Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Grant Steve Jobs His Visionary New Home!

Grant Steve Jobs His Visionary New Home!
Benton
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2006, 02:41 PM

It is past time for Steve Jobs to exercise his vision for a new home before his family grows much older and his children move on with their lives. Who can imagine how his vision for a 21st century minimalist domicile maybe influenced along the way by the Apple retail experience? Would others consider an Appleesque designed Machome? Consider how the Mac print press could leverage their offerings with examples of new lifestyle surroundings. A whole new advertising realm could spring up. Consider MacDirectory Magazine as a lifestyle example for show casing architectural and decorating themes.
May we wish Steve an early 52nd birthday surprise with the demise of the obstructionists of his former abode.
http://www.friendsofthejacklinghouse.org/index.html
STEVE JOBS: Where is my APPLE Rewards Visa Card? Other LOYALISTS have SONY Rewards Visa Card: DISNEY Rewards Visa Card: ESPN Rewards Visa Card!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 02:45 PM

I would love to see Apple/Steve Jobs model a home.

Naturally with OS X built in

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 03:05 PM

My kitchen could use a dock and expose.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 04:46 PM

OS X Home Edition?

Benton  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2006, 02:55 AM

Good Luck Steve,
Oral Arguments 12-06-06
1st Appellate District Change court Court data last updated: 11/18/2006 05:05 PM Case Summary Docket Scheduled Actions Briefs Disposition Parties and Attorneys Trial Court Case Summary Trial Court Case: 444270 Court of Appeal Case: A113376 Division: 3 Case Caption: Uphold Our Heritage v. Town of Woodside Case Type: Filing Date: 02/24/2006 Oral Argument Date/Time:12/06/2006 09:00 AM

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 03:01 AM

He knew what he got when he bought a historic house. I have no sympathy. That doesn't mean I don't grant him his new house. He can build it elsewhere. It's not like he couldn't afford a new piece of real estate.

Benton  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2006, 03:35 AM

TETENAL,
SJ bought the house when it was about 60 years old. It is very unlikely the realtor represented it as an historic landmark when he bought it. Any new home SJ builds will be with the input of the architects used for Apple's Retail Operations and Larry Ellison's developers. The community did not raise a ruckus when Ellison transformed his property into a Japanese retreat. The structure Ellison dismantled remains in cargo containers waiting for someone to assemble it at a property of their choice. SJ has offered a similar arrangement but with no takers. SJ can not be compelled to improve the Jackling House, so what is a reasonable solution? Why deny a man with a vision the opportunity to create a new home for his family. In all likely hood his vision will be more appreciated a century from now than what exists there now.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2006, 05:11 AM

After reading various links I still cannot figure out what makes this house a historical site. It does not appear to have any unique properties other than it's huge and it's old. Two things I hate.

I say forget this whole appeals process. Track down a convicted arsonist and make a deal.

( Last edited by Naaaaak; Dec 5, 2006 at 06:04 AM. Reason: added image)
To be determined later.

iCol
Senior User
Dec 5, 2006, 06:55 AM

It really depends... the architect of the building is well known, and so there are other examples of his work dotted around the US... but are there any surviving examples of this kind of property still standing today that were designed by G.W. Smith?

Saying that, and after having a look at pictures of the property, it really doesn't seem to have any outstanding characteristics, it is a pretty generic Spanish Revival design - it really isn't that much of an individual property.

The buildings links to historical events seems tenious at best - so a few famous people went to a few parties there? So what?

Steve Jobs shouldn't have let it fall into such a state of disrepair - but I don't see why he shouldn't be able to demolish the property if it is not protected... (I know about listed buildings and conservation areas in the UK - but not sure of their US equivalents)...

I don't know... really. But to me, the house doesn't look that impressive. It looks a bit, well, tacky to me - it looks cheap, like many large 'new money' houses in the states from the same era - no class.
F is for Fooyork.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 10:28 AM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak View Post
I say forget this whole appeals process. Track down a convicted arsonist and make a deal.
There's always money in the banana stand.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Benton  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2006, 11:43 PM

NO WORD ABOUT DECEMBER 20th ARGUMENT?

1st Appellate District

Court data last updated: 12/29/2006 07:05 PM

Trial Court Case: 444270
Court of Appeal Case: A113376
Division: 3
Case Caption: Uphold Our Heritage v. Town of Woodside
Filing Date: 02/24/2006
Oral Argument Date/Time: 12/20/2006 09:00 AM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2006, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Benton View Post
TETENAL,
SJ bought the house when it was about 60 years old. It is very unlikely the realtor represented it as an historic landmark when he bought it. Any new home SJ builds will be with the input of the architects used for Apple's Retail Operations and Larry Ellison's developers. The community did not raise a ruckus when Ellison transformed his property into a Japanese retreat. The structure Ellison dismantled remains in cargo containers waiting for someone to assemble it at a property of their choice. SJ has offered a similar arrangement but with no takers. SJ can not be compelled to improve the Jackling House, so what is a reasonable solution? Why deny a man with a vision the opportunity to create a new home for his family. In all likely hood his vision will be more appreciated a century from now than what exists there now.
Dude, take a breath now and then.

-t

Benton  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2006, 01:10 AM

turtle777:
you're not helping. please lend your investigative skills.
Benton

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Benton View Post
turtle777:
you're not helping. please lend your investigative skills.
Benton

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules