Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > X.3 test update in Software Update.

X.3 test update in Software Update.
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 11, 2003, 04:36 PM

Apparently it's supposed to test the software update function, and corrects some issues with Expos�, Mail and iChat.

I can't test it though, since I'm running X.2.6.

JonoG4
Senior User
Jul 11, 2003, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Optimizing now :-)
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

JonoG4
Senior User
Jul 11, 2003, 09:00 PM

Build 7A202 :-)
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2003, 11:51 PM

update...restart...KP...****

hmpf

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 01:28 AM

WTF - I ran the updater and now there's hair growing out of my G4!

And what's worse is that I cannot get HBO on cable anymore.

To think I was almost going to buy this piece of crap when it's released 3 months from now.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:

To think I was almost going to buy this piece of crap when it's released 3 months from now.
Hopefully your post was intended as a joke...
( Last edited by pat++; Jul 12, 2003 at 06:13 AM. )

kafka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2003, 06:24 AM

i hear that the update gives a nice speed bump in expos� for pismos. anybody?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2003, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by pat++:
Hopefully your post was intended as a joke...
What? Didn't updating make your computer grow hair and disrupt your TV reception too?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Thor
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2003, 07:38 AM

hmmm... Software Update....it'll be a great way for Apple to track down the pirates.

teknologika
Jul 12, 2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Thor:
hmmm... Software Update....it'll be a great way for Apple to track down the pirates.
Yeah talk about an easy, instant way to get a list if pirates IP addresses.

And then for even more fun, trace the address back to the the ISP and blammo.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 11:35 AM

Yeah I was thinking that too. On the otherhand, the WWDC release was handed out to a lot of people. Is Apple really going to spend the time to separate legitimate users from those like me? Plus many people have dynamic IP addresses which will be hard to trace. Plus the ISP doesn't have any responsibility for policing what their users do.

As for the update, my ipod appear to behave itself now with Panther.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 11:42 AM

Is Apple really going to spend the time to separate legitimate users from those like me?
Hopefully.
Plus many people have dynamic IP addresses which will be hard to trace.
Your ISP keeps records of which subscriber had which IP address, and when they had it.
Plus the ISP doesn't have any responsibility for policing what their users do.
No, but most ISPs have a terms of service that say you can't use their service for copyright infringement, which is what this would be.

iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Thor:
This would be prohibitively expensive for what it would achieve. I can't see Apple even wanting to track down these "pirates" since they are possibly some of the most loyal of the loyal Mac users. I bet nearly every one of the people who are downloading pre-release Panther versions will legitimately buy a copy when it is released. They just enjoy having the latest and greatest version. I for one think it would be shooting yourself in the foot trying to prosecute these people.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by iJed:
[BI bet nearly every one of the people who are downloading pre-release Panther versions will legitimately buy a copy when it is released.[/B]
I bet that fewer than half will.

But there's no way for either of us to know conclusively if he's right.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 02:17 PM

WTF - I ran the updater and now there's hair growing out of my G4!
You have to edit AUTOEXEC.BAT and add the line NOHAIR.EXE

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 02:58 PM

would be prohibitively expensive for what it would achieve. I can't see Apple even wanting to track down these "pirates" since they are possibly some of the most loyal of the loyal Mac users. I bet nearly every one of the people who are downloading pre-release Panther versions will legitimately buy a copy when it is released. They just enjoy having the latest and greatest version. I for one think it would be shooting yourself in the foot trying to prosecute these people.

That's what I think too. In fact I will be buying Panther. Plus, I try and lobby people to the advantages of OS X and convince people on the benefits of getting a new mac.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2003, 03:34 PM

Can we talk about the actual update here maybe?

I haven't noticed any changes.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
Can we talk about the actual update here maybe?

I haven't noticed any changes.

Newer Safari v85 I believe.

Expose is the same for me.

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
I bet that fewer than half will.

But there's no way for either of us to know conclusively if he's right.
I recall that Steve Jobs said in the WWDC keynote that the Panther pre-release would expire on December 31, 2003 and stop working.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Target Practice:
I recall that Steve Jobs said in the WWDC keynote that the Panther pre-release would expire on December 31, 2003 and stop working.
That doesn't prevent the people who downloaded the WWDC Panther build from downloading the GM build.

natan
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Target Practice:
I thought that was in reference to the iChat AV Public Beta...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by natan:
I thought that was in reference to the iChat AV Public Beta...
Correct.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 06:27 PM

The update seems to fix some hang-ups i was having with Mail.app

before the update mail would hang when recieving some messages from one of my mail servers...runs great now.

Vi0
Baninated
Jul 12, 2003, 06:45 PM

Puhleeeeez...

I think Apple has better things to do like training its web manager to not leak future specs on the web rather than busting down the front door of 14 year old running Panther DP he downloaded and arresting him. Apple doesn't review IP addresses at all, unless there is specific inquiry about a particular one.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2003, 07:17 PM

How would apple track down the pirates? Sure they will have a list of IPs, but that is worthless to them. There is no serial number of 10.3, so there is no way to connect a specific copy with a person or group. Also remember that a ton of people were given this version. Look at a big company like Adobe, I'll bet they took their copy and installed it on a bunch of machines and their developers went home and installed it on some of their own machines too for testing. How the hell is apple going to track down the legitimate vs non-legitimate users?

I'll bet half of the people pirating 10.3 are amateur developers who can't afford to spend $500 a year to be an Apple dev. When people pirate the retail 10.3, then yell at them.

-matt

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2003, 08:23 PM

ecaxtly!
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 08:50 PM

The update hasn't fixed with the problem of getting mail from comcast servers. My Mac account works very nicely though.

Has anyone got any POP account to work?

I'm surprised how well this build feels in general - there are few issues, but in my opinion way less than the DP1 issued for Jaguar.

Seems to me that Panther will easily come out by September. Most apps work that don't have to deal with guts of the OS that may have been altered.

Even Office opens faster! I would say 3x faster than with Jaguar on a G4/400.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2003, 09:36 PM

What issues are you having re: Comcast's email servers? Apologies if it's been discussed on the forums, but I haven't come across anything like that.

Mail.app works fine with Comcast's email servers so far for me. In 10.2 and 10.3.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
How would apple track down the pirates? Sure they will have a list of IPs, but that is worthless to them. There is no serial number of 10.3, so there is no way to connect a specific copy with a person or group. Also remember that a ton of people were given this version. Look at a big company like Adobe, I'll bet they took their copy and installed it on a bunch of machines and their developers went home and installed it on some of their own machines too for testing. How the hell is apple going to track down the legitimate vs non-legitimate users?

I'll bet half of the people pirating 10.3 are amateur developers who can't afford to spend $500 a year to be an Apple dev. When people pirate the retail 10.3, then yell at them.

-matt
They probably wouldn't track it back to people but i wouldn't be suprised if they keep an eye on the number of update requests. I think mac users really take advantage of the no-serial/activation thing, too much actually.

And i really don't know what you are smoking, but i don't know anyone that has panther that is an "amateur developer".

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 11:36 PM

What issues are you having re: Comcast's email servers? Apologies if it's been discussed on the forums, but I haven't come across anything like that.

Mail.app works fine with Comcast's email servers so far for me. In 10.2 and 10.3.
Simply stated the server refuses to recognize my password when in Panther.

The same account works fine for 10.2.

I haven't gone though both account settings to see if anythign is different.

Any advice?

preacherman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2003, 12:59 AM

Panther actually DOES have a serial number. Go to the About box and double click on the "10.3 (Preview Release)" text.

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 13, 2003, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by preacherman:
Panther actually DOES have a serial number. Go to the About box and double click on the "10.3 (Preview Release)" text.
I believe that is your machines serial number (all new world machines have one?). If you open the "About this Mac" box in Jag, and click on the version number twice, you will see the "serial number", which matches up to the "customer serial number" in apple system profiler. So it is not new to Panther.

They can't use that for tracking (only cataloging and matching to IPs), as you don't supply that info when they handed out the cds at WWDC.

And on a side note, legit devs that didn't go to WWDC still haven't gotten their seed coppies yet. I wonder if any of this "piracy" is holding that back, or if Apple is just taking there time mailing them out.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by kupan787:
I believe that is your machines serial number (all new world machines have one?).
it surely is! seeing as how it's the same serial number found on my iMac's box.

Pale Rider
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by Dex13:
Newer Safari v85 I believe.

Expose is the same for me.

For me, Mail seems snappier on my TiBook 500, but the only real change I see is a diminution of functionality. The "Expose All Windows"/F9 function no longer works correctly. All it does is dim the desktop, while the foreground and background apps stay "illuminated." Whereas F10 and F11 still function correctly.

dawho9
Senior User
Jul 14, 2003, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by kupan787:
And on a side note, legit devs that didn't go to WWDC still haven't gotten their seed coppies yet. I wonder if any of this "piracy" is holding that back, or if Apple is just taking there time mailing them out.
This is somewhat troublesome to me. I have been waiting for my copy of Panther for a couple of weeks now. Someone has given me a "copy" of DP1, but I have held off on installing because I wanted to be legit, but I also want to test some of my apps.

Here's hoping it will be in the mail soon...

dw9

Forum Links
Forum Rules