Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Spent the day in the ER yesterday

Spent the day in the ER yesterday
MrsLarry
Senior User
Jan 18, 2007, 11:14 AM

Apparently I'm allergic to my new migraine medicine, Maxalt.

My tongue and throat swelled up, hard to breathe. (Panicking didn't help either) Have you ever had your tongue itch? It's WEIRD. Some relaxing and Benadryl did the trick.

And to top it all off, the migraine came back after leaving the ER!!

/pity party

I know some of you are migraine sufferers, what do you take? My migraines are "infrequent" maybe once or twice a month, not enough to warrant and everyday type medication (says my doctor)

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 11:17 AM

I never took any migraine specific medication. The important thing is to act quickly when I feel it coming and take some ibuprofen, drink water and NOT drink any alcohol.

Mine tend to be episodic, there are periods where they come rather frequently, and then months will go by without a single one.

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 11:44 AM

I've only had one migraine in my life. I went running on a hot day for like 4 miles and came back to my desk at work. I was squinting and then I realized that I couldn't read anything; I could see in my periphery, but not where I was focusing. It was fuzzy like TV static. It started to spread out in my field of vision and then I panicked. I couldn't drive home, and so I just laid down in the storage room here at work and took like 600mg of ibuprofen.

I sympathize if you get migraines all the time. Glad you made it to the ER and got the problem diagnosed.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 11:52 AM

Sorry to hear about your ER visit.

So, do they think you are allergic to all triptans (the family of migraine meds that Maxalt is in) or just the Maxalt itself?
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jan 18, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
Sorry to hear about your ER visit.

So, do they think you are allergic to all triptans (the family of migraine meds that Maxalt is in) or just the Maxalt itself?
you lost me at triptans.... but honestly, i don't know, we'll see what the doc says today.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 12:11 PM

Triptans are the class of medicines that Maxalt is in and includes other migraine medicines that are related, such as Imitrex, Relpax, Zomig.

I was just wondering if they thought you were allergic to that one drug (Maxalt) or to the whole class of drugs. The problem is that if you are allergic to the whole class of that drug, your ability to control migraines may get a lot harder.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 12:20 PM

Sorry to hear about you not feeling well MrsLarry.
I use to tend to get migraines and ringing in my ears at least twice a week.
My friend said to go see a chiropractor because she thought something might be out of whack.
Been going once a week for the last couple of years, and you know what? Unless I'm under huge stress (which wasn't/isn't to often), I don't get the migraines anymore; and no more ringing what-so-ever.

If your insurance covers chiropractors I highly suggest going. Even if not just for your migraines, I've been sleeping better since I started going as well.

My 2¢

Alex

edit:
nice new signature MrsLarry.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 12:24 PM

I take 100mg of Imitrex, but I usually cut them in half and take 50mg (so does my wife).

If I didn't have Imitrex, I would have blown my own head off long ago.

My brother takes the injections, but I use the tablets. I tried the nasal spray, but it didn't work as well. So, 1 50mg pill at the onset and my migraine is gone in about 30 to 60 minutes.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jan 18, 2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
edit:
nice new signature MrsLarry.
thanks!

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2007, 01:12 PM

I got my first migraine in 1986 and have had them fairly regularly ever since. Until I started college in 2001 I never had any specific medications for them, just over the counter pain killers as my family never had any insurance. I was taken to the ER twice, but they would just give me C.A.T. scans and then prescribe hydrocodone or migrin. for the pain. I had a doctor recently give me some samples of Maxalt and I must say it was better than an orgasm. I think my sample was 3mg, but within 10 minutes I was feeling plenty of relief. It is unfortunate that you have a reaction to it.
On a side note, I am allergic to beans, with the same reactions as yours. I have an Epi-pen and all. Makes going out for Mexican food quite an adventure.
SAm

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 01:20 PM

Triptans are the class of medicines that Maxalt is in and includes other migraine medicines that are related, such as Imitrex, Relpax, Zomig.

I was just wondering if they thought you were allergic to that one drug (Maxalt) or to the whole class of drugs. The problem is that if you are allergic to the whole class of that drug, your ability to control migraines may get a lot harder.
Doc, what's your opinion on contact point surgery for the treatment of migraines?

More info for the layperson: BBC NEWS | Health | Nasal surgery hope for migraine

Railroader
Banned
Jan 18, 2007, 06:41 PM

The best thing for my migraines has been Triptans. I take Relpax now as my insurance for some reason wouldn't pay for Axert.

Axert is $30/pill from Rite Aid around here.

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2007, 10:44 PM

My wife has had pretty good results with a drug called Amerge. The only downside is that they are around $25 a tablet
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

galarneau
Senior User
Jan 18, 2007, 11:00 PM

Some people find propranolol to work well for migraine prevention.

It's a Tier-I drug, so very inexpensive as well ($4 for a month supply at WalMart)

Propranolol for migraine prophylaxis

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Doc, what's your opinion on contact point surgery for the treatment of migraines?

More info for the layperson: BBC NEWS | Health | Nasal surgery hope for migraine
I have heard about it once or twice, but I really don't know enough about it to have an opinion. It sounds promising, though.

There are a good number of patients that know their triggers well enough that avoidance keeps them pretty well in check.

A lot of patients who have several migraines a month, do well with daily doses of a beta blocker, just like galarneau said. Propranolol works very well and is cheap, but dosing tends to be 2-3x a day because of its half-life and tends to cause more side effects than a longer acting (once a day) beta blocker, like Toprol-XL. It's a little more expensive, but some people will pay the extra money for the convenience of once a day dosing and fewer side effects.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 11:45 PM

I have heard about it once or twice, but I really don't know enough about it to have an opinion. It sounds promising, though.

There are a good number of patients that know their triggers well enough that avoidance keeps them pretty well in check.
With contact point induced migraines, though, it may be impractical to avoid the triggers, such as a change in weather, if one isn't willing to move to a more amenable climate.

A lot of patients who have several migraines a month, do well with daily doses of a beta blocker, just like galarneau said. Propranolol works very well and is cheap, but dosing tends to be 2-3x a day because of its half-life and tends to cause more side effects than a longer acting (once a day) beta blocker, like Toprol-XL. It's a little more expensive, but some people will pay the extra money for the convenience of once a day dosing and fewer side effects.
Thanks for the info. I don't get migraines myself, but I know it's a real quality of life issue for others. Regular headaches are bad enough; luckily, I've sort of grown out of them.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 11:52 PM

With contact point induced migraines, though, it may be impractical to avoid the triggers, such as a change in weather, if one isn't willing to move to a more amenable climate.
Well that's easy then...

have your doc write out a prescription for you to move to California (or a similar climate) and see if your insurance will cover the cost of a new house and the move.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 19, 2007, 12:14 AM

Weather changes are a big trigger for me. As are some yeasty foods.

This last migraine I had Tuesday had me contemplating a move to Arizona. But I love my family too much to move so far away. If I can get my parents to move, I will seriously reconsider.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 19, 2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by galarneau View Post
Some people find propranolol to work well for migraine prevention.

It's a Tier-I drug, so very inexpensive as well ($4 for a month supply at WalMart)

Propranolol for migraine prophylaxis
I took propranolol for a short time. The side effects were killer. My wife made me quit. Let's just say ... I wanted to write a love song but her, but there was no lead in the pencil.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2007, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I wanted to write a love song but her, but there was no lead in the pencil.
You should have just skipped that romantic stuff and moved on to sex.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 19, 2007, 12:28 AM

You should have just skipped that romantic stuff and moved on to sex.
Hmmm... another analogy... The canoe and the little man didn't have an oar, only rope.

And we all know how hard [pun! ] it is to push rope.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2007, 12:38 AM

Hmmm... another analogy... The canoe and the little man didn't have an oar, only rope.

And we all know how hard [pun! ] it is to push rope.
So then you tried a romantic boat ride? Man, like I said, just skip to the sex.

(yes, I got it the first time....)

Actually that's why the long acting beta blockers tend to be more accepted by patients... that certain side effect tends to be less than the short acting Inderal, although it can still occur even in the long acting ones.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 19, 2007, 12:49 AM

So then you tried a romantic boat ride? Man, like I said, just skip to the sex.

(yes, I got it the first time....)

Actually that's why the long acting beta blockers tend to be more accepted by patients... that certain side effect tends to be less than the short acting Inderal, although it can still occur even in the long acting ones.
I know, I just wanted to use my other analogy for impotence (YES, I SAID IMPOTENCE)

The wonderful thing about triptans is the feeling that you just woke up from a long nap and are well rested. I like that side effect better.

hmmm.. impotence*... or wonderful wake up from a nap feeling...

Nappy time!

*YES, I SAID IT AGAIN!!!

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jan 19, 2007, 09:39 AM

Weather changes are a big trigger for me. As are some yeasty foods.

This last migraine I had Tuesday had me contemplating a move to Arizona. But I love my family too much to move so far away. If I can get my parents to move, I will seriously reconsider.
Word! When the sky is gray, it's highly likely that I have a migraine. I read online about headaches and barometric pressure.

http://www.relieve-migraine-headache...-headache.html

The other occurences of my migraines are period related. (sorry, i said period)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2007, 09:51 AM

Period and impotence in one and the same thread?

Thread delivers!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 19, 2007, 10:22 AM

I have a friend who "manages" her migraines with a variety of techniques. She uses oral meds and gets botox shots in her scalp. It turns out that built-up scalp muscle tension helps potentiate her migraines, so keeping that low with botox helps immensely.

Mrs. Larry, it's amazing how few people understand how significant the hormone level swings women experience are. And those hormones are SERIOUS drugs! Many women are far more prone to migraines around their periods-and unfortunately some are more prone before, some during, and others after. Like tension, the specific hormone balance that encourages migraines is a big variable in the equation.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

vexborg
Senior User
Jan 19, 2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
I know some of you are migraine sufferers, what do you take? My migraines are "infrequent" maybe once or twice a month, not enough to warrant and everyday type medication (says my doctor)
Well, my wife has been suffering from migraine for several years - but every since she's started drinking tea (5-6 cups a day), she hadn't had any major attacks.

It must be due the right amount of caffeine in the tea?
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jan 19, 2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by vexborg View Post
Well, my wife has been suffering from migraine for several years - but every since she's started drinking tea (5-6 cups a day), she hadn't had any major attacks.

It must be due the right amount of caffeine in the tea?
i love tea. but 2 cups a day is about all i can handle. caffeine DOES help though. thanks for the tip. Maybe I should head to Dunkin Donuts!

andi*pandi
Jan 19, 2007, 01:11 PM

Excedrin PM has a good dose of caffeine in it, it always helps me with a migraine that other OTC drugs won't touch. And water. lotsa water.

Forum Links
Forum Rules