Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Preparing my iBook for sale

Preparing my iBook for sale
jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 08:01 PM

So I'm gonna be selling my ibook soon and had a few questions on how to prepare it for another user.

First, I'd like to get my name completely off of the machine. I noticed it shows the owners name in several places. I'm guess you can do this with the restore discs but I'd like to keep MS Office on the machine, so I don't really want to wipe everything (including all programs) out. I'd like to keep MS Office on the machine, but I would like to remove my name from it (I think it shows it in the splash screen when you open it).

I don't really know what I'm missing. Is there anything else that you would do before I sell this to someone else? Thanks in advance.

-James

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 27, 2005, 08:55 PM

Reformat the hard drive using the 'zero all sectors' option. Without using security grade software this is your best option to wipe the hard drive. Without specialized software the average buyer isn't going to be able to rebuild any data previously stored on the disk.

Reinstall OS X and setup a login with a password the buyer will know. Once the buyer gets the iBook they can deal with adding/changing login ids and passwords.

As far as Office goes, you should have the install disc. You can reinstall Office once you've reinstalled the OS. If you don't have the Office install disc, you have fewer options. If you don't want your name on the Office install, you're going to have to uninstall, then reinstall Office.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User
Reformat the hard drive using the 'zero all sectors' option. Without using security grade software this is your best option to wipe the hard drive. Without specialized software the average buyer isn't going to be able to rebuild any data previously stored on the disk.

Reinstall OS X and setup a login with a password the buyer will know. Once the buyer gets the iBook they can deal with adding/changing login ids and passwords.

As far as Office goes, you should have the install disc. You can reinstall Office once you've reinstalled the OS. If you don't have the Office install disc, you have fewer options. If you don't want your name on the Office install, you're going to have to uninstall, then reinstall Office.
Thanks for the advice.

I do indeed have the Office install disc, but I was trying to avoid uninstalling it because the Office disc allows only 3 installs. I've never tried re-using an activation code, will it work? I believe I only have one of the three installs left, so I'm not sure I want to waste it on a machine that I'm not keeping. Is there any way around this? I'm not familiar with the installation codes and what not. How does it know if you've used the code or not?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2005, 09:37 PM

I don't think the drag and drop install asks for a code.

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
I don't think the drag and drop install asks for a code.
You can do a drag & drop install of Office from the installation disc? I was not aware of that. Is this true?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by jaimzedup
I do indeed have the Office install disc, but I was trying to avoid uninstalling it because the Office disc allows only 3 installs. I've never tried re-using an activation code, will it work? I believe I only have one of the three installs left, so I'm not sure I want to waste it on a machine that I'm not keeping. Is there any way around this? I'm not familiar with the installation codes and what not. How does it know if you've used the code or not?
Unless you activate Office 2004, the program has absolutely no idea how many times you've installed it.

Are you using Student & Teacher edition? If so, they mean 3 liscenses, not installs. IE, you can use it on up to three computers concurrently, not install it only 3 times.
Linkinus is king.

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Unless you activate Office 2004, the program has absolutely no idea how many times you've installed it.

Are you using Student & Teacher edition? If so, they mean 3 liscenses, not installs. IE, you can use it on up to three computers concurrently, not install it only 3 times.
Ah, that makes much more sense now. Thanks for your help.

MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 02:19 PM

I wish I could find the look but I can't... but www.tuaw.com had a tutorial on a script that is in the OSX that when run initiates the initial "first boot" Mac sequence. So you could run the script and upon boot the person you sell to will have to setup their accounts, networking, etc etc.

If you search hard enough I'm sure you can find it, but no luck yet for me, if I find it I will post it!

Good luck!

(I'm bidding on a G3 iBook right now and I'm looking for the script as well just in case when i get it I'm just getting a used iBook with garbage stuff on it)

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by MDWeezer
I wish I could find the look but I can't... but www.tuaw.com had a tutorial on a script that is in the OSX that when run initiates the initial "first boot" Mac sequence. So you could run the script and upon boot the person you sell to will have to setup their accounts, networking, etc etc.

If you search hard enough I'm sure you can find it, but no luck yet for me, if I find it I will post it!

Good luck!

(I'm bidding on a G3 iBook right now and I'm looking for the script as well just in case when i get it I'm just getting a used iBook with garbage stuff on it)
Here you go:

http://www.theconsultant.net/archive...ox-experience/

MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2005, 05:38 PM

Just my 2¢, but I replace the HD. I know it's overkill and difficult to do on an iBook, but it's nice KNOWING nothing could ever be recovered from the HD.

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2005, 12:57 PM

Been having problems posting in the Marketplace forum:

Hey everyone, FYI I currently have my ibook up on ebay for sale but I am willing to pull the auction if I recieve a decent offer:

Included:
iBook G4 1.33GHz/14in./768MB/80GB
iSkin keyboard protector
Belkin laptop bag
Targus ibook sleeve

This system has not been used often and is in Like New condition

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-14-iBook-G...QQcmdZViewItem

PM me if you're interested in making an offer, or take your chances on bidding!

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 12:43 PM

Been having problems posting in the Marketplace forum:

Hey everyone, FYI I currently have my ibook up on ebay for sale but I am willing to pull the auction if I recieve a decent offer:

Included:
iBook G4 1.33GHz/14in./768MB/80GB
iSkin keyboard protector
Belkin laptop bag
Targus ibook sleeve

This system has not been used often and is in Like New condition

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-14-iBook-G...QQcmdZViewItem

PM me if you're interested in making an offer, or take your chances on bidding!
For some reason, the system won't post a new topic in Marketplace for me. I'm bumping this since the auction ends tomorrow night.

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 10:38 PM

This is a bit off topic but, why won't the system let me post a new thread in the Marketplace Forum?

esXXI
Senior User
Nov 7, 2005, 05:45 AM

This is a bit off topic but, why won't the system let me post a new thread in the Marketplace Forum?
The forums are currently farked, including the Disappearing Posts®, Inability to Start Threads® and other Whackiness™

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by esXXI
The forums are currently farked, including the Disappearing Posts®, Inability to Start Threads® and other Whackiness™
How unfortunate. I'd really like to put my iBook on sale there. It hasn't been getting many responses in this forum.
I'm not really a macnn forum regular, how long do these forum posting problems usually tend to last?

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2005, 05:49 PM

How unfortunate. I'd really like to put my iBook on sale there. It hasn't been getting many responses in this forum.
I'm not really a macnn forum regular, how long do these forum posting problems usually tend to last?
It finally let me post in Marketplace. Check out my topic if you're interested.

Forum Links
Forum Rules