Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 1942 Deluxe Strategy Guide?

Battlefield 1942 Deluxe Strategy Guide?
madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 10:49 PM

I searched high and low on Amazon for a strategy guide book for Battlefield 1942 Deluxe but have come up empty. Does anyone know of such a book or one with hints?

I ended up deleting all my previously-fought campaigns, and I had at least 10, and I have no idea how I did it so now I had to restart from the beginning.

I sure miss the days when "real" manuals on how to use all the options in any given program/game was the norm.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

iloop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2004, 02:40 AM

Kill the enemy. Don't die. Take the flags. Kill the enemy. Don't die.

There ya go....I just saved ya some cash!

iboy
Sep 14, 2004, 03:02 AM

A guide book sounds for me really unnecessary for any game... I never had that and finally I always reached to win a game!!! Is it not fun to find your own solution, your own way through the game, especially combat games?

gr�essli

iboy

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 11:39 AM

iloop, it sounds like you think I'm playing this game on-line? I want to learn the game first playing the AI.

iboy, I don't mind finding my own way, but if I don't know what the commands are and how they are used it's useless. In fact, when I'm on a ship and I use the landing craft I can drive it but can't get out at the beach. When I'm in an aircraft and try to land it always crashes. Are aircraft supposed to be able to land?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by madgreek:
iloop, it sounds like you think I'm playing this game on-line? I want to learn the game first playing the AI.

iboy, I don't mind finding my own way, but if I don't know what the commands are and how they are used it's useless. In fact, when I'm on a ship and I use the landing craft I can drive it but can't get out at the beach. When I'm in an aircraft and try to land it always crashes. Are aircraft supposed to be able to land?
RTFM?

...nay, but without a joystick lad, there ain't be landing no flyin' shippe. Arrggh!

Oh, yeah: Talk Like a Pirate Day is on the 19th! Damn.

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 12:24 PM

The 15-page manual, err booklet really, that deals with single player games doesn't explain a lot.

Joystick for flying is a good point
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

iboy
Sep 14, 2004, 01:18 PM

other question... is it not a bit slow on your laptop? On mine (Al 1.5GHz with 1GB memory) it is :-(

Did you install the patch (beta)?

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 01:34 PM

Slow? No, not at all. I have the 128MB graphics card and 2GBs of RAM so those items are probably helping a lot.

This game is actually very good, but once all my previous campaigns were somehow deleted I feel the need to go back to Call of Duty and play that again ;-)

As for the beta patch...I usually don't do betas of any kind, so no I have not installed it.
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

iboy
Sep 14, 2004, 02:00 PM

I won't belive that 1GB of memory is not enough
Al 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz / 1GB RAM / 64MB VRAM / Superdrive

iloop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2004, 07:16 PM

To open the landing craft the default key to open the front door is the up-arrow. If all you're missing is which keys are bound to what you can set them all in the game options (press escape).

I still think my advice stands as a winning strategy regardless of whether you are playing online or in single player.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 07:49 PM

1.33ghz/768MB RAM 12" at full res. works great. make sure to update to 10.3.5

Originally posted by iboy:
I won't belive that 1GB of memory is not enough

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 09:49 PM

iboy, 1GB should be more than enough. Make sure you have all the latest updates to the OS and then see what background tasks may be eating resources. You can check this by going to Activity Monitor. Also note that I did not change any of the graphic settings, I left them at their default settings.

iloop, THANKS! That's exactly the tip I'm looking for. One thing I found irrating about the ESC key is that if I'm in the middle of a campaign and I hit that key by mistake it won't let me continue with the campaign, I can only exit the campaign and start it from the beginning.
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules