Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 just arrived. It's great. But it has a big problem. Help!!!

G5 just arrived. It's great. But it has a big problem. Help!!!
dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 08:24 AM

Well I got my G5 finally. It is fantastic. One small problem. The stereo jack (audio out) doesn't work in the back. The one in the front works fine. IT doesn't even seem to be making a connection. It doesn't even mute the internal speaker when I plug something in back there. Any ideas?
I have browsed apple's forums and I have seen some people having interference, but not completely not working. I'll call Apple Care this afternoon. I'd hate to send this thing off less than 2 days after I get it
Any ideas?
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 08:30 AM

Dang...are you using a typical 1/8" audio-jack and not the Apple Pro Speakers?

If it's just not making a connection, it's probably a dud...call up Apple and tell them, you'll probably hafta send it in for repair...best of luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 08:32 AM

Try another set of speakers first.

King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 08:45 AM

Did you buy applecare, or do you just have the warranty? If you bought applecare they should give you on sight service. Also, make sure that the problem is the computer, not broken or incompatible speakers. Good luck!
-King Rat

dwishbone  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 12:02 PM

well im using a normal set of altec lansing speakers. they work on anything else, including the audio jack on the front of the G5.
i dont have any apple pro speakers and im not going to spend money to buy some just to find out. if apple wants to send me some...fine.
if it is a dud apple better have a G5 on my doorstep before I send it back. I am not about to wait another 3 months.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 01:52 PM

Sucks to say it, but it's a warranty issue. Send it off now before you get too attached. Years from now when you sell it, the jack will be a sticking point for buyers.

SuperM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 08:48 PM

Just got my G5 as well, and the rear audio jack works fine, just as in my previous G3 setup. Unfortunately I agree with what has already been said. Send the thing back for repair. After spending that amount of money, you want EVERYTHING working as it should be.
- SuperM

Apple //e -> Apple IIGS -> Performa 6200 -> B&W G3 350 (400) -> G5 2.0 DP

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by dwishbone:
Well I got my G5 finally. It is fantastic. One small problem. The stereo jack (audio out) doesn't work in the back. The one in the front works fine. IT doesn't even seem to be making a connection. It doesn't even mute the internal speaker when I plug something in back there. Any ideas?
I have browsed apple's forums and I have seen some people having interference, but not completely not working. I'll call Apple Care this afternoon. I'd hate to send this thing off less than 2 days after I get it
Any ideas?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you sure you didn't plug the speakers into the mic/line INPUT on the back?

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2003, 10:13 AM

Are headphones plugged into the front while you're trying to use the ones on back? The front jack may disable the back jack....

-Jason

bojangles
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 12:36 PM

I know this doesn�t help you, but just an FYI for everyone�the Apple Pro Speakers are incompatible with the G5. In other words, definitely don�t bother buying them.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 01:03 PM

My front headphone jack does NOT disable the back jack. I don't know why, maybe it was designed this way.

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 10:58 AM

that really sucks. I agree though, it's probably a warranty issue- I hope they turn around for you fast! good luck.
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2003, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by alligator:
My front headphone jack does NOT disable the back jack. I don't know why, maybe it was designed this way.
I discovered this last night as well. After a moment I realized this makes sense if you're using your G5 to produce music and you need both the headphones and the outputs to be active at the same time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules