Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > what do u do for maintenance and performance in your ibook?

what do u do for maintenance and performance in your ibook?
Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2006, 05:38 PM

I have my first mac for about six months. Its an ibook g4 /14"/ 1,42ghz/ 512ram and i'm loving it. But as an old PC user, i used to reinstall winXP every once in a wile to have the system running smoothly . I know that i dont need to do this on my mac , but i would like to know what other users do.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 06:36 PM

The Disk Utility application in the /Applications/Utilities folder has a "Repair Disk Permissions" button that's handy to ensure the files on your computer have the correct UNIX permissions. This can also be done by running the command "diskutil repairPermissions" (without quotes) from the Terminal. This is considered especially good to do after an OS update.

I also force the "periodic" system functions (daily, weekly, and monthly) to run (because they can't run while the computer is asleep) by running the command "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" (without quotes) from the Terminal. This requires telling the periodic program your password. Admittedly I don't do that very often, though.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2006, 07:03 PM

I run this little application called MacJanitor once in a while. Usually once every two weeks or so. This program does the same thing as Voch explained, but without typing the command in the Terminal (yes, I am lazy). Otherwise, not much really.
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2006, 09:34 PM

In the 3 years I've had my iBook I've never reinstalled OSX on it but I'm thinking I might give it a go as I recently did a fresh install of Panther on a friend's iBook G3 600 and it ran MS Office quite a bit faster than my iBook G4 1ghz...
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2006, 12:07 AM

None of the things mentioned so far will help performance. Just enjoy your Mac.

Dr. DDS  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2006, 11:43 AM

i read something about cleaning safari's cache. is it really usefull?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 11:49 AM

Safari should clean its own cache if it needs to. Safari may take longer to start up with a full cache, but frequently visited web pages should load faster
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Dr. DDS  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2006, 10:07 PM

I read that nJm noticed that his friend's ibook g3 600 was faster than his g4 1ghz after reinstalling OS. Why does it happens? Is there a way to reset the OS?

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2006, 11:47 PM

i run macjanitor every week or two, and restart her maybe once a month when things start going a bit screwy (like itunes taking forever to wipe my ipod). other than that i have yet to do anything in 18 months.

sminch

Dr. DDS  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2006, 11:01 AM

i also read something about cleaning system cache in http://danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/iMov...esIssues.shtml. Is it ok to do?

Forum Links
Forum Rules