Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Delete photos in iPod?

Delete photos in iPod?
Curiosity
Senior User
Nov 11, 2011, 03:13 PM

How does one delete photos from a new iPod? The instructions in Safari in that iPod are no help. They tell you to use the Delete button, but there is no Delete button.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2011, 04:35 PM

There is as soon as you tap the little menu button at top right and tap on a photo to select it.

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Nov 11, 2011, 07:18 PM

This is a new iPod (v. 4.3.5). There is no menu button at the top right. There is one at bottom left, but it does not bring up Delete as one of the choices.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2011, 07:43 PM

Update it to the new firmware (5.0.1).

Under ios 4 and earlier, you can delete each photo as you're looking at it by tapping the trash can at lower right.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
This is a new iPod (v. 4.3.5). There is no menu button at the top right.
It looks like a small curled arrow.

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Nov 12, 2011, 01:58 AM

There is no trash can in the Photo Library pictures. That is only in the Camera Roll pictures.
With the Photo Library, there is an icon that looks like a box with an arrow coming out of it. That is the menu icon, but there is no Delete choice available from there (nor from the Camera Roll either).
It seems that the only way to remove pictures would be to sync with an empty directory if I wanted to remove all of them. That in turn implies that there is no way to get more than one directory of photos into the iPod, which means that I need to put copies of all the pictures that I want in the iPod into a special directory just for that purpose.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2011, 04:12 AM

Do you have a Mac?

Sync iPhoto albums and events, places and faces, as many different ones as you like.

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Nov 12, 2011, 01:46 PM

I do have a Mac. I prefer not to use iPhoto to store my pictures, because I dislike the viewing interface. I think Xee has a much better picture viewing interface. Since the instructions tell me that I can sync with a folder on my hard drive, I chose to do it that way. Since I have a 1-terabyte hard drive, there is lots of spare room on it, and I have set up a separate directory just for iPod pictures. That works, and it would seem that it is the only way I am going to get whatever pictures I want on the iPod into it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules