Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Possible OS tweak?

Possible OS tweak?
Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 8, 2010, 08:59 PM

Is it possible to tweak Mac OS Tiger to set its record of a particular update back a few steps? It will not allow installing an older update, so where is the record of what version the last update was?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2010, 09:00 PM

I don't know about that.

I'd use Pacificst to install parts of an update.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2010, 09:08 PM

OS X uses installer receipts to determine what is and isn't installed. What specifically are you having trouble with?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 10:47 PM

If you are trying to go back to an earlier update, it does not work that way. Apple does not have a solution to roll back updates, and applying old updates on top of new ones is a recipe for disaster. If you are only looking to make sure that you have everything correctly from a prior update, while keeping at your present level, then you just apply the "Combo" update for your current update. It will replace all of the files in all of the updates since the 10.x.0 version that you are on top of.

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2010, 01:37 AM

How do you install parts of an update? What part would I need from the pkg installer and what part would I remove?

The /Library/Receipts has no entries for Safari now. Appzapper removed them. The operating system will not let me install Safari 4.0.5. It says I already have a newer version installed, which is no longer true.

I am running Tiger. That is 10.4.11, which is the last combo update for Tiger. That brought Safari up to version 3.0.4, but I cannot go further. At least I have a version of Safari that works now, which is more than I did with 4.1.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2010, 01:58 AM

So if you download Safari 4.1, it won't let you install it?

What does software update offer you? Anything?

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 09:08 PM

So, if I have this right: you used AppZapper to remove Safari, and now can't get it back. I have to say it: that was a dumb thing to do.

Unfortunately since you are on 10.4 the solution is going to be re-installing your entire OS, then re-updating to 10.4.11. The installer should be able move your current system aside, and then install in place, keeping most (if not all) of your current applications and setting in place. You are going to need the OS disks that your computer came with.

There really is not going to be another route for this that is not more painful. You made a mistake, will get to pay for it with a little annoyance, and learn a new lesson.

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Jun 10, 2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
So if you download Safari 4.1, it won't let you install it?

What does software update offer you? Anything?
It let me install it, and every time I tried to run Safari it would crash. I tried everything I could think of to eliminate interference from things like addons and system tweaks, but nothing helped.
I had to reinstall Safari from the Mac OS install disk and then update it with the last combo update for Tiger to get a working version again.

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Jun 10, 2010, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by larkost View Post
So, if I have this right: you used AppZapper to remove Safari, and now can't get it back. I have to say it: that was a dumb thing to do.

Unfortunately since you are on 10.4 the solution is going to be re-installing your entire OS, then re-updating to 10.4.11. The installer should be able move your current system aside, and then install in place, keeping most (if not all) of your current applications and setting in place. You are going to need the OS disks that your computer came with.
I used Pacifist to install just Safari 2.0.3 from the installation disk and updated it to 3.0.4 with the combo update. I cannot get it updated as far as 4.0.5 again because the operating system still acts as if I installed 4.1. Is there some file I can edit to turn back the record of the highest version ever installed to 4.0.5?

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
I used Pacifist to install just Safari 2.0.3 from the installation disk and updated it to 3.0.4 with the combo update. I cannot get it updated as far as 4.0.5 again because the operating system still acts as if I installed 4.1. Is there some file I can edit to turn back the record of the highest version ever installed to 4.0.5?
Why did you bother to quote my post if you are just going to ignore everything in it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules