Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > network installation? (cd/dvd broken)

network installation? (cd/dvd broken)
spotze23
Jul 30, 2003, 09:51 AM

hi

is there a way to install osx (jaguar / panther) via network? the cd/dvd of my powerbook got broken today and i need to upgrade panther or move back to jaguar.

there are linux, osx and windows computers around which i could use for it.

regards

spotze

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 12:19 PM

There's an app called NetRestore, which can do this.

The only other way I know of would be to have a Mac OS X Server box setup with NetBoot, which I'm not even sure if NetBoot works with OS X.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 01:33 PM

Mac OS X Server features NetInstall ... you need to make a image of the complete -new- install first, then NetInstall it.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
There's an app called NetRestore, which can do this.

The only other way I know of would be to have a Mac OS X Server box setup with NetBoot, which I'm not even sure if NetBoot works with OS X.
NetRestore requires Mac OS X Server 10.2 or greater. It relies on OS X's NetInstall.

NetBoot does work with OS X but it is for booting from an image on the server. NetInstall, which relies on NetBoot technology, is what you use to install from the network.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
Mac OS X Server features NetInstall ... you need to make a image of the complete -new- install first, then NetInstall it.
With NetInstall you just need to make an image of the Install CD. NetRestore is the one where you need to make an image of a complete install from a hard drive.
Vandelay Industries

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
NetRestore requires Mac OS X Server 10.2 or greater.
Close, but that contradicts the System Requirements listed here. It just says Mac OS X 10.2.2 or later. NetRestore does include a utility to convert NetInstall images into NetBoot images that NetRestore can use though.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
Close, but that contradicts the System Requirements listed here. It just says Mac OS X 10.2.2 or later. NetRestore does include a utility to convert NetInstall images into NetBoot images that NetRestore can use though.
That's for the actual application used to create/modify the images. However, you need OS X Server 10.2.x to actually serve the images.
Vandelay Industries

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2003, 04:43 PM

FYI:

NetRestore seems built-in now with the latest build of Panther's Disk Utility...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
FYI:

NetRestore seems built-in now with the latest build of Panther's Disk Utility...

I'm not on my Panther system right now, but I believe it has CCC functionality built into it, not NetRestore functionality.
Vandelay Industries

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2003, 04:53 PM

I'm not on my Panther system right now, but I believe it has CCC functionality built into it, not NetRestore functionality.
Nope, it's definitely "Restore" as the tab suggests in the Disk Utility window...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 04:55 PM

Nope, it's definitely "Restore" as the tab suggests in the Disk Utility window...

Right, but it's not NetRetore using OS X Server NetInstall services. It's restore using CCC/ASR technology.
Vandelay Industries

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2003, 04:58 PM

Right, but it's not NetRetore using OS X Server NetInstall services. It's restore using CCC/ASR technology.
NetRestore can use any given ASR image, it doesn't have to be served from OS X Server; however, it's the same technology yes...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 05:03 PM

NetRestore can use any given ASR image, it doesn't have to be served from OS X Server; however, it's the same technology yes...
Ok, you're right. I forgot that NetRestore can be used without the "Net." However, it is mostly intended to be used with NetInstall, hence the name. Yes, ASR is the underlying technology for all of these tools.
Vandelay Industries

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2003, 05:07 PM

Ok, you're right. I forgot that NetRestore can be used without the "Net." However, it is mostly intended to be used with NetInstall, hence the name. Yes, ASR is the underlying technology for all of these tools.
Yeah, I actually use NetRestore to "restore" iBooks within our district from an External FW drive instead of the "Net" because it takes no time at all, compared to fighting the network traffic and trying to restore.

Bombich is amazing though, if it wasn't for CCC making the ASR's for me and then NetRestore loading them flawlessly EVERY SINGLE TIME, my life would be miserable...I am glad Apple hired him as an SE, he deserves it!

spotze23  (op)
Jul 31, 2003, 04:47 AM

thanks for your help. the problem is that i dont have an os x server...

can i use netrestore from an another partition of the harddrive? and will netrestore like a standard installation / upgrade / downgrade? or will it delete the harddrive?

thanks

spotze23  (op)
Jul 31, 2003, 05:43 AM

the jaguar installation has two cd images. how can i use the second when i restore via images?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 09:48 AM

Yeah, I actually use NetRestore to "restore" iBooks within our district from an External FW drive instead of the "Net" because it takes no time at all, compared to fighting the network traffic and trying to restore.

Bombich is amazing though, if it wasn't for CCC making the ASR's for me and then NetRestore loading them flawlessly EVERY SINGLE TIME, my life would be miserable...I am glad Apple hired him as an SE, he deserves it!

Yeah, I'm a System Admin at NASA Langley Research Center (actually I work for a Contractor) and we use NetRestore and external FireWire drives to blast our "Standard Load" image onto all the new machines we get in. Works flawlessly, and it's FAST. Good stuff.

spotze23  (op)
Aug 16, 2003, 09:43 AM

now i tried to upgrade jaguar via firewire target mode from a g4. it works until the 2nd cd. but then i cant boot again from the pb disk to install cd 2.

any hints to upograde the system or repair the drive?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by spotze23:
now i tried to upgrade jaguar via firewire target mode from a g4. it works until the 2nd cd. but then i cant boot again from the pb disk to install cd 2.

any hints to upograde the system or repair the drive?
Just use FireWire target mode again. Open the CD on the G4 and run the installer from the CD and select your PowerBook as the target disk.
Vandelay Industries

spotze23  (op)
Aug 16, 2003, 03:58 PM

thats what i have done. but before the second cd it reboots. now i cant boot the g4 from the pb-drive. it shows a grey "do not enter" sign.

on the second cd theres the bsd-subsystem and the language packs. could i burn a new compilation of the two cds on dvd?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 04:36 PM

After your PB reboots from the first CD install, let it boot up on its own. When it asks for the second CD, click cancel. You'll then run through the Setup Assistant, etc. When that is all done, shut it down and put it in FireWire target mode. With your G4 booted into OS X, connect your PB, insert CD 2, and run the installer on CD 2. Choose your PB as the destination disk.
Vandelay Industries

spotze23  (op)
Aug 16, 2003, 06:58 PM

i cant click the "cancel"-button. it is grayed out. i turned it in target mode again and run the installer from the g4. the installer runs. it seemed as it will work but then it quits with an error. a second try does not work.

i found carbon copy cloner. do you think i can just clone the system from the g4 to the powerbook? will this destroy my data on the powerbook drive? or will it just replace the old system files?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 07:16 PM

I haven't played with CCC much, but I think it will overwrite your existing stuff.

Another option for CD 2 is to copy the contents of CD 2 onto your PB from your G4. Then boot your PB and run the installer from the PB.
Vandelay Industries

spotze23  (op)
Aug 16, 2003, 07:22 PM

ok. the installation worked from the g4 to the pb. but when i start the pb it still wants cd 2 for installation. the problem is that i cant boot from the pb anymore. it stops booting os x and want the second cd. i cant switch into aqua.

i think i will try a complete new installation via target mode (without the packets on cd 2 -> bsd sub, apllications, language packs)...
( Last edited by spotze23; Aug 16, 2003 at 07:31 PM. )

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 07:32 PM

This time around, don't select any of the CD 2 items when you install. Then you won't be hassled to insert CD 2 later. Then when you are finally booted on your PB, you can manually install CD 2.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 07:33 PM

Nevermind, you beat me to it.
Vandelay Industries

spotze23  (op)
Aug 17, 2003, 08:44 AM

it worked! just installed items from the first cd. but now i do not have any administrator priviledges on the powerbook. root doesnt work. i cant even change the network settings. any hints?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by spotze23:
it worked! just installed items from the first cd. but now i do not have any administrator priviledges on the powerbook. root doesnt work. i cant even change the network settings. any hints?

Did you install Panther or Jaguar?
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules