Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Moving Users to new Drive?

Moving Users to new Drive?
mjoecups
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2001, 04:33 PM

Hello,

I am running OSX 10.04 on a Powercomputing Powerwave upgraded to g3/500 with Radeon.

I garbage picked this computer and moved all of the ram/cpu/drives etc. from my 8500 so that I could use the PCI Radeon with OSX.

It works great.

However, I have a Apple OEM Adaptec 2940u2b with two 9 gig drives attached, which is seen fine under OSX, but cannot boot for some strange (probably Open Firmware related) reason.

So, my OSX install resides on a 4 gig IBM drive on the built in fast SCSI bus.

I would like to move my USERS directory to one of the Larger and much faster U2W drives.

I have drag copied the USERS directory over, but I don't know how to tell OSX to use the copy as the new default users directory.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Marty

udecker
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by mjoecups:
<STRONG>Hello,

I have drag copied the USERS directory over, but I don't know how to tell OSX to use the copy as the new default users directory.

</STRONG>
Here's a solution that works for me (this may cause problems in 10.1 at least through 5F24, which has some differences with mounting drives).

go into yout boot-drives / directory as root (in the terminal)
type "ln -s /Volumes/&lt;usersdiskname/Users /Users"
and this will create a softlink to your new drive where the Users directory should be.

-uD

mjoecups  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2001, 05:25 AM

That doesn't seem to do anything for me.

When I check my home directory it still shows the free space of my boot disk. Also, would that link thing persist across reboots? and how would I undo it?

I would much rather use some sort of graphical tool to accomplish this. Is it possible with Netinfo? I bet it is.

Thanks again for any ideas, and I will use the terminal if need be, but the ln -s/volumes/myfastdrive/users /users didn't seem to work.

Also, is there a command to show me any links I have set?

Thanks again,
Marty

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2001, 10:01 AM

You should be able to do it via the NetInfo app. NetInfo is either
in the Applications folder or a sub-folder with Applications. (I'm
not at my Mac now).

In NetInfo there should be a Users option. Within that each user
has a record. Each record has the home directory (and other things
like shell). You should be able to just edit the home field of the
record.

I'm kind of flying blind here without my Mac, but that's the jist of it.

dave chen

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2001, 10:29 AM

Not on my Mac either, but I do recall that NetInfo is located in the Utilities folder within Applications.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

mjoecups  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2001, 03:01 PM

The Netinfo method described seems needlessly cumbersome since ALL of my users are moving to the same place... Also, it doesn't work right.

It seems silly to have to edit each use record and make them all the same.

It seems to work for me (the admin) except mail now asks for my keychain passphrase every time. However with the other users (non-admin) they get a blank desktop and mystery folders in the dock....

So, any other thoughts???

Thanks,
Marty

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2001, 04:08 AM

You have to recreate your keychain. Delete "~/Library/Keychains/&lt;username&gt;".

I'm guessing the problems your other users are having arise from you copying all the home directories in the GUI. When you copied the home directories as the admin user, all of the privileges of the copied directories and files were changed. Follow the command line instructions found here for a way to avoid this problem.

Unfortunately, no set of command line instructions have been found to perform this function while preserving type and creator codes. So, if files do not have three letter extensions, OS X will not recognize them after using the above CLI instructions. You can still re-associate the files with each's respective app, but it can be a pain if you have hundreds of files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules