Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2 hd, system on one, everything else on the other?

2 hd, system on one, everything else on the other?
Rumor
Dec 26, 2006, 04:23 PM

Currently, I have everything on one hard drive. Since it's set up that way, I cannot rebuld the hd with Diskwarrior and Warcraft 3 recently quit working. I tried a reinstall but it still acts like it opens then closes immediately.

Can I move all my system files to my slave drive and switch the drive to master or do I need to do a complete reinstall?

Edit: I tried repairing permissions, but that didn't work.

Edit2: I have a Powermac G4 500mhz, 1.25g pc133 sdram, 120g of hd space (110 and 10), 128mb ATI vid card.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2006, 06:44 PM

If you boot from the DW CD, you can then rebuild your main drive. It will run slow as molasses, but it does work

If you move a fubarred system to another drive, the problems go with it, so that's not a fix.

After correcting whatever is wrong with the main drive/system, I would suggest you keep your main OS on the fastest drive, the clone it to the slave drive using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. I would also suggest you a drive bigger than 10GB for your secondary drive.

That way you will have an exact copy of everything, one that is bootable, and you can switch over to it when maintenance is needed on the main drive !
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Rumor  (op)
Dec 26, 2006, 08:20 PM

I tried booting from the cd (hold option at the startup sound) but it doesn't recognize the cd as bootable.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 08:55 PM

Odd. Can you select it in the system prefs, then re-boot?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Rumor  (op)
Dec 26, 2006, 10:25 PM

Tried that and it still booted to the HD.

tr
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 12:34 AM

I tried booting from the cd (hold option at the startup sound) but it doesn't recognize the cd as bootable.
shouldn't you hold down the "C" key to boot from a cd? i thought "option" only worked for hd's.

tr

Forum Links
Forum Rules