Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Updated Powerbooks Coming???

New Updated Powerbooks Coming???
bcar473
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 12:07 PM

I am now in the infinite loop of wondering "what is next???" I just sold my 1GHz Powerbook on Ebay and wanted to get a 17" unit. My question is, do I order the unit through my education discount and then wait 5 weeks for the unit....or since its 5 weeks out, it will only be a few weeks more until the big developers conference in June. Do I wait to see their roadmap for the ppc 970?

I have a huge decision...get the 17" now and possibly end up with the situation that I had back in January when I bought a laptop and then was only 3 weeks old when Steve introduced the two new models OR wait and see what ends up with the 15.4" powerbook or possible revsions to the entire lineup?

I know some of you might say the common comment: "there will always be something around the corner and you can't wait forever!", but there is something HUGE possibly coming and I just want some opinions of what you all think.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 12:24 PM

Ummm... if you always want to wait for the next new soon to be model, then you'll never get to buy a one... I don't think the 17 inch will get a upgrade until at least 6 months after its release though. They still need to get as much money out of this as possible before moving into the next new model.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by bcar473:

I know some of you might say the common comment: "there will always be something around the corner and you can't wait forever!", but there is something HUGE possibly coming and I just want some opinions of what you all think.
What "huge" is possibly coming? What laptop are you using now, or aren't you?

Man, just simmer and enjoy your machine. What would be hugely different/better that the current 17" cannot do?

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 03:09 PM

Well, here's some info about the status of the 17" and 15.4" PowerBooks being manufactured by Compal in China from DigiTimes.

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 03:52 PM

Two questions that would be helpful are:

1) Has Apple ever introduced a new chip in the powerbook line first?

2) How long after a new chip is put in the Powermacs does it make its way into the Powerbooks?

I think the fact that 970s are not in the Powermacs right now (the 970s may not be even used by Apple) indicates that it will be a while until we see them in the Powerbooks.

djjava
Senior User
Apr 15, 2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Ummm... if you always want to wait for the next new soon to be model, then you'll never get to buy a one... I don't think the 17 inch will get a upgrade until at least 6 months after its release though. They still need to get as much money out of this as possible before moving into the next new model.

Ming
6 months???? maybe a little tweaking to the design, like the location of the lock, or things like that, but what can they do to it in 6 months??? new chip? no. dual chip? i think it will take longer than that to figure that one out.

any revision to the PB17 won't be big enough to make all us PB17 owners to raise hell and say, "damn! i should have waited!"

I am waiting for the 17" PB dual processor, with the G5/970... that thing will scream. Anything else won't be worth it, i'd rather wait.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 15, 2003, 04:25 PM

I actually could not live without a computer, so, not withstanding that: if I was you, I'd wait. I think the likelihood of Apple introducing a new laptop soon is very good - although I have no foundation for that opinion. However, I do not think that the laptop will have the 970 in it. If you are in the market for a desktop, then you *may* be able to get one of those soon, but I doubt we'll see them before the end of the year (please Apple prove me wrong).

I have the 17" and I absolutely love this thing. its fast, light, and very effective for my mobile office type of work. I have a Palm Tungsten T and am dying for my Moto v60i to die so I can get a bluetooth phone. I think you'd be very happy with the 17"... but if they are going to be coming out with a new 15"... then that will probably really kick ass. So, you have to ask yourself in you best Clint Eastwood voice, "Are you feeling lucky?"

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 04:32 PM

To me the 17" PBG4 is not much of an upgrade from the 15.2" TiBook 1gHz. You'd probably do better to wait for a real upgrade...unless you need something NOW!

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by jwtseng:
To me the 17" PBG4 is not much of an upgrade from the 15.2" TiBook 1gHz. You'd probably do better to wait for a real upgrade...unless you need something NOW!
Right.. the only difference you will have when buying a 17" PowerBook will be a screen that is 1.8" larger and a different material the machine is made out of. It will not be faster, and you will actually have less battery life.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 06:02 PM

I would wait, if you can. I could have used a new laptop close to a year before I finally got my 12-inch. (the laptop is a 3400 -- no OSX, so none of the programs I was using.) I muddled through because I do have a G4 desktop -- I need the laptop for freeing me from a basement office.

But what I rteally wanted was an ibook with a G4, so I just held on -- and believe me it was really hard. And I was so glad I did. Steve Jobs introduced just the model I was looking for.

Short answer: unless you're desperate, hang on. You may be disappointed there's no fabulous new model, but at least you'lll KNOW.

bcar473  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 06:17 PM

OK, I have a Dual G4 Desktop currently and also a winblows Toshiba laptop currently, I pitched the 15" powerbook because of the paint issues, the lack of bluetooth internally and the fact that I downgraded the hard drive to 40 gigs and got a combo drive instead of the Superdrive. So with these issues I figured get out while it still had value in the unit on the used market.

I now have the choice of the 15" albook or 17" albook, so wait or buy, that is the question.....if the 15" albook is just gonna pop up soon and has all the same features for substantially less than the 17" then I guess I will get that.

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 07:00 PM

i say buy and think later u cant be smart about this ... computers get upgraded all the time any current apple config would at least last u 1-2 years with no probs dont u guys think so?

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 08:36 PM

Let's be honest. You're always going to be sorry with anything you buy. Why? Something new and better will come along in a very short time that will leave your new machine in the dust. That's the reality. My rule of thumb: When your old machine can't run the programs or systems you want it's time to upgrade.

Just make a decision and enjoy your computer! You have to accept the fact that after its 15 minutes of fame it's going to be very functional but old technology.

djjava
Senior User
Apr 15, 2003, 08:46 PM

heck.. let's just all wait till the ultra-super-mega-powerbook comes out, with a 100 terrabytes of hard drive space, 1 terrabyte of ram, and a 20" screen.... come on peop\le... wait wait wait?? if we keep waiting, how will apple make their money? and how will we ever go online, type our papers, play our games, check our e-mail, etc....

if we keep waiting for the bigger, better machine, we'll never buy computers... suck it up and buy the damn thing. Everyone who owns a 17" PB.... loves it! Myself included... i couldn't wait anymore... and being a switcher makes the deal even sweeter. Yeah, a new revision could come out soon, but this one will be fine for three years (when my AppleCare runs out).

Buy the 17" now, you won't be dissappointed.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by jwtseng:
Yup, I'd have to agree with you there. I'd like to see a 1.25GHz upgrade and better video in there.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by bcar473:
OK, I have a Dual G4 Desktop currently and also a winblows Toshiba laptop currently, I pitched the 15" powerbook because of the paint issues, the lack of bluetooth internally and the fact that I downgraded the hard drive to 40 gigs and got a combo drive instead of the Superdrive. So with these issues I figured get out while it still had value in the unit on the used market.

I now have the choice of the 15" albook or 17" albook, so wait or buy, that is the question.....if the 15" albook is just gonna pop up soon and has all the same features for substantially less than the 17" then I guess I will get that.
There is one way to decide: ask yourself how bad do I need a new PB? Then you just decide on a deadline. When the D day comes you log on the apple store and buy wathever is available..
That's what I did when I boght my Tibook. I planned to buy it mid January (got the cash to get it at that time). In the mean time the 17" came out but because I settled for a 15", well, the 20th of january I just placed my order..
And you want to know something.? I don't regret a single minute my decision..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 01:27 AM

I can either buy a 15" PowerBook tomorrow for dirt-cheap pricing, tax free, and no upfront payment (nor interest) tomorrow, or I can wait and hope that the 15" becomes Aluminum before I go to college and pay more for it. Money is tight, but I'm waiting because the 12 and 17" models just feel so much more solid than the 15".

Anyone agree with this decision, or am I nuts here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules