Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > macosrumors.com down

macosrumors.com down
ScotHamedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 09:25 PM

Anyone know what the story is behind macosrumors.com being dead, at least to my connection, for a few weeks now?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2004, 09:50 PM

They had a deal with their ISP that if they successfully get EVERY possible rumor wrong within a 2-year time period, their site will be banninated�...you can figure out what happened...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2004, 09:59 PM

Oh no... the worst rumor site in existance is down...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 10:13 PM

dns trouble it seems is the story. if you really want (if you really really want) to access the wonderful insight offered by him try http://199.105.116.92/
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2004, 10:16 PM

the dog might have unplugged the computer

Turias
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 10:39 PM

Ugh, what's been pissing me off lately with MOSR is the way they say, "Next update tonight" and then don't update the site for two days. Then continually try to get you back to their site by promising updates and then never delivering. They say, "G5 rumors this afternoon", and when the update is posted 10 hours later, nothing is said about the G5.

The site is crap. I hope it remains down for a long time.

k2director
Senior User
May 26, 2004, 01:52 PM

What's the story behind that site, anybody know? Is it one guy, or a paid staff? The text seems to indicate a number of people work in an "office", but who knows.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2004, 02:02 PM

I remember a time many years ago when they actually used to be reliable. I don't claim to know what happened to them, but they're little more than a shadow of what they once were, that's for sure.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 26, 2004, 02:07 PM

macosrumors.com down
Dammit you're a tease. I went to their site hoping to see it was down, but in fact it's up.

You suck... for making me go there.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by k2director:
What's the story behind that site, anybody know? Is it one guy, or a paid staff? The text seems to indicate a number of people work in an "office", but who knows.
From a blog somewhere in the wild, "I guess ol' Ryan Meader (the guy running that site for many years, apparently still from his parent's house in Maine somewhere) got mad over something, again, and blanked his page in protest." The guy has an atrocious reputation for accuracy, or an incredible repuation for inaccuracy, depending which way you look at it. He's also reputed to be a teenager living in his mom's basement somewhere.

Btw. I'm still waiting for that frigin email reply from you on your supposed sci-fi epos.
weird wabbit

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 02:15 PM

Surprisingly enough, I hadn't noticed. I can't believe they're still going.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
May 26, 2004, 02:22 PM

This must be the 10th thread with the same subject in the past 2 years.

The fool probably forgot to pay a bill and something got canned. The then begged his mom for the $20 and got it back up and running.

"Hello, what have we here?

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I remember a time many years ago when they actually used to be reliable. I don't claim to know what happened to them, but they're little more than a shadow of what they once were, that's for sure.
Yeah, back in the Jobs Returns era, Meader actually had some info worth posting about. Then he "redesigned" the site for some reason, which made it look really crappy, then just spiralled down the sink of irrelevance.
Originally posted by k2director:
It's one guy and his made-up minions, posting from "MOSR Headquarters" aka "Black Light Media" both of which are probably a G3 in a basement.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
That was before Ryan stepped in. Back in 1996 it was run by some other teenager, he tried to buy a computer over the internet with a stolen credit card and got caught, they took his home computer and he lost the domain, ryan snatched it up and it was all downhill from there.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 04:15 PM

That was Ethan Allen. (No relation to the furniture or the American Revolutionary War soldier).

Both his site and Ryan Meader's site were updated at the same time for several months. Not long after Ethan Allen's site disappeared, Ryan Meader bought the macosrumers.com domain.

Ryan Meader's Mac OS Rumors site was one of the most praised Mac rumor/news sites during its first few years of existance. It was often the first to break news and was more often than not right.

The problem as I see it was that most of MOSR's leaks came from Apple and clone makers. Not long after Steve took over the top job at Apple, the clones lost their licenses and Apple got serious about enforcing its NDAs - especially with its own employees. Not to mention that Apple began leaking false rumors to make the rumor sites look bad.

That and the fact that many of the people who worked for Ryan Meader had nothing nice to say about him after they left MOSR for other rumor sites.

Which left Ryan Meader with nothing.

So he began copying info from other rumor sites and claiming it as his own in addition to making up his own rumors.

My personal favorite period was when he would report that something spectacular would happen and when it didn't, he'd come up with an elaborate excuse as to why it didn't.
( Last edited by BasketofPuppies; May 26, 2004 at 04:23 PM. )
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
My personal favorite period was when he would report that something spectacular would happen and when it didn't, he'd come up with an excuse why it didn't.
No way the best one was when he said that he just got off a secure video conference with Apple as they were demonstrating future hardware for MacOSRumors.

He must be totally nuts.

I also remember some site came out with lots of picts of him and his fat girlfriend

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 04:29 PM

Once they were good.... Now they are not. I would have given up when all of the sources went away with the NDA's. I remember first reading about the beige G3 there many years ago.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
No way the best one was when he said that he just got off a secure video conference with Apple as they were demonstrating future hardware for MacOSRumors.
LOL, I remember that one. At that point I figured he had totally lost it.

The best excuses were the lost emails, dead hard drive, etc. Or when he supposedly lost the "archives" aka all the evidence of his lying.

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 04:50 PM

At least it is entertaining to read.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
dns trouble it seems is the story. if you really want (if you really really want) to access the wonderful insight offered by him try http://199.105.116.92/
MOSR must be truely dead. I haven't tried the 199 link for a couple weeks, but today it dosen't work.

Their normal macosrumors.com hasn't worked in over a month. If it was my site, I'd get that fixed within 48 hours.

I'm not sure why I even bother checking it once a week. It wasn't that great, but if it dosen't get fixed, I'm goint to take the link off my homepage.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 20, 2004, 03:46 PM

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2004, 04:23 PM

Down and out. The site use to be a fun read.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
Doesn't work anymore.

Does it mean they have really folded??

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
Doesn't work anymore.

Does it mean they have really folded??
Let's hope so.

And please let this thread die. I'd like to forget that MOSR ever existed...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 10:25 AM

Ryan and Sarah were rushed to the orthodontist early this morning, stuck in a rather embarrasing position. Seems they got a little lip-locked after an all-night rumourmongering session and when they went to come up for air, the railroad tracks had crossed.
MOSRR received the following eyewitness report:

A Toyota Sienna was seen heading into the all-night dental clinic in downtown Portland at four AM eastern this morning. The vanity plate on the van appeared to read MOSR COM.
MOSRR? MacOSRumors Rumors?

How does one drive when ones braces are locked with anothers?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 08:01 PM

just for the fun of it...does any1 remember this from 1999(?)

I was the one who did the rendering he he he

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:20 AM

I liked MOSR ... it was entertaining ... I remember when they reported about the G5 like 6 months after the G4 was released ...
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2004, 11:34 PM

They're baaacccccckkkkk....kinda:

http://macosrumors.blogspot.com/

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Unfortunately for Toby and another member of the MOSR staff, The wall Toby hit was adjacent to the master bathroom, where a member of the Black Light Media Staff was bathing. The force to the wall, shattered the tub, sending waves of Water from the bathroom into the nearby Black Light Media Sever room. Although Ryan attempted to absorb as much water as he could using a bag of the new MOSR t-shirts (coming soon), the water was too much for the shirts. The water flooded into the Server room where the MOSR core server lay. The water soon hit an outlet and sparks flew everywhere, starting a small fire and blowing the power. The police arrived within minutes as did the fire department, due to the fire. The Fire Department went in with hoses, and flushed the whole room and all the servers. This is also the reason our sister site, Xerces.com has been unavailable.

Your head-hancho was also rushed in a separate ambulance because he was the Black Light Media official bathing in the tub at the time of the accident.

It's not the whole message but give me a break. Does he really expect us to belive this shiite? And BTW, the message was posted at 4:20.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2004, 11:49 PM

That's funny as crap.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2004, 03:32 AM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
The Fire Department went in with hoses, and flushed the whole room and all the servers. This is also the reason our sister site, Xerces.com has been unavailable.
Okay, I'm not much of an expert on these things, but when a fire has been started by water flooding into electrical equipment, isn't flushing the room with water sort of a dumb way of putting out the fire?

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2004, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Okay, I'm not much of an expert on these things, but when a fire has been started by water flooding into electrical equipment, isn't flushing the room with water sort of a dumb way of putting out the fire?
You're right, when it's an electric-based fire they don't use water because water is a conductor. However, what they do use does come out of a hose and it is liquidity, which is why he might have used the word "flushing" (if they didn't know it was an electric-based fire, chances are they used a formula that can put out all three types of fires). Anyway, I'm just playing devil's advocate. Chances are he's making up a large portion, if not all, of his story.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2004, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by ironknee:
just for the fun of it...does any1 remember this from 1999(?)

I was the one who did the rendering he he he

It showeth not up.

What was it?

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by soul searching:
Chances are he's making up a large portion, if not all, of his story.
That's how I read it. I think it is someone imatating Meader, and succeeding at doing a good job.

Soaking up the water with MOSR t-shirts. The promise of "over 50 new features" to "the new MOSR". The quad g5 rumors. The plea for money. It has to be fake.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2004, 07:19 PM

Site News We're back....almost. After an enforced summer vacation, we are working to bring the macosrumors.com domain back up. Xerces.com is already back up and working towards a second Public Beta.

Please note that any other sites claiming to be MOSR, or by our founder Ryan Meader, are fraudulent fakes and any requests for money by these sites are scams. macosrumors.com is the ONLY place (barring the temporary site here @ 199.105.116.92 aka sandbox.xerces.com) where legitimate MacOSRumors content is available.

If you'd like to contact us, [email protected] is our temporary email address; otherwise, stay tuned for the return of the Original Mac Rumor site in August!
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 08:15 PM

Pure bullsh*t.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2004, 08:37 PM

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. They were no more or less reliable than all the other rumor sites. Only difference is that they didn't offer free email and paid webhosting.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
It showeth up not.
Fixed.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 10:20 PM

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2004, 10:59 PM

i love how he gives the "percent of accuracy" to each rumor. where the hell does he come up with this stuff?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 1, 2004, 12:13 AM

I must admit though, as idiotic as his articles are, he gets a LOT more comments in his blog than I do in my blog.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 12:33 AM

Rrrrriiiigggghhhtttt...
not to defend the guy and i don't know for sure exactly where the truth lies...but according to his latest post at http://199.105.116.92 that other blog site is a fake and not really him...and when you really think about it...it does come off as some kind of parody...but a pretty good one.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 02:19 AM

"That's right folks, we're still alive (and enjoying our enforced vacation)"

Enforced? Did his shrink make him go away?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2004, 04:06 AM

I thought that site was as dead as Reagan.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 11:49 AM

The most disgusting thing about this fall of MacOSRumors was how he used "the death of one team member (Joshua Tan, a frequent content contributor) and the father-in-law of another" as an excuse for the site being down for three months. There's a way to honor the dead, and there's a way to pull things out of a hat for sympathy and distraction. How utterly offensive that was.

And I do believe the blog is an obvious fake. Beyond the difference in content, the writing style is completely unlike Meader.

My favorite thing about MOSR (and MacCentral) was always the refresh tag. Who loads these sites and leaves them open waiting for them to refresh every 5 minutes? Absurd. Especially when it's MOSR and never changes.
( Last edited by TheJoshu; Aug 1, 2004 at 11:56 AM. )

yukon
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 12:11 AM

Dunno why everyone hates him so much, he does put on a little charade to look a bit better maybe, serves a purpose for the site I suppose. The site often posts interesting ideas for Apple products, and it does seem to actively listen for rumors, so it gets a few right. If anything, it is sorta like a blog with some guy saying "I hear they might do this, I figure they'll do that", worth a look every couple weeks, at least just to find out when the indestructible quad core octoprocessor G6's made of dreams will be realized ;-)
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
Dunno why everyone hates him so much, he does put on a little charade to look a bit better maybe, serves a purpose for the site I suppose. The site often posts interesting ideas for Apple products, and it does seem to actively listen for rumors, so it gets a few right. If anything, it is sorta like a blog with some guy saying "I hear they might do this, I figure they'll do that", worth a look every couple weeks, at least just to find out when the indestructible quad core octoprocessor G6's made of dreams will be realized ;-)
Because people know he is a 18 year old nerd in his apartment but he always writes stories like he just came out of a MOSR staff meeting with 15 people in the MOSR towers.

The worst was the lie about about Apple setting up a "Private secure stream" to demo future products to MOSR staff. Who did he think would go for that?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2004, 10:40 AM

I'll be darn after many months, the link finally works. I was going to delete it a couple weeks ago, but forgot.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
I was going to delete it a couple weeks ago, but forgot.
Don't let the fact that it's up now stop you from deleting it...

nforcer
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
"That's right folks, we're still alive (and enjoying our enforced vacation)"

Enforced? Did his shrink make him go away?
I pwned teh servar!

Forum Links
Forum Rules