Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A Good Flat Panel that is small and cheap

A Good Flat Panel that is small and cheap
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 07:31 PM

Hello--

I'm looking at buying a desktop G4 or G5 (another topic).

either way, i have a small desk space at my gf's apartment and she wont' let me get a new desk for more room.

anyway, I have about a 13 inch by 13 inch space to work with....

It's on of those desk that has a canopy sitting on it... so I can't push a monitor back too far, because it hits this canopy.

I was looking a the apple monitors and I think the 17inch might make it...

but i'm looking for a 15 inch flat monitor that was cheaper than the apple and takes up the least amount of space, but still being a decent and bright monitor.

Saw some nice ones at tekserve from some company i never heard of and sony's are usually small.

any tips. 15 inch is fine for now. 17 would be better.

But I want to put the moniotr on the desk and the keybaord in front of it.

So I have to have room for the keyboard as well.

Thanks for any tips!

yg17
Sep 30, 2003, 09:18 PM

Ive got a Samsung 15" LCD and love it, great quality and it's small. I mean, it's 15", but doesnt have a lot of unessesary space

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by yg17:
Ive got a Samsung 15" LCD and love it, great quality and it's small. I mean, it's 15", but doesnt have a lot of unessesary space
cool. do you have a model number or a link or picture?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 05:02 AM

OS X on a 15" LCD is a PITA. I've had it running for a while and bought a 17" LCD because it was just too small. OS X needs a higher res than 1024x768 to actually start being fun so you may wanna rethink that 15" LCD idea.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
OS X on a 15" LCD is a PITA. I've had it running for a while and bought a 17" LCD because it was just too small. OS X needs a higher res than 1024x768 to actually start being fun so you may wanna rethink that 15" LCD idea.
I have an 12 inch screen now and it's fine to me.

And not much room.

so a small 15 or 17 inch is fine...

any suggestons?

I think the apple display might fit, but it's thick and deep and the way it stands up take up a lot of room...

so what company gives you a good screen, but a small footprint.

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 01:30 PM

Personally I like the Dell 18" LCD's. They go on sale every now and again for about 465$. If you catch it right, it's a great display.

-Jason

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 09:39 PM

Bought my wife a Samsung Syncmaster 152T and while she likes it, I'd never use it. I dont know if the pixels are too big or it just does a lousy job of handling font smoothing, but it doesnt look anywhere near as good as my old 15" Apple LCD or this 17". We have some Viewsonics at work and they look very good with a Wintel machine but have never seen them on a Mac. Before you buy, see it working on a Mac. Prices are coming down. I'd really try for a 17"er though.
Dual 1.25 FW800, 12" PB RevA

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Bought my wife a Samsung Syncmaster 152T and while she likes it, I'd never use it. I dont know if the pixels are too big or it just does a lousy job of handling font smoothing, but it doesnt look anywhere near as good as my old 15" Apple LCD or this 17". We have some Viewsonics at work and they look very good with a Wintel machine but have never seen them on a Mac. Before you buy, see it working on a Mac. Prices are coming down. I'd really try for a 17"er though.
It might be tough to see it on a mac, that's the problem.

At the apple store you ain't going to find them. I went to tekserve, they had a few NEC that looked fine.

I saw an HP monitor today, that was very nice.

I"m looking for one that has a small footprint, adjust would be nice (the hp is) and one that looks good. By that I mean one that has little plastic around the edges...

the apple 17inch has what looks like a full inch of plastic around the screen and to me it's too much. It's ugly and distracting.

apple really needs to update the monitors. Make them thinner, and nicer looking.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
I have an 12 inch screen now and it's fine to me.

And not much room.

so a small 15 or 17 inch is fine...

any suggestons?

I think the apple display might fit, but it's thick and deep and the way it stands up take up a lot of room...

so what company gives you a good screen, but a small footprint.
Yes, but your 12" is probably 1024x768 which is the same as a 15".

What you are looking for is resolution, not screen size. Trust me, get a Samsung 17" for around $450.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Yes, but your 12" is probably 1024x768 which is the same as a 15".

What you are looking for is resolution, not screen size. Trust me, get a Samsung 17" for around $450.
So you're saying a 15 inch screen and a 12inch screen have the same amount of room due to resolution....

that doesn't make sense to me.

REsolutoin makes it shaper and gives you more room, but actually screen space must matter...

Look I'm happy with the 15inch imac screen, so I don't think resolution is my problem. But I will consider it.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 04:59 AM

actually mallrat, resolution is what matters.. the higher the numbers, the more pixels on the display.

A 12" ibook can display just as much as your 15" imac screen. 1024 by 768 pixels of stuff.

The pixels on your imac screen are bigger, and thus they fill a bigger space. the fewer pixels per inch, the bigger things appear.

A 10" LCD can have about 3 times more screen space nowadays then your average 50" tv. This doesn't mean screen SIZE, but screen area
Aloha

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 06:37 PM

Samsung 172W widescreen (16:9) 17" LCD. I've got two and they're pretty great.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

drloomis
Oct 2, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by JustinD:
How much is that one. Another part of my post should be I'm looking for one 400 and under....
--------------------
I shot him six times!

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by JustinD:
Only problem with it is the smaller vertical resolution. Oh well, still a great monitor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules