok you win there Cap'n.
imo Apple should convert the iPad Pro to run OS X + lower the price by $200. hah.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2015, 07:55 PM

Just give me a new AirPort Extreme.

My old one is broken, but I don't want to pull the trigger on a 2.5 year old product.

-t

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2015, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Wait until you see the new lightning to head phone jack converter you'll need soon if this is true:

Apple rumored to ditch headphone jack on 'iPhone 7' for Lightning connector audio

[throws mike at unsuspecting audience member, gets arrested backstage]
You failed to mention that if true, the reasoning is that the new iPhones are getting even thinner, making it harder to accommodate the 3.5mm jack. Also this would help in that it could deliver power and more controls to headsets, perhaps powering DACs, amps, maybe even noise canceling?

mindwaves
Nov 30, 2015, 10:01 PM

The hockey puck mouse was designed to be redesigned by others. In other words, it was designed for third-party manufacturers to create new iMac-y designed mice (e.g., green and white colors) to complement the iMac.

I think Apple device have gotten way too expensive recently, and this is coming from someone who has more money now than what he had 5 years ago.

Recharging the Magic Mouse 2 that way is dumb. The Apple Pencil is ok, but way too expensive. Not putting one USB port on front of the iMac, or even on the side, is dumb.

Thorzdad
Nov 30, 2015, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post

Design?

Too much junk in Apple's offerings lately.
Yeah...It's hard to believe a professional designer or engineer signed-off on that one. It's damned embarrassing. Apple's now including an adapter with the Pencil that will allow you to hook it up to any Lightning cable (not included) for charging. Still, I much prefer 53's approach with their Pencil, in having the tip removable for recharging. It's lower rez and USB, of course, but still...

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2015, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Just give me a new AirPort Extreme.

My old one is broken, but I don't want to pull the trigger on a 2.5 year old product.

-t
Buy the OnHub, it's great.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2015, 01:43 AM

Buy the OnHub, it's great.
Thanks, definitely looks interesting.
I assume things like AirPlay still work, like steaming music to an Airport Express ?

Do you have any experience regarding Onhub reliability ?
Did you ever have to reboot/power cycle it due to decreased performance ?

-t

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2015, 02:38 AM

We set them up at the office and their performance, range, and ease of use is better than routers that were 5x their price. Reliability? I really don't know, but I've not heard any bad news, and no news is great news.

Video review by Linus Tech Tips:

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2015, 06:50 PM

I'm about to check one out and see if I'm moved...

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2015, 06:59 PM

I like it... I think I'm going to get one. They're out of the 128, so no impulse buy.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2015, 11:49 PM

It's "very good" (4/5), IMO. One thing that helps is that it's a real, honest-to-god computer, and not just a huge smartphone.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2015, 12:37 AM

I really don't understand all the hate for the new Magic Mouse 2. Especially if one preferred the form factor. In light of the fact that it now has a rechargeable battery that lasts over a month ... the sub-optimal recharging port on the bottom of the mouse is well worth the price of admission considering the fact that regular batteries would last a couple of weeks at best AND the battery cover was always difficult to remove AND the cost of replacing said batteries was not inexpensive. Two minutes of charging for 9 HOURS of battery life? An entire work day for less charging time than a coffee break? Charge it overnight for over a MONTH of battery life when it absolutely doesn't matter that it's upside down? I'll take that any day over the previous Magic Mouse. Design is about making trade offs. And personally I think Apple made trade offs that on balance were a net positive in this instance. Naturally YMMV ... but that's the way I see it.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Dec 2, 2015 at 12:48 AM. )

OreoCookie
Dec 2, 2015, 02:34 AM

You realize you've linked to the Macalope?
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I like it... I think I'm going to get one. They're out of the 128, so no impulse buy.
My wife (who is a graphic designer) and I both immediately fell in love with the iPad Pro. She has tried various Surfaces and Cintiques multiple times, and she owns a regular Wacom tablet. For some strange reason I even really, really liked the keyboard (I say strange, because my favorite keyboard is an IBM Model M, and I disliked the MacBook's keyboard every time I have tried it). It's the first iPad I seriously consider purchasing. (Well, I'll get one for my wife so that she can test drive it …)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2015, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
They aren't wrong.

My wife (who is a graphic designer) and I both immediately fell in love with the iPad Pro. She has tried various Surfaces and Cintiques multiple times, and she owns a regular Wacom tablet. For some strange reason I even really, really liked the keyboard (I say strange, because my favorite keyboard is an IBM Model M, and I disliked the MacBook's keyboard every time I have tried it). It's the first iPad I seriously consider purchasing. (Well, I'll get one for my wife so that she can test drive it …)
I can see some niche groups wanting one, I use mine for reading graphic novels and comics, but for most it's still just a huge smartphone with specialized mobile apps. The Surface Pro is a full-fledged computer.

OreoCookie
Dec 2, 2015, 05:20 AM

They aren't wrong.
I'm asking because Macalope is a column parodying other articles.
I can see some niche groups wanting one, I use mine for reading graphic novels and comics, but for most it's still just a huge smartphone with specialized mobile apps.
Given the sales numbers for tablets and PCs I don't think it's accurate to claim that tablets are a niche product. What is small today is the percentage of users who no longer need a computer with a cursor-based interface. (BTW I did not even claim that the iPad Pro will fulfill both roles in case of me or my wife.) I expect that the iPad Pro will be seen as a landmark on the path to touch-first computing.
The Surface Pro is a full-fledged computer.
I've handled various Surfaces many times. (My brother was given a Pro 3 as a work computer, and he uses it alongside his 13" MacBook Pro.) We have tried a few in the Microsoft Store in Toronto. I never felt the feeling of want, rather that I'd prefer to stick to my traditional notebook. I precisely don't want a Surface because there are very, very few good touch-first apps. Some of the most popular Windows software has yet to come to Metro (not sure what term du jour is for that). Touching the iPad Pro gives me the same feelings as when I was using OS X 10.0 or 10.1: I can see the other side. Put differently, until the iPad Pro I never really wanted an iPad that much (in the sense that I didn't want to save money up for one), and now I do.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2015, 10:14 AM

It wouldn't be the first time that CTP has referenced an article as support for his position even though it says the exact opposite of the point he's making.

OAW

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
regular batteries would last a couple of weeks at best AND the battery cover was always difficult to remove AND the cost of replacing said batteries was not inexpensive.
1. I easily get 2-3 months out of a set of AAs
2. The battery cover is super easy to remove.
3. Who doesn't keep AAs lying around?

Two minutes of charging for 9 HOURS of battery life?
Sometimes two minutes is all i have before fatherly or husbandy duty calls. Not being able to use the computer because the mouse needs recharging would be infuriating.

I think most of the hate comes from the fact that Apple specifically, purposely made it so that the mouse CANNOT be used while recharging. They could have very easily, with no sacrifice to design or aesthetics put the lighting port up front to allow charging while using.

But then dumb people would leave it plugged in all the time and that would defeat the purpose of having a wireless mouse, so they sacrificed usability.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2015, 11:40 AM

The problem with the iPadPro (and iPad in general) has nothing to do with the hardware and specs (apart from that stupid pencil charging). It's to do with the software, specifically iOS's UI.

The solution isn't slapping OSX onto it, that would probably be an equally bad experience.

IMHO What Apple needs to do is have a new purpose-built (big screens) "presentation layer" for iOS to take advantage of the extra real estate (and no split screen doesnt encompass what i'd like to see). The applications themselves wont have to change. but the way people organize their data and apps on the device needs to take advantage of the extra space.

iOS's kernel and APIs are mature, no need in changing it all at this point in time. But the UI is too "modal"/"static", at least for a tablet.

I hate to keep bringing it up, but as far as OS UI on a "tablet" goes, i think the Palm/HP Touchpad did a much better job than any of the big three.

Cheers

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2015, 11:50 AM

You are certainly getting much better Life out of standard batteries then I do. If I got a month that was doing great. Maybe the magic mouse I had was starting to get old but at one point it used to be very easy to get the cover off but eventually it became quite the pain. Perhaps the latching mechanism on mine started to wear out or something.

Sometimes two minutes is all i have before fatherly or husbandy duty calls. Not being able to use the computer because the mouse needs recharging would be infuriating.

I think most of the hate comes from the fact that Apple specifically, purposely made it so that the mouse CANNOT be used while recharging. They could have very easily, with no sacrifice to design or aesthetics put the lighting port up front to allow charging while using.

But then dumb people would leave it plugged in all the time and that would defeat the purpose of having a wireless mouse, so they sacrificed usability.
I'm not sure that a lightning port could've been added to the front or the rear of the magic mouse without sacrificing "design or aesthetics". You would definitely end up with a hole marring the white surface. Perhaps on the side but I suspect that would've freaked people out even more.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2015, 12:19 PM

Given the sales numbers for tablets and PCs I don't think it's accurate to claim that tablets are a niche product.
Not "tablets" in general, the iPad Pro in specific. ie. a $900+ gigantor.

I've handled various Surfaces many times. (My brother was given a Pro 3 as a work computer, and he uses it alongside his 13" MacBook Pro.) We have tried a few in the Microsoft Store in Toronto. I never felt the feeling of want, rather that I'd prefer to stick to my traditional notebook. I precisely don't want a Surface because there are very, very few good touch-first apps. Some of the most popular Windows software has yet to come to Metro (not sure what term du jour is for that). Touching the iPad Pro gives me the same feelings as when I was using OS X 10.0 or 10.1: I can see the other side. Put differently, until the iPad Pro I never really wanted an iPad that much (in the sense that I didn't want to save money up for one), and now I do.
I wouldn't have bought previous versions, but I would buy a 4 (if I wasn't suffering from tech overload). It's a very nice machine and I encourage people to check it out.

P
Dec 2, 2015, 01:01 PM

IMHO What Apple needs to do is have a new purpose-built (big screens) "presentation layer" for iOS to take advantage of the extra real estate (and no split screen doesnt encompass what i'd like to see). The applications themselves wont have to change. but the way people organize their data and apps on the device needs to take advantage of the extra space.
IMHO Apple needs to make an iPad mode for iOS in general. It is still very much a phone interface extended to 1024*768 with little attention given, and none at all for the smaller display on the mini. Why does iBooks have unchangeable wide margins so the text gets too small on the mini? Why can I add six icons on a row in the Dock, but not to the springboard? Why can't I "zoom" the iPad display to fewer points, like you can on an iPhone 6 (text size won't do because of all the responsive websites reading 768 pixels wide and squeezing in their content)?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves
Dec 2, 2015, 01:42 PM

I actually bought the iPad pro before returning it, and it uses none of the extra screen space to its advantage. You are still limited to the same number of icons on the dock and the screen and the side apps. There is absolutely no change, just wider spacing between the icons which looks ridiculous. I can't run two Safari windows side by side. The settings looks ridiculous with all of that wasted space. iOS clearly wasn't optimized for the larger screen and it won't be fixed for another year at least. The only advantage is the more expensive keyboard. Other than that, iOS is exactly the same.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2015, 01:44 PM

They aren't wrong.

I can see some niche groups wanting one, I use mine for reading graphic novels and comics, but for most it's still just a huge smartphone with specialized mobile apps. The Surface Pro is a full-fledged computer.
For me, it's time to upgrade my 1st gen Air, and for my tablet use profile (in my lap, curled-up on the couch), a bigger tablet is the way to go. I actually don't want a laptop.

As I've mentioned before though, there's not much middle ground for me. 95% of the time, either a mobile device is plenty, or I need big iron.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I actually bought the iPad pro before returning it, and it uses none of the extra screen space to its advantage. You are still limited to the same number of icons on the dock and the screen and the side apps. There is absolutely no change, just wider spacing between the icons which looks ridiculous. I can't run two Safari windows side by side. The settings looks ridiculous with all of that wasted space. iOS clearly wasn't optimized for the larger screen and it won't be fixed for another year at least. The only advantage is the more expensive keyboard. Other than that, iOS is exactly the same.
Yikes. I have an air 2 and I bitch and moan about the wasted space, it must be comical on an iPad Pro. Too bad we can't control some of the settings for this stuff.

OreoCookie
Dec 2, 2015, 08:58 PM

Not "tablets" in general, the iPad Pro in specific. ie. a $900+ gigantor.
The iPad Pro isn't Apple's only tablet. The Pro will be the lowest volume model, but given its higher price, it may still contribute substantially to Apple's bottom line.
I wouldn't have bought previous versions, but I would buy a 4 (if I wasn't suffering from tech overload). It's a very nice machine and I encourage people to check it out.
The hardware is nice (although I didn't care much for the feel of Microsoft's stylus, too thin and compared to the Apple Pencil, flimsy), but the OS is the deal breaker in my book.
Originally Posted by P View Post
IMHO Apple needs to make an iPad mode for iOS in general. It is still very much a phone interface extended to 1024*768 with little attention given, and none at all for the smaller display on the mini.
Yup. The multitasking bits are the first few steps in this direction. iOS' UI was initially engineered for an iPhone, and now we have to see whether the revamped UI introduced with iOS 7 allows it to be adapted to the iPad's size.

Also, I think Apple should have increased the resolution of the 9.7" iPad a long time ago, as it stands now the 7.9" and the 9.7" sport the same resolution. That could make the 9.7" model more appropriate for multitasking.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2015, 12:23 AM

The iPad Pro isn't Apple's only tablet. The Pro will be the lowest volume model, but given its higher price, it may still contribute substantially to Apple's bottom line.
I never said it was. iPads are great, we own more than our fair share, but the Pro is too much of a niche product. After all the people have bought it as status symbols, you'll only have a few 1000 people who will get them for photo work (and very specialized photo work, at that). As I said before, it's a great graphic novel/comic reader, I'm using it right now for that very purpose, but $1000 is a lot for such a thing.

The hardware is nice (although I didn't care much for the feel of Microsoft's stylus, too thin and compared to the Apple Pencil, flimsy), but the OS is the deal breaker in my book.
Windows 10 is so much better than 8.1, after turning off snooping, I'd rather use it than OS X.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2015, 10:41 AM

IMHO Apple needs to make an iPad mode for iOS in general. It is still very much a phone interface extended to 1024*768 with little attention given, and none at all for the smaller display on the mini. Why does iBooks have unchangeable wide margins so the text gets too small on the mini? Why can I add six icons on a row in the Dock, but not to the springboard? Why can't I "zoom" the iPad display to fewer points, like you can on an iPhone 6 (text size won't do because of all the responsive websites reading 768 pixels wide and squeezing in their content)?
I agree. They need to address the shortcoming of iOS on iPad before i personally bother to upgrade. The only thing that would need to change is that one "layer" specific to iOS on iPad. And they *really* need to upgrade Safari for iOS(possibly the main reason i refuse to upgrade).

Architecturally, the long-term design should be tending to one core (kernel, APIs) with multiple UI layers (watch, phone, tablet, TV). Each UI layer should be able to evolve independently in their own separate directions (and cross-share features as required), and then you will see the best interface for each device. And maybe each device category or even by version of the device, should be able to configure low-level OS features(during installation) like scheduling algorithms, virtual memory settings, power saving features, etc. IMHO
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Dec 3, 2015 at 09:39 PM. )

OreoCookie
Dec 3, 2015, 11:21 PM

I agree. They need to address the shortcoming of iOS on iPad before i personally bother to upgrade. The only thing that would need to change is that one "layer" specific to iOS on iPad.
I'm not sure whether you need a complete new layer, I think it is fine to use the same UI paradigms as for the phone versions. You definitely need additional paradigms for multitasking and multi-window management. I like your way of viewing this as an additional layer on top, that makes sense to me. We will have to see what Apple will do with iOS 10 … I am very much intrigued already.
And they *really* need to upgrade Safari for iOS(possibly the main reason i refuse to upgrade).
What exactly do you want them to upgrade? AFAIK the rendering engine is on par with the desktop version.
Architecturally, the long-term design should be tending to one core (kernel, APIs) with multiple UI layers (watch, phone, tablet, TV). Each UI layer should be able to evolve independently in their own separate directions (and cross-share features as required), and then you will see the best interface for each device. And maybe each device category or even by version of the device, should be able to configure low-level OS features(during installation) like scheduling algorithms, virtual memory settings, power saving features, etc. IMHO
Agreed: common kernel (or a common base for the kernel with different optimizations applied specific to each platform). The way tvOS is related to iOS points to how Apple can do things in the future. When Apple gets around to introducing Swift-native APIs, I expect that they are cross-platform whenever that makes sense, and only some of them will be specific to some platforms. This is the only way forward when you want to manage and evolve 4+ platforms simultaneously.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2015, 01:31 PM

I like my new Pro. The extra space on the Springboard doesn't bother me. It feels like I just moved into a bigger apartment, and haven't bought enough new stuff to fill it.

I agree the Settings pages are a little ridiculous, but thankfully I'm not spending too much time in there.

I thought maybe it was stupid to get the 128, but even with some house cleaning, I'm still using close to 30GB. Definitely glad I sprung for the extra.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2015, 01:36 PM

Oh, I thought you were getting a Surface Pro. Oh well.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2015, 01:50 PM

Oh, I thought you were getting a Surface Pro. Oh well.
I'm not sure what I would need it for.

I need a bigger boat browser, and want to bask in the tablet OS renaissance of turn based tactics (X-Com and the like).

This is giving me that. It asked too much money for it, but that's my only complaint.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2015, 05:33 PM

This outrage over the charging is crazy. Every two weeks, let it charge overnight. I mean, do you really use it currently with no thought to the battery life that literally use it until it completely dies? OS X will alert on low battery too...

I don't see what is is so hard about just leaving it plugged in for ANY amount of time before you walk away from the computer.

The design is definitely Not Good (what's so hard about making the connector parallel to table?) but to get your panties in a twist because you can't leave it plugged in before you go to sleep once ever 2, 3 weeks is just silly.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2015, 02:53 PM

What's the point of a wireless mouse if you have to deal with wires? Do you leave the Lightning cable permanently plugged into your computer, taking up one of the very few ports Apple bestows upon you these days? Or do you unplug it on both ends and hope you don't lose or misplace the cable, then deal with craning your neck trying to find a USB port hidden in the least convenient place, the back of an iMac?

Why bother having a wireless mouse at this point?

The holy grail would be wireless charging mouse and a charging mouse pad.

P
Dec 5, 2015, 06:42 PM

That, I would pay for. I normally ignore Apple's attempts at peripherals, because their mice haven't been good since the egg mouse in the early nineties and their keyboards have been fine at best, but something like that actually makes sense.

(TAN: The trick to buying peripherals is to look up the gaming mice and keyboards. They're just as good for office work, just warrantied for more clicks and tighter movement tolerances.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2015, 06:58 PM

It'll come out as soon as they finish up making charging roadways work.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 5, 2015, 10:19 PM

With the possible exception of WATCH, Apple has been putting out a lot of products that people need and will want. The 12" Macbook has sold so well because more people want a Mac with optimum portability. The iPad Pro will sell well because of professional development utilizing iCloud. The iPad Mini 4 gets an improved color gamut, a better camera, and 2 GB of memory instead of 1 GB from the previous generation. There was also iPhone 6S+. The 4K iMac was released this year and with Intel Iris Pro graphics (which our Pro Macbook users have come to love for its efficiency). tv is finally 1080p, and a probable software update will make it easier to navigate. Magic Trackpad 2 uses Force Touch. (Magic Keyboard 2 could have benefitted from a backlit LED, oh well...) And the Beats acquisition and involvement in streaming music.

If Apple keeps their business strategy, then they will keep pushing for more "music" (later) and more "portable," and that means, in 2016, I'm guessing thinner and lighter Pro MacBooks, and an aging configuration for the desktop Pro Mac. My guesses would be: iPhone 6C, WATCH 2 (maybe with a wider screen), lighter Pro MacBooks with Skylake in gold/space gray/silver, and all will get 3D or Force Touch. The Macbook Air will be retired. The iPad Air might get a spec bump. I also predict more music accessories.

I'm glad we have a "predictions" thread since it's fun to imagine and guess what the future will be like. (We already found out this past October 21st...)

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2015, 04:16 PM

Deathwatch on the Pro is awesome. Much faster loading than the Air, and the in-engine graphics are just as spectacular, only bigger.

Non-rendered graphics are poorly rescaled in places, but this game is all about the rendering engine.

mindwaves
Dec 6, 2015, 09:15 PM

That, I would pay for. I normally ignore Apple's attempts at peripherals, because their mice haven't been good since the egg mouse in the early nineties and their keyboards have been fine at best, but something like that actually makes sense.
I believe that the Apple Magic Mouse is the best mouse Apple has ever made. I use mine every day and love it.

P
Dec 7, 2015, 06:46 AM

I got one free with the iMac, and I use it occasionally as a laptop mouse. It works, and is small enough that it is actually fine when travelling, but as soon as I need some precision in the scrolling, it falls down. I constantly overshoot and compensate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules