Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook + Applestore Hell

MacBook + Applestore Hell
Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 10:33 AM

This is getting ridiculous. I hate my closest Applestore... the service center hasn't been much better. I'll be taking my MacBook in for the 7th time here. 3rd in the last two weeks because they are absolutely worthless.

Time number 1 - Unresponsive trackpad (exchanged within 2nd day for new unit)

2 - LOUUUUD squeaky hinge (was sent to service and NEVER repaired.... they did manage to damage the computer though)

3 - Fix repair center damage on top case and hinge (only hinge was fixed by repair center)

4 - DAMAGE ON THE TOP CASE (fixed)

5. Screen flickering, topcase replaced because Genius and I agreed my trackpad button once again was flaky, although I stopped caring because I didn't even use it anymore. I Just wanted the screen to stop flickering.

6. The right side of my keyboard was only accepting about half the pressed keys (Got a new keyboard.... only two days after getting a new one. The mac Genius also told me to stop "looking for problems"...)

7. OH THERE GOES THE SCREEN FLICKERING. I Made a video this time.... i didn't re-encode it smaller so it's like 22mbs.
http://www.imben.net/macnn/flicker.mov -- and if you read this in the next 7 minutes after posting. The video is still uploading.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 10:46 AM

I hate to say it, but try telling Apple that these problems fall within warranty (manufacturing defects) and that there is no limit to how many times your machine can be repaired. Or, demand they either issue a return (waive the restocking fee) or fix the problems. Then, get your MacBook or possibly a PC laptop online.

I took my MacBook into my local Apple Store this weekend because my CPU temps got as high 85 degrees C, and the genius told me that the temperature monitoring applications I was using were very inaccurate. He said not to worry and that if things got too hot the machine would turn off. So, I am waiting for the day I'm using my MacBook on a mildly warm day and when it shuts off I'm taking it in. He said he could send it to the repair center but it could take weeks and most likely won't do anything. He also said applying too much thermal paste doesn't do any harm to the processor, so I guess I'm sticking with my hot MacBook for now.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 20, 2006, 10:49 AM

the flickering is starting to get to me as well...I think it's time for a visit. Hopefully I don't have the same experience you did...

Hi I'm Ben  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
I hate to say it, but try telling Apple that these problems fall within warranty (manufacturing defects) and that there is no limit to how many times your machine can be repaired. Or, demand they either issue a return (waive the restocking fee) or fix the problems. Then, get your MacBook or possibly a PC laptop online.
I think a replacement would be fair. I don't want a PC laptop. I've had lots of Apple laptops with zero problems. (Okay I lied my Logic board on the G4 died... who would have thought?!).... a lot of my problems with this laptop stem from the Apple store or Repair center either A. Not listening or B. Not fixing the issue.

When I originally brought it in for screen flickering it didn't exhibit the problem. They said they'd have to send it out if it did. They never sent it out but kept it 5 days. Gave it back to me.. said it was fixed. All seemed well, for about 3 days.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 05:01 PM

Maybe some sort of intereference in your house is causing the flickering? This could explain why they haven't fixed the issue... they may not be seeing it.

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 05:18 PM

Interference is one possible cause for the flickering. Just move it to another part of your house, if it still does it, then it is likely that the lcd inverter is bad. I had a similar experience with my BlackBook. The hinge had issues and I sent it in for repair, only for it to come back with additional problems. By the time I had reached problem #3, my local Apple Store swapped it for a brand new one. If at all possible, take it to a different Apple Store. I always go to this particular Apple Store that is farther from the closest one from my house but they have much better service.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 20, 2006, 08:52 PM

mine does it regardless of location or what it's powered from

Hi I'm Ben  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
Maybe some sort of intereference in your house is causing the flickering? This could explain why they haven't fixed the issue... they may not be seeing it.
This happens anywhere i use the laptop. I was at a friend's house this time. Sometimes I'm sitting in the middle of a lecture hall, or at a panera... doesn't really matter. It's all the same.

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 10:49 PM

Just curious. Before you leave the Apple Store do you turn on the macbook and check it over a few times before leaving? I would be turning it on AT the 'Genious' Bar and then turning it off and then turning it on again and then using it like normal and MAKE THEM watch you using it like normal. Going back and forth to the store seems like a big waste of time and the problems you talk about seem to be ones that were apparent right after taking it home from the Apple Store. I'm not telling you how to manage your time or anything like that, I'm just wondering if folks are checking their 'repaired' Mac before leaving the store. If anything the Genius' should be doing that and going over everything with you to make sure you are getting a "better than when it came in to the store" condition machine. Anything less, they should be paying you to do the troublshooting.
retired pismo 400 G4, macbook 2.0GHz, mac pro 2.66GHz

nickw311
Senior User
Nov 20, 2006, 11:09 PM

Wow, by your description I could have sworn you were talking about the Columbus, OH store. I have had terrible service there and I have always had to wait for hours to get their terrible service. Luckily I moved to Toledo and now I am near two Detroit stores. I went to one of them last week and had great service.
27" iMac C2D

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
Luckily I moved to Toledo and now I am near two Detroit stores. I went to one of them last week and had great service.
Wow. Toledo is CLOSE to the two Detroit stores? I guess 90 minutes is close for some people!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

apple4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2006, 02:19 AM

That really sucks. I don't know why, but the Apple depot and the stores don't seem to be the best at fixing intermittent problems, or even listening to the description of the problem and fixing it. That video you posted tells me that it is the LCD that needs replaced. When the inverter goes, at least on the MacBook, it just goes. Hopefully you'll get your problems fixed, or at least get a new one.
Pennsylvania Patriot
Mac Lover

Hi I'm Ben  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2006, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by apple4ever View Post
That really sucks. I don't know why, but the Apple depot and the stores don't seem to be the best at fixing intermittent problems, or even listening to the description of the problem and fixing it. That video you posted tells me that it is the LCD that needs replaced. When the inverter goes, at least on the MacBook, it just goes. Hopefully you'll get your problems fixed, or at least get a new one.
I wrote an email to Apple. I talked to a nice guy on the phone today. If it's not fixed this time they'll be replacing the unit. So that's comforting.

When I brought to a DIFFERENT apple store i showed them the video... he checked my firmware and he's like "oh that's the problem you just have to update the firmware!" I told him that wasn't the problem and I wasn't okay accepting that... so we sat there for about 30 more minutes until the flickering started again after the update. Then he started filling out for the repair. Sort of frustrating that if I hadn't refused to simply accept it as a firmware update that I would have had to go back for an 8th time.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2006, 09:28 AM

Just wondering...

If its on record that you have been having problems and they won't take it in for repair, then your warranty expires, then it dies permanently, will they still fix it based on the record?

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2006, 10:58 AM

Having similar problems with an iMac, but I took it to the flagship store at fifth avenue in NYC. I bought it, dead iSight out of the box (not dead enough to be DOA). Took it in, replaced iSight, chipped the case in multiple places. I told them that was unacceptable, they agreed to replace the case and the metal stand. I originally took it in on 04 Nov. Eventually got it to be replaced, so now I'm waiting for the new one. Apple was nice enough to take my money on 01 Nov, and hasn't given me a working computer yet, and I've had the pleasure of 4 treks to the Apple Store, and a phone call every day. Not a great experience so far. I've had many many Macs, since the IIe, and this is the worst experience I've ever had with apple care. I'm really glad I paid extra for the extended applecare right off the bat, to get shoddy treatment.

-Jason

Hi I'm Ben  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by sailin74 View Post
I'm really glad I paid extra for the extended applecare right off the bat, to get shoddy treatment.

-Jason
When I talked to the Apple guy on the phone he asked if I paid for Apple care... i said "Why would I do that, the thought of bringing it in one more time for repair sucks"

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 23, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Wow. Toledo is CLOSE to the two Detroit stores? I guess 90 minutes is close for some people!
Until recently 90 minutes was less than the time it would take me to get to the nearest Apple Store-I live in San Antonio, and the nearest Apple Store was in Austin until last Spring. Now it's about half an hour's drive depending on traffic.

But GEEZZZZZZ! Take that puppy to a store you don't feel creeped out by and show 'em what's going on. They'll be able to pull your service history and see that you have not been provided with the best of service. Hopefully they'll replace your MacBook (again) with a fully functional unit.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

staticnz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 12:51 AM

I've only had my MacBook 2Ghz white for about 3 months, and the logic board has already died twice (first time wouldn't start up, now the optical drive isn't recognised (on replacement logic board)) and i'm currently waiting for my second logic board to be sent from AUS to me here in NZ. If this happens again, i'm seriously gonna demand a new machine. This is not acceptable.

Hi I'm Ben  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 10:30 AM

Apple replaced my MacBook with a new Core 2 Duo model. Ended up with a bigger hard drive and a dual layer burner. Came with 2 GB of ram like my old one did (even though I had added that ram after my original purchase).

Anyway, the new one works great. No problems with the keyboard, the screen isn't flickering... it's just good. It's nice to have my ol' laptop back again.

EDIT: Not only that, there is another small positive. This whole ordeal has ended leaving me with 3 power adapters, 2 remotes, 2 macbook boxes, 2 sets of original software.

I guess I'd consider that a perk. I once sold an iBook BOX with original software for $40 on eBay =)

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 6, 2006, 10:37 AM

Ben, it sounds like hassles or no, you wound up properly taken care of. Is this a happy ending?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Hi I'm Ben  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Ben, it sounds like hassles or no, you wound up properly taken care of. Is this a happy ending?
It's a happy ending if this laptop ends up working like all my others prior to my old MacBook which I have dubbed HellBook.

Right now, yes I'm happy. I'm not exactly happy that the only time I see real results from Apple is when I write a letter, but at least they respond when I do. I did spend hours dealing with the brokeness with my old machine. If time is money, then I start to question just how much I lost. Is this a happy ending? I suppose.

nickw311
Senior User
Dec 6, 2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Until recently 90 minutes was less than the time it would take me to get to the nearest Apple Store-I live in San Antonio, and the nearest Apple Store was in Austin until last Spring. Now it's about half an hour's drive depending on traffic.

But GEEZZZZZZ! Take that puppy to a store you don't feel creeped out by and show 'em what's going on. They'll be able to pull your service history and see that you have not been provided with the best of service. Hopefully they'll replace your MacBook (again) with a fully functional unit.
Well it took me about 60 - 75 minutes to get to the store not 90 minutes. I did however take full advantage of the fact that Cops don't care how fast you go in Michigan and was driving about 80+ mph the whole time.

As far as letting the people at the store see what is on the computer, I had an OSU background on my computer and this was about a week before the OSU - Mich game. They gave me hell for that but they were just joking.
27" iMac C2D

Bunit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 04:09 AM

The Apple store in Des Moines is great. They've always been nice to me about my computer issues. They even bumped me ahead of an hour wait in the Genius bar because the computer wasn't fixed properly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules