Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Sending audio to PCs

Sending audio to PCs
vutenor
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 10:48 AM

Hi guys. I'm pretty green with audio and video. I have a new iBook. Is it possible to shrink an mp3 or zip and mp3 so you can send it through e-mail?
I know yahoo (my email) only gives you 3 encoded megabytes. A short song on my list is 4.4 megabytes. Thanks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2004, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by vutenor:
Hi guys. I'm pretty green with audio and video. I have a new iBook. Is it possible to shrink an mp3 or zip and mp3 so you can send it through e-mail?
I know yahoo (my email) only gives you 3 encoded megabytes. A short song on my list is 4.4 megabytes. Thanks.
Zip won't help, as mp3 is already compressed to hell.

You can re-encode with a lower bitrate, which will reduce sound quality, but shrink file sizes.

In iTunes Preferences --> importing/encoding, change the bitrate to something lower.

Works (i.e. Sounds) best if you re-import from the original source, but you can also select the track you want to shrink, and select "Convert selection to mp3" from the "Advanced" menu.

-s*

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2004, 11:08 AM

Probably the easiest way for you would be to simply burn the mp3s from the Windows machine and take the CD to your iBook.

Chris

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 9, 2004, 06:14 PM

Or you can just use ichat or msn messenger to send a file to your pc friend. I do it all the time with my less fortunate pc friends.

Forum Links
Forum Rules