Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone have a Kernel Extension Developer ID?

Anyone have a Kernel Extension Developer ID?
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2016, 06:26 PM

So, I've got a USB audio device that, while a bit old, still works great, except that it requires a driver and the manufacturer doesn't think it's worth updating anymore. The thing, though, is that the driver actually still works perfectly fine with Sierra, except for one little hitch: the code signature is off, because as /usr/bin/codesign puts it, "resource envelope is obsolete." This means that the kext will only load when I have SIP turned off, which is a bit of a pain. Unfortunately, Apple requires a separate certificate for kernel extensions, so I can't just re-sign it with my own Developer ID cert. Furthermore, in order to get a kext certificate, one has to send a request to Apple along with the very specific reason you want it, and I kinda doubt they'll accept "So I can get this one audio driver to work."

Long story short, if anyone has a Developer ID cert that works for kernel extensions, and you could download the file linked below and re-sign it for me so that it'd work with SIP turned on, I'd be your friend.

https://www.roland.com/global/suppor...-c5c88bce8a21/

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
Dec 2, 2016, 09:56 AM

You can, I believe, disable only the kext signing enforcement and not the rest of SIP. Like this from a terminal:

Code:
csrutil disable csrutil enable --without kext
(apply sudo as needed, obviously). Which isn't what you wanted, I know, but I don't have a kext signing certificate, and it is better than just disabling all of SIP.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2016, 03:04 PM

Well hey, I didn't know about that option, and neither, it seems, did the usage page for csrutil. Thanks. This seems to have worked, although I did get this rather ominous warning: "Unsupported configuration requested. This is likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state." I guess I'll need to remember to set this back to the default before upgrading to macOS 10.13 (“The Lucky One”).

If anyone does have the kext signing cert to re-sign the driver so I can make this all official again, I'd still be your friend.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
Dec 3, 2016, 08:57 AM

This setting is in the NVRAM, so if it fails, this is the one case where resetting your PRAM will actually do something useful.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules