Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.2 Bugs

10.4.2 Bugs (Page 2)
analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by tkmd
Strange I started up the SU program and as it was searching for updates it crashed- NEVER had this happened before. Went to the apple site to check out what was going on :

Software Update quits unexpectedly with Mac OS X 10.4

It's possible that Software Update could unexpectedly quit when installing software in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (via a network connection other than your built-in Ethernet port such as AirPort), but there's a quick and easy fix.[...]

So I tried it- SU still crashes so I manually dled the 10.4.2 package. Has any had this problem. Why would an update crash SU? Explanations are welcome.
Whatever the reason, it's one of the listed fixes in 10.4.2.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 14, 2005, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jerommeke
I noticed the Adium icons were placed in the trash by the update. They are all JPG's.

Some new bugs and bugs that were not fixed:
- regardless of the setting, the screen still reduces brightness before sleep
- the computer doesn't use the given password when connecting to a TTLS 802.11x network and thus asks for a password every startup
Yeah, I've been getting annoyed by the screen dimming since 10.4, but I thought it was settings-related and hadn't got to the point of calling it a bug ... now there'll be no stopping me!

I've also found that they haven't solved the Finder sidebar problem, where it suggests that you are, for instance, in your home folder, when you demonstrably are not, and in fact you want to be, but now can't click it to go there. This was really the Tiger bug that I encountered most often in 10.4 / 10.4.1.

Also not yet fixed is playing Tetris under emacs via Terminal, unless you can play black on black! X11 gets it right, but the graphics are much more old-school than Terminal managed on Panther!

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2005, 01:39 AM

Reduces brightness before sleep? Why is the a problem if its going to sleep?

I'd like to know why they insist on assuming every network is using WPA Enterprise when I want to setup a connection to it. My work network uses LEAP and I still have to go through the whole "Other" network hoopla to connect to it manually.. ug..
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2005, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
• Window resizing is still slow.
I think we all need to give up on that one.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2005, 02:31 AM

On any new hardware, resizing is pretty damn good in Tiger. Not so much if you have a slow CPU and video card, but G4s over a GHz (especially duals) should resize pretty well.

bmmp
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2005, 02:47 AM

Man. What happened to dashboard?
Before 10.4.2, when I downloaded Widgets, all I had to do is click twice, once to download the widget and one more time to confirm the download application. Now I have to confirm the widget installation and click "Keep" when dashboard automatically opens up? Can we change this?

Fusion  (op)
Senior User
Jul 14, 2005, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I think we all need to give up on that one.
I agree. This issue is obviously not on Apple priority list.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2005, 03:42 AM

Indeed, I also suspect something in the hardware configuration as some people tend to say they do not suffer this. My question to you is thus: what is the hardware which gives this problem for you? I can not find andy Energy Saver settings to trash, so I'm calling it a bug for easyness.

And it is annoying, because it's ok that it is going to sleep, but I don't want the computer to dim when I'm just walking around in my room, as my sleep time is set to 5 minutes, which means dimming in 3-4 minutes.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 14, 2005, 07:37 AM

Exactly. I work with my PowerBook and a PC, sometimes in tandem. It's useless if I'm trying to read something on the PB screen and I can't because I've been ignoring it for like one minute and it has gone all dark on me ... and for no reason. It's not just that it goes dark when it's going to go to sleep - it's that it goes quite dim way before that!

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2005, 08:32 AM

After about four mins if inactivity, my PB's screen dims. It's just the backlight turning off. It turns back on the minute I hit something. It doesn't bother me all that much, but I think it started doing this the last 10.3 update, can't remember. I'm used to it now.

Try Energy Saver > Options > Other Options > Auto Reduce Brightness before sleep

You can also try setting your Screen to sleep after the screen saver starts.
Sieb
Blackbook

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mac & Cheese
Were you one of the ones who trashed Dashboard in the "Dashboard Sucks!!" thread? Just kidding...
Heck no! I freakin love dashboard and I'm really pissed that it's totally, completely broken. I don't want to reinstall the whole OS but I can't figrue out what's wrong.

mmcroberts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 09:48 AM

Since upgrading to 10.4.2, I am unable to use the RSS Visualizer screensaver. Either this is a bug, or they have changed (read increased) the minimum requirements for running Quartz Extreme.

I'm on a 867Mhz TiBook with 768Mb RAM; under 10.4.0 & 10.4.1 I could run the RSS Visualizer, but I could NOT get other Quartz Extreme / Core Image effects to work...

Snarf13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 10:35 AM

The apple-space spotlight shortcut broke for me when I installed 10.4.2. It is enabled in both the spotlight and keyboard/mouse preference panes, but still does not work. Spotlight works fine otherwise, just the keyboard shortcut has stopped working. I haven't found a fix yet.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 06:21 PM

Software update had stopped working for me sometime before 10.4.2, and it still doesn't work with 10.4.2 installed (it crashes half way though checking for updates).

I can make it work again by deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist - but it will crash again next time I run it.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Scruff
Software update had stopped working for me sometime before 10.4.2, and it still doesn't work with 10.4.2 installed (it crashes half way though checking for updates).

I can make it work again by deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist - but it will crash again next time I run it.
Download the Combo updater?
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 14, 2005, 10:39 PM

Another thing I've been noticing and finding annoying, but it's probably the fault of individual applications...: window positions and sizes can end up completely changed after changing screen resolution. I've noticed this a couple of times with iCal in the last few days - it really makes a mess of things!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by mmcroberts
Since upgrading to 10.4.2, I am unable to use the RSS Visualizer screensaver. Either this is a bug, or they have changed (read increased) the minimum requirements for running Quartz Extreme.

I'm on a 867Mhz TiBook with 768Mb RAM; under 10.4.0 & 10.4.1 I could run the RSS Visualizer, but I could NOT get other Quartz Extreme / Core Image effects to work...
I don't think Apple increased the minimum requirements. I can still run the RSS Visualizer screensaver just fine on my 800Mhz TiBook with 512Mb RAM.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2005, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by andretan
Download the Combo updater?
But I'm already running 10.4.2

El Maestro
Jul 15, 2005, 11:04 AM

I've found that the OS forgot some preferences and settings after I updated (PB 1.67 17" 1.5 GB RAM).

For example, I experienced the missing clock in the menubar, but when I went into the date and time preferences, the box to show the clock was unchecked. I checked it and the clock is no longer AWOL.

Then, I discovered that the OS wasn't acting properly with respect to my energy saver settings: it wouldn't dim the screen, sleep the display and sleep the system, etc. So I restarted, played with the perferences (experimented with different time values, etc.) and now all works as expected.

Aside from these few minor things, the upgrade is working pretty well, Safari is a bit faster and the Dashboard is more stable...but not the third party scoreboard widget. I finally got tired of it so I trashed it. Buggy as hell. It fixed a Dashboard issue where if you go into the DB with no Internet connection, the configd process will eat 100% of the processor time.

So, it was a bit annoying, but nothing catastrophic, and now I'm back running smoothly.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 02:37 PM

it did NOT fix these reported bugs:

Preview:
In all other versions if I opened up a bunch of images in preview (so it shows them in a drawer) I could then move the original files to a different location in the finder. If I do this in Tiger Preview closes the window and all the images have to be re-opened in the new location.

Preview also used to let me take an image from the drawer and drag it to another folder (say on the desktop) or the desktop itself where it would make a copy of it. Now it is hit or miss. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't turning the cursor into a "no smoking sign" thing. Permissions are all correct. Also if you drag a thumbnail from the drawer to some parts of the screen it deletes the thumbnail from the drawer in a POOF but doesn't delete the file itself. Strange.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 15, 2005, 04:52 PM

They also took away the ability to view pages in the drawer just by name, without thumbnails! I can't understand the point of taking away options like that. Similarly with Mail and the ability to set to view all images just as icons in messages - crazy. It seems they're going for more and more uniformity across everyone's macs, but this is the first time it has annoyed me.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 08:35 PM

My Tiger problems:

iChat -
Activity Monitor still show the "iChatAgent (Not Responding)" whatever the heck that means.

I still have major iChat problems. Does not login, not enough bandwidth, poor video quality, etc.

I am a little peeved at Apple for advertising iChat on their site with those pristing video quality examples, which obviously never took place.

Dashboard -
The Dashboard Manager thingy has good intentions, but of all things, is poorly designed I think.

Dock-
The Dock still sometimes freezes in a certain state.

Bluetooth-
Any bluetooth mouse other than Apple's own mouse seems to be rather crappy. I have tried the Radtech BT510, the MacMice "the Mouse BT", and now the Kensington PilotMouse Mini Bluetooth, and either they don't pair or stay paired, or have poor tracking. Major bummer.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 01:52 AM

Try Energy Saver > Options > Other Options > Auto Reduce Brightness before sleep
"...regardless of the setting..."
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2005, 02:31 AM

I just got the MS Bluetooth Intellimouse Exlorer.. Other than having to use Control Mate to assign a function to buttons 4 and 5, it works fine. It does go to sleep after a bit of inactivity, but I move it and it comes back. If it saves battery, I won't complain. I haven't had any noticable problems with 10.4.2
Sieb
Blackbook

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 07:16 AM

Apple Customer Service helped me with the screen dimming. Zapping the PRAM solved my problem.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Anybody else having problems with TV Tracker, a widget from Monkey Business Labs? I cannot get it to connect and pull up the TV listings since upgrading to v10.4.2...there again, I could use less TV in my life. It's a sign from Apple!

Mine works, Just updated to the newest tvtacker too and it works, maybe you need to get the latest?

Tom

mr. burns
Senior User
Jul 16, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by littlegreenspud
Tried that! (Does not work )
And tried rebooting...

It seems that App-switcher is grabbing the button press before Dashboard gets to see it.

yeah wtf. that happened to me too on my logitech. i have buttons on the top and bottom of the the mouse wheel for up and down scrolling and the down scrolling button now does the app switcher. VERY ANNOYING.

not all who wander are lost.

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2005, 12:14 AM

Does anyone have a preferred Airport network that uses LEAP authentication? Whenever I add a LEAP network in the Airport pane of the network control panel, it shows up as WEP and will not automatically connect to the LEAP network. Worse yet, I can't delete it - the System Preferences app crashes as soon as I press the "-" button to remove it. This worked fine in 10.4.1.

I created a new /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.prefernces.plist, but the same thing happens each time I add a LEAP network.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
Bluetooth-
Any bluetooth mouse other than Apple's own mouse seems to be rather crappy. I have tried the Radtech BT510, the MacMice "the Mouse BT", and now the Kensington PilotMouse Mini Bluetooth, and either they don't pair or stay paired, or have poor tracking. Major bummer.
But you didn't try the (IMHO) best BT mouse for the Mac. We have a couple of Logitech MX900s at home and at the office. They all work absolutely flawless with Panther, Tiger and with the last update to 10.4.2. If you've gone through all those mice and you aren't satisfied with performance under 10.4.2 I suggest you give the MX900 a try.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 09:31 AM

My Tiger problems:

i'm using a kensington pocketmouse bluetooth optical with 10.4.2 and works fine
(as it did in 10.3.x)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by TomR
Mine works, Just updated to the newest tvtacker too and it works, maybe you need to get the latest?
The poster posted that before the update was released.

Actually, the v1.5.1 is really buggy. After a little use it came up with the "Click here to configure tracker" message, but when I clicked the update button it showed the TV listings anyway with the message on top of them. And just now, the scroll bar disappeared. (I wish there was an alternative to this one widget.)

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Preview:
In all other versions if I opened up a bunch of images in preview (so it shows them in a drawer) I could then move the original files to a different location in the finder. If I do this in Tiger Preview closes the window and all the images have to be re-opened in the new location.
Ugh! Thanks for reminding me of this IDIOTIC "Feature." WTF was Apple thinking?!?! This goes directly against one of the things I really like about the MacOS.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2005, 08:46 PM

PM G5 fan revving and machine running hot since I installed 10.4.2
Me too.

-Owl

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
Anyone else having problems with the menus on the Dock? If I right-click on a dock item, its menu comes up but the Dock freezes and doesn't do anything until I click on the Apple menu or anything else on the top menu. Then the dock unfreezes. I can't right-click the Dock anymore.
FYI, a reboot fixed this issue.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2005, 03:57 AM

The full screen freeze is still here.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 08:44 AM

I'm also one of the people suffering from the Logitech-appswitcher problem. The scroll-down button now activates the appswitcher. I have a MX700 mouse. I just noticed it after reading this thread. So it's not really a problem since I don't really use the particular button much. I don't even use the appswitcher since the app's front-window does not appear when the app is hidden, which really annoys me.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2005, 08:49 AM

I've looked around, and one bug I've noticed on my g5 is that command tab behavior is strange now. When I press command+tab, the app switcher comes up, but the selection automatically moves to the left in a scrolling fashion. if have to press command twice as fast just to move to the next app.

If I press command tab and just hold down command once the menu is up, it will just scroll thru open apps constantly.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 09:11 AM

>>Preview:
In all other versions if I opened up a bunch of images in preview (so it shows them in a drawer) I could then move the original files to a different location in the finder. If I do this in Tiger Preview closes the window and all the images have to be re-opened in the new location

I notice the drawer in Preview will ONLY open on the right side. When i move the window to the right of the display then open the draw on the left, the next window i open will not remember this. Worse, there is NO preference to have the draw open on the side the user prefers :-(

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 18, 2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Targon
>>Preview:
In all other versions if I opened up a bunch of images in preview (so it shows them in a drawer) I could then move the original files to a different location in the finder. If I do this in Tiger Preview closes the window and all the images have to be re-opened in the new location

I notice the drawer in Preview will ONLY open on the right side. When i move the window to the right of the display then open the draw on the left, the next window i open will not remember this. Worse, there is NO preference to have the draw open on the side the user prefers :-(
Yeah Preview has had a hard time of it. And now they've removed the option to have just names with no thumbnails in the drawer as well, so there is no option to save time!

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jul 18, 2005, 07:17 PM

Is Tiger really this buggy? I haven't upgraded from Panther 10.3.9 because of the reports of Tiger bugginess. I especially want to make sure that my M-Audio Sonica Theater still works especially for multi channel sound via OpenAL/Core Audio. Wouldn't mind the new improved Core Video and Graphics and sending more work to the GPU, but not at the expense of a buggy OS.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fonzie
I'm also one of the people suffering from the Logitech-appswitcher problem. The scroll-down button now activates the appswitcher. I have a MX700 mouse. I just noticed it after reading this thread. So it's not really a problem since I don't really use the particular button much. I don't even use the appswitcher since the app's front-window does not appear when the app is hidden, which really annoys me.
For people with this problem: are you using any software, like the Logitech Control Center or USB Overdrive? I'm using LCC and all my mouse buttons work just how I configured them to, same as Panther. I was never able to get Exposé functions to work by selecting "Mouse Button n," I just use LCC to set the buttons to F keys and it works great (the "Quick Switch" button on my MX500 is Dashboard )
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Fusion  (op)
Senior User
Jul 19, 2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
For people with this problem: are you using any software, like the Logitech Control Center or USB Overdrive? I'm using LCC and all my mouse buttons work just how I configured them to, same as Panther. I was never able to get Exposé functions to work by selecting "Mouse Button n," I just use LCC to set the buttons to F keys and it works great (the "Quick Switch" button on my MX500 is Dashboard )
No, we're not using any of those softwares. Just the standard Expose pref pane.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
i'm using a kensington pocketmouse bluetooth optical with 10.4.2 and works fine
(as it did in 10.3.x)
How does your's track? My Kensington jumps erratically all over the place. Very poor tracking. Can you say that yours tracks as well as a wired mouse?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
But you didn't try the (IMHO) best BT mouse for the Mac. We have a couple of Logitech MX900s at home and at the office. They all work absolutely flawless with Panther, Tiger and with the last update to 10.4.2. If you've gone through all those mice and you aren't satisfied with performance under 10.4.2 I suggest you give the MX900 a try.
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have to have the base station thingy plugged into an already-Bluetooth Mac? I suppose you would still have to plug that thing in every once in a while to charge the batteries? I had a MX700 and loved it, but it used RF and not BT.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2005, 04:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have to have the base station thingy plugged into an already-Bluetooth Mac? I suppose you would still have to plug that thing in every once in a while to charge the batteries? I had a MX700 and loved it, but it used RF and not BT.
You do not need to connect the base station to USB, i.e. you don't need to use the base station's BT module if your Mac is already BT enabled. I use mine that way actually since my PowerBooks both have BT built in internally already. You can just plug in the base station to AC power and drop the mouse in there once a week or so to charge. Works perfectly fine. No drivers needed, no ports wasted, just true plug and play.

Ray@SAT
Jul 19, 2005, 10:15 AM

Here's my bug list :
Highlighted buttons dont activate when return is pressed in finder windows. I must manualy click the button (with the mouse, of course)
Cannot navigate with arrows anymore in column view in save or save as finder windows.
Upfront apps disapear but are still open and functionnal.

Otherwise all is quite OK.
Has anyone else notices these ?

Ray
Pb 17" 1,67ghz

wintermute1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2005, 10:56 AM

As stated in the title, for some reason my Safari just stopped updating RSS feeds. I haven't changed any settings, and I only noticed because I have become very dependent on the feature. I have it set to update every half an hour, and it has not been doing so. If I go in and click on the link manually, however, it works fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 11:28 PM

Mail.app seems to be worse than ever when dealing with IMAP mailboxes.

1. Sometimes it just hangs checking mail on my IMAP server (requiring Force Quit to shut down). I cannot figure out how to reproduce this accurately but it's seemingly intermittent.

2. Unread mail totals for IMAP folders show twice as many as it should.

3. Apple-K doesn't delete items from mailbox as it should. Requires quitting Mail.app to actually delete the items.

4. When sending email, if the outgoing mailbox is locked (perhaps related to [1] above), the send will silently fail.

5. I've noticed random corruption of the INBOX but this has been very rare and I have no idea what's causing it.

With Panther on the same IMAP server, it worked near flawlessly.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2005, 01:27 AM

Not sure if this is a new issue or an isolated glitch, but since updating to 10.4.2, the "Color LCD" profile for my Powerbook display got corrupted/ignored. I hadn't had this problem with .0 or .1. Rebooting with the Tiger install disk and fixing permissions and it's working again, although Disk Utility didn't mention anything about fixing the profile.

superfula
Senior User
Jul 20, 2005, 01:28 AM

1) dashboard doesn't work anymore

2) Mail is terrible
a) some mail doesn't get filed to the correct inbox when it arrives, some does. It's hit and miss. I have to select all my mail and "Apply Rules" to get them to the correct spot.
b) Only on mail that I have filed in other inboxes when it arrives...I almost always get two of the same mail
c) at random times Mail suddenly decides all of the mail I've received in the past 4 days is new and unread...just out of the blue. It affects all inboxes alike

3) Finder forgets it's spot when moving in and out of folders. For example, if I scroll halfway down my documents folder and open a subfolder called Work. When I hit the back arrow key, Finder should and did remember my current window place, around the Work subfolder area, before the update. But now, finder takes me all the way up to the top of the directory window. It irritates me to no end.

4) I don't want to have my screen dim before it turns off, yet no matter the setting it still does

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 20, 2005, 08:21 AM

The Safari window position preference shifting seems to me to have gotten worse with 10.4.2 .

Forum Links
Forum Rules