Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > APE Base Station - Not compatible with all ISPS?

APE Base Station - Not compatible with all ISPS?
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 03:31 PM

I'm concerned about the statement in the fine print that says something like, not all ISPs are compatible with AirPort. What exactly does that mean?

Does that mean that if my wife and I get APE-enabled PBs, we may not be able to share an internet connection, if our ISP is not AirPort compatible? BTW, we are *not* using AOL.

Thanks in advance!
( Last edited by TribeLeader; Nov 12, 2003 at 09:14 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 16, 2003, 12:39 PM

It means that you can't use it with CompuServe or any of those other oddball has-been online services. It also might not work with some of those free ISPs that they have for PCs that require you to plaster your screen with ads.

Basically, if you can the ISP with a Mac, you should be able to use it with AirPort. (AOL was originally the exception, but they fixed that.)

tooki

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 12:03 PM

Has anyone had problems with Airport Extreme and Bellsouth ADSL?

I am not able to get on with the Airport Extreme at all.

Bellsouth tech support is of no help. I have given them the MAC address of the Airport and it still does not work.

The Airport was to replace an old router that was only working now and then.

Thanks,
West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2003, 12:48 PM

One possible solution could be to buy an inexpensive cable/DSL router and put it between the DSL modem and the base station. Configure the base to bridge (that's on the Network tab of the Admin Utility), and let the router take care of DHCP for your computers and PPPoE authentication for the DSL. It would cost you $30-$50, but if it resolves a bunch of headaches, it may be worth it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules