Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help me! cannot open cube...

Help me! cannot open cube...
netgo
Aug 25, 2002, 08:27 PM

I bought a new hard drive to update my cube. I tried to open it but I could not.

I could open this cube long ago but this time...

The handle come out after I press it. But I cannot bring out guts. Something's stuck.

Anybody know similiar problems and solutions?

I toggled handle many times and tried to get this out but it did not work.

Please help
Apple G4 Cube 450/1.5GB(3 133Mhz 512MB Dimm)/CDRW/WD 7200RPM 120GB/GeForce3/Fan/Apple 17" LCD/SoundStick/HP G85
External WD 7200RPM 120GB firewire
Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse
iMic, Palm usb-serial, a Router, powered usb hub

superlarry
Senior User
Aug 25, 2002, 10:35 PM

it's probably the cord for the Airport card-> antenna which has gotten loose and in the way of the innards when you try to open it up. it's happened to me and others before (i'm assuming you don't have an airport card in because it's not listed in your sig). unfortunately, i forget which part of the cube this is in.. i'll check once i shut mine down and come back and post something more specific. if you can see that cord as of now, you can usually just poke it out of the way with a screwdriver (carefully, of course).

superlarry
Senior User
Aug 26, 2002, 01:39 PM

arright, that cord is on the right side of the cube's insides when you're opening it up and the cube is oriented so that video card is at the bottom. try playing around there - you'll probably be able to sight the cord inside. it's a silvery-white color.

netgo  (op)
Aug 26, 2002, 01:58 PM

Thank you very much!!

Letter opener did the job!
Apple G4 Cube 450/1.5GB(3 133Mhz 512MB Dimm)/CDRW/WD 7200RPM 120GB/GeForce3/Fan/Apple 17" LCD/SoundStick/HP G85
External WD 7200RPM 120GB firewire
Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse
iMic, Palm usb-serial, a Router, powered usb hub

Forum Links
Forum Rules