Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro + 30"

Macbook Pro + 30"
auero
Oct 8, 2006, 11:25 PM

I have a dilema...

I just sold my Powermac G5 and some camera equipment and stuff, anyway.. I have cash.

I bought myself a black macbook, I'm pleased with it. I do notice the loss in quality (I have a powerbook next to it) but anyway, I need a computer for my major, Interactive Media Design. (Basically graphic design with a little bit of dvd authoring, some fcp but nothing extreme.)

So I was planning on buying a 24" iMac with a 500GB HD, upgraded video, 2gb ram, etc... but it got me thinking that maybe I should return my Macbook or sell it on ebay either or and buy a 30" and a macbook pro. Would this suit my needs, etc? I'd be able to take my work anywhere and I'd have a great big display but.. am I sacraficing a lot of speed and anything else? I'm unsure on what to do now. I'm some what sorry I purchased this macbook now because I'll lose on it either way...

Also, mac pro is not an option. I don't have the moeny for a big screen and a tower at this point and time. I bought the macbook but it won't serve my much use this is why this is coming into consideration. I don't think I'd be very productive running photoshop on here, etc..
( Last edited by auero; Oct 9, 2006 at 12:13 AM. )

G5man
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2006, 12:03 AM

30" displays will not work on MacBooks but they will work on MacBookPro's. They don't work on iMac's either.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

auero  (op)
Oct 9, 2006, 12:06 AM

Yes I know that. That's why I'm debating...

24" iMac & Black MacBook

or

30" & Macbook PRO (maybe dell 30")

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2006, 12:18 AM

24" iMac and Black MacBook all the way!
Linkinus is king.

auero  (op)
Oct 9, 2006, 12:24 AM

The problem I'm having is that I'm beginning to think that the macbook is some what useless to me. It's more for pleasure (music, web, chat, movies etc.) and not something that let's me get my work done. I'll be traveling a good amount (hometown is in jersey, I'm attending school in Florida) and this way maybe I can take everything with me in a 15 or 17" powerb--(ugh! I hate these new names), macbook pro. One thing I've noticed on my powerbook though is that I never got my work done (always chatting and going on the web for pointless reasons, basically getting thrown off track) but my powerbook wasn't 'speedy' enough. I need a large screen and a quick machine.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2006, 12:30 AM

i have a macbook pro & a apple 30" and i love the fact during a shoot-i can quickly unload the photos to my macbook pro while on the field and when i get home i can use the 30" display to get work done.

best of both worlds portability & screen real estate. You cant get wrong with it.
just max out your notebook to its full capacity for greater performance

auero  (op)
Oct 9, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Javizun
i have a macbook pro & a apple 30" and i love the fact during a shoot-i can quickly unload the photos to my macbook pro while on the field and when i get home i can use the 30" display to get work done.

best of both worlds portability & screen real estate. You cant get wrong with it.
just max out your notebook to its full capacity for greater performance
Do you ever feel as it's not fast enough for you though? I'd deff. upgrade the macbook pro to everything (7200RPM hard drive)

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 07:11 PM

24in iMac(2GB RAM/500GB HD) + Black MacBook (1GB/80GB) = $3970ish
Power Book 2.16GHz 15" (1GB/100GB) + 30" Screen = $4600ish
Black MacBook )1GB/80GB) + 23" Screen = $2600ish

I have a similar problem. I have a Dual G5 2.0GHz with a 18in Dell LCD Monitor; and an 800MHz iBook. I just moved into a small apt, and need to get the space back. I've been considering an iMac and a laptop, or a new laptop and a big screen. Guess it comes down to what you can afford, vs the performance you need. I mostly use Office, Mail, Safari, Firefox, iPhoto, and Adobe Acrobat and other products.

The other consideration is data security. I do feel better having the majority of my files stable on my desk. Yes, I back-up, but if I lose my laptop and it's my primary computer, I turn over lots of personal data to whomever stole it.

I think I'll do the MacBook and my present 18" monitor. If it's too slow, I'll probably grab an iMac. I like the smaller form factor of the Macbook when compared to the Powerbook as well.

Just some other considerations for ya.

-Jason

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2006, 08:35 PM

no i dont feel like its slow at all i have a 7200rpm harddrive maxed out ram
and i use both aperture & lightroom no slow downs at all.
i even use photoshop yeah its slow at times but you know the reason why :rosetta)

overall the macbook pro is a great computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules