Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Dockbar Design Challange

Dockbar Design Challange
BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 12:46 PM

Alright the last forum for the dockbar seems to be a hit, so now i want to make all of your wonderful creative people to design the best dockbar you can think of. Here is the basic layout right now. We will give credit for any thing that we would end up using. We really want to make the dockbar a community product. Hence all of the questions!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2004, 12:57 PM

Let the good ideas come! How about this, the persons idea that we wind up using will receive a free copy of Dockbar!

Jan Van Boghout
Mar 4, 2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Let the good ideas come! How about this, the persons idea that we wind up using will receive a free copy of Dockbar!
Why only use one? People like options, especially when it comes to Dock replacements

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
Why only use one? People like options, especially when it comes to Dock replacements
Oh we will have more than one!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2004, 06:47 PM

Anyone?

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 12:03 PM

I don't know if this was asked already, but will it have a horizontal layout optional like Windows? AKA, put it on the bottom of the screen.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

pope52
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2004, 01:43 PM

To what degree will the layout be customizable? For example, the "Go" button sticks out a bit too much for my liking.

Also, the ability to lock the dividers (ala XP start menu) after you have set the appropriate widths.

Perhaps the option to hide all other applications/windows when any one particular window is active.

The ability to hide the menubar at the top of the screen when dockbar is active.

The ability to configure the search engine at the bottom or add more search boxes (or perhaps just a dropdown menu, although more search boxes at one time might be interesting).

The ability to drag/drop items into the "Go" menu or "quicklaunch" menu equivalent.

Plugin support (this would allow iTunes controls, multiple desktops, etc. etc. without adding bloat to the overall application itself).

Do be sure that the application isn't bloated. I would be willing to sacrifice functionality for good code.

Customizable contextual menus in the "Go" menu. For example, you can create/sort all of the applications/folders in there. Also, the ability to browse the file system hierarchy from the "Go" menu would be nice too.

Mmm... The End. Good luck.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I don't know if this was asked already, but will it have a horizontal layout optional like Windows? AKA, put it on the bottom of the screen.
Possibly... How about some image ideas?

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 02:44 PM

Sorry, I'm not much of an artist... but what about just a plain Windows XP rip for Max's Mac OS XP theme?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Sorry, I'm not much of an artist... but what about just a plain Windows XP rip for Max's Mac OS XP theme?
Nah... we want it to be original! I am wanting to make the following ones:

Night - All black/red
Star Trek - loosly off oc lcars
Spring - green?
Winter - blue's

Those are just some ideas. Maybe if I have time I can make sketches of what they *might* look like.

ambush
Banned
Mar 8, 2004, 04:36 PM

Here's a challenge for you: try to spell challenge correctly

Forum Links
Forum Rules