Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 and Extensions Issue?

9.1 and Extensions Issue?
mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2001, 11:57 AM

Since installing 9.1, my Dual 450's been running like a charm. Why fix something that ain't broken. If I don't touch them, it's fust fine. But the second I try to open my Extensions, the machine crashes. I need to spacebar it at startup in order to open it and disable or enable something. Could ATM 4.6 be doing that or something else? All my extensions work fine in what they do, just the opening of the darned manager.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

confuser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 10:21 AM

Sounds like it's going to be difficult doing some troubleshooting of possible extension conflicts if you can't even use your extensions manager.

May I suggest you try the free demo of Conflict Catcher for as long as you need it to solve your problem.

Get it here:

< http://www.casadyg.com/products/conf...8/default.html >

------------------
Kill the brain and you kill the ghoul.
Kill the brain and you kill the ghoul.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2001, 11:21 AM

First, make sure to give EM more memory, 1500k should suffice.
Try the same with other system apps, esp. Software Update (3).
Try deleting the EM prefs - didn't help some - there are a
number of users w/ problem(s) with EM.

Try removing the preferences folder entirely out of system folder.
When you installed 9.1/9.1 update did you select Mac OS 9.0.4 All?

there are some extensions I had that are no longer needed. And also, there were some 3rd party that caused freezes and conflicts on boot - so having just Apple set at least avoids that and makes it easier to get started.

Conflict Catcher 8.0.6 is still not updated for 9.1; it doesn't select system folders properly, so don't want that problem; doesn't know what resources to merge; you can import the EM set for Mac OS 9.1 Base and All into CC8. I'm not using it - after swearing by it, never at it, the loss of a programmer and lack of update.

Extension Overload can help a little but is lacking in being able to control sets, packages and much much more to really be an EM substitute.

Gregory

mrchin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2001, 02:43 PM

Good thing Gregory. Will do! I do have the 9.1 all and base and basically just made a copy of the 9.1 All set and Turned on all of the crap I use. Guess I'll need to find the problem extension. I'll find me a copy of CC 8. Not 8.0.6 right?
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

chatlene
Feb 11, 2001, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by mrchin:
Good thing Gregory. Will do! I do have the 9.1 all and base and basically just made a copy of the 9.1 All set and Turned on all of the crap I use. Guess I'll need to find the problem extension. I'll find me a copy of CC 8. Not 8.0.6 right?
CC8.07 is doing fine with 9.1. Try it!

VRL
Senior User
Feb 11, 2001, 11:01 AM

Good friend of mine had a similar problem. Gave the Extensions Manager control panel more memory (in Get Info window) and it solved the problem.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

petek
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2001, 11:06 PM

I had the same problem with EM and a couple of other CPs after installing 9.1 (clean, replacing 8.6). I upped the memory on all the CPs which allowed it (in other words, applications masquerading as CPs) and haven't had any of them act up since. The same thing happened to a friend when he updated from 9.0.4 to 9.1.

Odd that this was necessary, though. I don't remember ever having to do it before with any previous Mac OS, and I do have Virtual Memory on (192 MB RAM, 193 MB VM - default).

Forum Links
Forum Rules