Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dashboard is great, but…

Dashboard is great, but…
nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2005, 10:26 AM

…I am quickly running out of room on my old 15" monitor set at 1024x768. Maybe the next iteration would let me have two Dashboards so I could cycle between them. Otherwise, I would have to keep adding and deleting them to have room.

Here is what I keep up now:
  • Calculator
  • Calendar (minimized to just the date)
  • Address book
  • My Yahoo!
  • Weather (three locations)
  • Dictionary
  • Yellow Pages
  • Stock Tracker
  • Rabbit Radio (for NPR stations)

I would love to have package tracker, flight tracker, and scoreboard on a second Dashboard screen.
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

cla
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 09:05 AM

If non-active widgets would be better visualized (along screen edges without the requirement of scrolling in order to see them all), and that floating effect removed, I would feel somewhat more comfortable. As of now, a widget would be have to instantiated in order for me to be really effective.

The only thing I miss now is a netstat widget, showing ALL of my incoming and outgoing connections along with ports/protocols. Konfabulator had it, so I guess it's only a matter of time. (All I found was widgets showing my IP. What's next, a widget showing my name?)

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 08:12 AM

When we get truly scalable UI elements, Dashboard should have a slider, maybe even a per widget slider that will adjust the size of the widget(s).

When i say should, i mean it would be nice.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 09:20 AM

Dashboard is clearly a nefarious plot hatched by the evil iCon to persuade you to buy a larger monitor.

(P.S. i got a killer deal on a LaCie Electron blue 19" from LaCie's refurb page a while back. $199.00 American.)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by nemanirc

I would love to have package tracker, flight tracker, and scoreboard on a second Dashboard screen.
You are going to be running out of RAM soon too. DashBoard widgets use way too much memory for their functionality.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by SMacTech
You are going to be running out of RAM soon too. DashBoard widgets use way too much memory for their functionality.
Agreed. I have 11 widgets on my screen and they take up roughly 80 MB of RAM when inactive.

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 19, 2005, 07:02 PM

I agree about the limited space issue, and the difficulties with displaying inactive widgets. However, I downloaded DashOpener - it's among Apple's dashboard downloads - and it pretty much solves all the problems. It itself is very small and can easily open any widget without! that damn rippling! Okay it's impressive the first couple of times, but when you realise that you will actually be opening widgets reasonably often, it just gets in the way - as does the widget bar and its shifting of the whole screen!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Agreed. I have 11 widgets on my screen and they take up roughly 80 MB of RAM when inactive.
However since they're not actually doing anything with that 'RAM' it's almost definitely actually virtual memory and so isn't using up any of your RAM at all.

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2005, 05:25 PM

and how, pray tell could one disable/reinable the dash easily

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by bentoon
and how, pray tell could one disable/reinable the dash easily
Don't use it, and it's not there

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel
Don't use it, and it's not there
If I don't have any up on the screen when I activate DashB it still seems to be sucking Power No?

dru
Senior User
May 23, 2005, 11:41 PM

If you want it to go away (be disabled), close all the widgets and just don't run it. When you need items, pulled them onto your dashboard for that session.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by bentoon
If I don't have any up on the screen when I activate DashB it still seems to be sucking Power No?
Dashboard use no CPU if it's not running.

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2005, 08:56 AM

Ahh So,
Thank You...

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2005, 09:53 PM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2005, 06:08 AM

I'm resurrecting this thread because I was late to the Tiger party and want to comment on Widget memory bloat. If I leave widgets open for a few days, I'll notice most of them are taking around 60MBs real memory a piece. Third party widgets do this, but so do some of Apple's, such as the weather widget. The strange thing is, I really haven't noticed this in my other user's accounts, but they may be closing them more often.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 13, 2005 at 06:15 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

viruscool
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2005, 07:07 AM

I've noticed that aswell, I once caught Unit Converter using over 100MB, now that is a lot of memory hugging.
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 13, 2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by SMacTech
That is why I only keep the one or two I use alot open, and shut the others when not needed.

They don't take up any ram just sitting there in the doc

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
However since they're not actually doing anything with that 'RAM' it's almost definitely actually virtual memory and so isn't using up any of your RAM at all.
Yeah so it's in VM paged out to the disk. Then I have to sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for the widgets to get paged back in when I activate Dashboard next. That delay really is maddening. It pretty much ruins the idea of Dashboard. It's supposed to be information at my fingertips, not information about 10 seconds after I hit the F8 key.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
Yeah so it's in VM paged out to the disk. Then I have to sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for the widgets to get paged back in when I activate Dashboard next. That delay really is maddening. It pretty much ruins the idea of Dashboard. It's supposed to be information at my fingertips, not information about 10 seconds after I hit the F8 key.
I find the more significant delay comes from retrieving the information from the internet rather than paging the memory, and even then it's nearly instantaneous most of the time. I pretty much only use the world clock and weather widgets, though.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ShotgunEd
When we get truly scalable UI elements, Dashboard should have a slider, maybe even a per widget slider that will adjust the size of the widget(s).

When i say should, i mean it would be nice.
Bingo. Some widgets are horribly big.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
I find the more significant delay comes from retrieving the information from the internet rather than paging the memory, and even then it's nearly instantaneous most of the time. I pretty much only use the world clock and weather widgets, though.
I'm speaking of my experience on an 800MHz iBook G4, which has a very slow, almost full hard drive. I also could probably stand to add more RAM (I consistently get several gigs of swap with my current 640MB), and I use Dashboard very infrequently. As such, paging is probably a much bigger hit for me than you.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 10:22 AM

While on the subject of Dashboard, how about an option to snap to grid so they line up. AND WTF DO THEY SEEM TO MOVE AND REARRANGE WHEN I LEAVE DASHBOARD AND COME BACK LATER? argh!

gooffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 12:30 AM

Hmmm are you guys only concerened with silly memory ? anyone every thought this is the best way to launch a nice virus that does something in the background. Apple certainly doesn't check widgets they just promote them on their site. Now the first one will be a simple one like taking a screen shoot of what you have going on an sending of it to some server in the Ukraine, and before you know it there will be a widget that keystroke maps you, happy online banking. I say get rid of the damn Widgets they are for lazy bums, if you want to see maps open the browser and type the full url or use you bookmark don't widget it they are EVIL sounds to me like a mircosoft idea.
*m

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2005, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by gooffer
Hmmm are you guys only concerened with silly memory ? anyone every thought this is the best way to launch a nice virus that does something in the background. Apple certainly doesn't check widgets they just promote them on their site. Now the first one will be a simple one like taking a screen shoot of what you have going on an sending of it to some server in the Ukraine, and before you know it there will be a widget that keystroke maps you, happy online banking. I say get rid of the damn Widgets they are for lazy bums, if you want to see maps open the browser and type the full url or use you bookmark don't widget it they are EVIL sounds to me like a mircosoft idea.
You're late to the party - that issue was debated to death back when there was a legitimate security hole in Dashboard. The fact is, gooffer, Mac users are accustomed to downloading all sorts of freeware/shareware and demoware that has not been certified as virus free. Any of that software could contain malicious code, but OS X has not had any such incident as of yet.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

gooffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 12:53 AM

Well then I guess I hope little snitch will alert me when the s*** hits the fan.
*m

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2005, 01:05 AM

10.4.2 has increased widget security and increased widget management.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by gooffer
Widgets are for lazy bums? If that's the case, Mac OS X is for lazy bums. Computers are for lazy bums. Even pens are for lazy bums! We should all have to etch our ideas in stone: That's the proper way. Right?

Moving on, I have 1GB of RAM, and I'm uncomfortable having Dashboard take up over 100MB of RAM (with only about ten widgets open, and a lot more screen real estate to spare). I'm also uncomfortable buying more RAM just for Dashboard. Is there any way to tell Dashboard to only use memory that's paged to the HD? I could really care less if the widgets are slower...having them is more important.

Furthermore, is there a way to close a widget, and have it reappear in the correct location upon turning it back on?

I love these widgets so much, mainly for the novelty...but I worry that I won't be able to use them much.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Forum Links
Forum Rules