Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook owners got screwed!

New Powerbook owners got screwed! (Page 3)
Greasyboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 06:09 PM

Go here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

I'm getting mine for $20.

Stop complaining and go here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Yup.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 06:36 PM

By the way guys. . . I went to the web page and typed in my S/N and I got it for $20. I ordered from my school the day after the announcement but received one week later on the 23rd.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2003, 09:16 PM

My PowerBook purchased two weeks ago qualified too. Very strange indeed. I half expect to get an email soon from Apple saying "sorry, there's been a mistake."

bfurtado
Oct 8, 2003, 09:36 PM

It says it can't find my serial number. i ordered via phone so I don't have an apple ID. I used the other option and entered 1800 My Apple as the store but couldn't identify the serial number. I am in Canada. Maybe I will call tomorrow

Brian

pdub99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by bfurtado:
It says it can't find my serial number. i ordered via phone so I don't have an apple ID. I used the other option and entered 1800 My Apple as the store but couldn't identify the serial number. I am in Canada. Maybe I will call tomorrow

Brian
Make sure that you remove the "-" from the S/N

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 09:49 PM

Are Apple's Up To Date OS releases the full versions? Or are they upgrade only. I did get the iLife Up To Date earlier this year and they were just CDs in a sleeve, nothing more.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by schk:
Are Apple's Up To Date OS releases the full versions? Or are they upgrade only. I did get the iLife Up To Date earlier this year and they were just CDs in a sleeve, nothing more.
Last time I got an Up To Date upgrade, it was just that, an upgrade. It had to be installed on top of the previous version, in that case 10.1. I expect it'll be the same this time. It's not the ideal solution but it works.
( Last edited by iDaver; Oct 8, 2003 at 10:33 PM. )

MacsGalor
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 10:25 PM

I also was not supossed to qualify but I did. I added a new thread on this it also has a poll check it out
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=181278

bfurtado
Oct 8, 2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by pdub99:
Make sure that you remove the "-" from the S/N
I didn't see a - but it didn't work anyway. I even followed the instructions to find the serial number but nothing. Maybe I am putting the wrong number in.

Its also an education order.

Brian

MacsGalor
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 11:10 PM

I didn't see a - but it didn't work anyway. I even followed the instructions to find the serial number but nothing. Maybe I am putting the wrong number in.

Its also an education order.

Brian
I don't know what directions you were using but do this;
Go to the Apple in the top left of the menu bar >go to about this Mac>look for where it says the OS version>click it twice (the first click will bring up the build, the second will give you the s/n. there is no dash when looking there.

bfurtado
Oct 8, 2003, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
I don't know what directions you were using but do this;
Go to the Apple in the top left of the menu bar >go to about this Mac>look for where it says the OS version>click it twice (the first click will bring up the build, the second will give you the s/n. there is no dash when looking there.
Yup. That's exactly what I did. but it found nothing. i do appreciate the help, however.

MacsGalor
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 11:14 PM

Yup. That's exactly what I did. but it found nothing. i do appreciate the help, however.
make sure you went to the correct place there is one for Online store orders and another for retail store purchases. Where did you get it?

bfurtado
Oct 8, 2003, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
make sure you went to the correct place there is one for Online store orders and another for retail store purchases. Where did you get it?
Got it from Apple but via phone order. So I didn't select "Apple Online Store" as I have no Apple ID. What should I put as the store? I put 1800MYAPPLE.
Brian

MacsGalor
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 11:20 PM

Got it from Apple but via phone order. So I didn't select "Apple Online Store" as I have no Apple ID. What should I put as the store? I put 1800MYAPPLE.
Brian
Not quite sure on that one. Do you have .mac? that also doubles as your user ID. otherwise you can create one for free. The only thing there is I doubt that they will have your order. Anyone else have some suggestions for him?

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 11:42 PM

i went to the link that says "for apple online store orders" and it asked where i bought it eg: compusa it got to this page after i entered my apple store login, so what is up with that....

Stil it doesnt recognize my serial # , gonna call.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

hldan
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by eScrib:
Looks like for those of us that wanted to get our hands on the latest PB revisions got the door slammed in our faces by Apple.

We'll have to all pay FULL price ($129) for Panther if you purchased your new AlBook prior to today. But yet all G5 owners, regardless of purchase date will get it for just the shipping & handling charge?

Does this make ANY sense???

eScrib I don't mean to be an A-hole about it but who cares if you bought your powerbook a bit too early. I have Rev A 17"PB and a few short months after it was released then Rev B comes out faster and with USB 2 and better graphics, a lot cheaper and faster DVD burning built in. Plus I don't get Panther either for free. Most people are going to have to pay for Panther if they want their own copy.
You guys that bought the latest Powerbooks a few days too early please don't look for too much sympathy. Besides most of us knew that Panther was coming out soon. The only sure fire way to get the latest OS included with your new Mac is to buy the computer after Panther is released.
I certainly wish that all I had to do is pay $129.00 and get Panther and the latest Powerbook.
This is the same crap that people were complaining about when Jaguar came out last year. Quit Urr whining!
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

skyman
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 01:28 AM

I am waiting until Panther is pre-installed and all the issues with the 15" are resolved. Then my Ti PowerBook will be on eBay.

And, having Panther on DVD will be a plus.

skyman
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 01:33 AM

For Power Mac G5 systems
Customers who purchase a qualifying new Power Mac G5 (M9020LL/A, M9031LL/A, M9032LL/A) regardless of purchase date that does not have Mac OS X Panther v10.3 included can upgrade to Mac OS X Panther.

I have to agree that this is not a fair policy at all. What is Apple thinking?

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
You guys that bought the latest Powerbooks a few days too early please don't look for too much sympathy.
What annoys me is that I bought early hoping to have it by the time I went to uni. It was delayed and delayed and I still don't have it... yet my order date was before the deadline.

Oh well. Jaguar's worked fine for the past year or so... I can last a bit longer on it.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
eScrib I don't mean to be an A-hole about it but who cares if you bought your powerbook a bit too early. I have Rev A 17"PB and a few short months after it was released then Rev B comes out faster and with USB 2 and better graphics, a lot cheaper and faster DVD burning built in. Plus I don't get Panther either for free. Most people are going to have to pay for Panther if they want their own copy.
You guys that bought the latest Powerbooks a few days too early please don't look for too much sympathy. Besides most of us knew that Panther was coming out soon. The only sure fire way to get the latest OS included with your new Mac is to buy the computer after Panther is released.
I certainly wish that all I had to do is pay $129.00 and get Panther and the latest Powerbook.
This is the same crap that people were complaining about when Jaguar came out last year. Quit Urr whining!
I see where you're coming from...

However, if Apple's policy was "All machines bought on or after Oct. 8th are eligible for the Panther upgrade", I would be fine with that.

But extending the offer to ALL G5 owners, for NO apparent reason, while leaving ALL others (regardless of type) literally in the cold is wrong.

Keep the T&Cs the same for everyone...

Quinn
Oct 9, 2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Amorya:
What annoys me is that I bought early hoping to have it by the time I went to uni. It was delayed and delayed and I still don't have it... yet my order date was before the deadline.

Oh well. Jaguar's worked fine for the past year or so... I can last a bit longer on it.

Amorya
You should be ok then. Ring the AppleStore in the UK. They told me that as long as your mac SHIPS after the 8th, you are entitled to the upgrade.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
By the way guys. . . I went to the web page and typed in my S/N and I got it for $20. I ordered from my school the day after the announcement but received one week later on the 23rd.
Same here, ordered the day after the keynote, received on the 23rd, I qualified as well.

Quinn
Oct 9, 2003, 11:10 AM

Just checked my order status online to see how my 12" PB order is progressing. It changed from 'Being Reviewed' to 'Being Assembled' today but the order date changed from the 25th Sept (the day I ordered) to the 9th October.

Maybe this has happened to other people whose mac have not shipped yet.

bluejam
Oct 9, 2003, 01:37 PM

Will the price for Panther go down in time, like 6 mo to a year? Im in no big rush. I'd like to get it but the upgrades from Jag don't seem worth $130. Fifty to sixty sounds about right to me.Did Jag go down after a while?
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Cop Rock
Oct 9, 2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by bluejam:
Will the price for Panther go down in time, like 6 mo to a year? Im in no big rush. I'd like to get it but the upgrades from Jag don't seem worth $130. Fifty to sixty sounds about right to me.Did Jag go down after a while?
Nope, a full copy of Jaguar still costs $129 (although it is occasionally available with rebates. Last summer Amazon sold it with a $50 rebate.)

Some places like OWC will eventually start selling upgrade disks that can be used to upgrade to Panther if you already have Jaguar. I don't know exactly where they get these.

Here's the current page for their Jaguar updates ($50):

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...em=APLOSX102UP

spotze23
Oct 9, 2003, 04:28 PM

i am absolutely pissed, too! waited since january, got a bad screen, mainboard sizzles and now i should pay for the uptodate system.

the apple customer care was very unfriendly today. i think more angry people called them. they just said "no chance, no upgrade!"

$%%$%�"�%�!!!

in germany you have to send your bill and a piece of your powerbook-box via mail to ireland. (?) hitech...

http://www.apple.com/de/macosx/uptodate/software/

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 04:36 PM

Why shouldn't you pay for it? How much of a free ride do you want?

Hmmm, let's see, I just bought a new SUV from the dealer, knowing FULL WELL that the dealer was about to upgrade the stereo in it in the VERY NEAR future. My choice was to buy now.

THEN, 3 weeks later, the dealer upgrades the stereo in all shipping models of the SUV. Well, I should just be able to storm down there and not pay for the new stereo right?? Just make them put it in for free?

WRONG!

Welcome to the world of consumer choice. You choose when to buy your machine. You could have waited. You didn't. There are no free rides in this world.

The most ironic thing of all, however, is that when we brag to others about how much we love the Mac the main arguement I hear is "OSX OSX OSX". When people tell us their PC is better we say "but it doesn't run OSX".

If the OSX is that good (and it is compared to what is out there), then it is WORTH PAYING FOR!

I truly don't mean to sound like a dink, but I mean, come on people, we are adults. We make our decision on when and what to buy. You would have had to been living under a rock to not know Panther was coming. Just because you chose to buy early doesn't mean you should now get a free ride on a software purchase.

spotze23
Oct 9, 2003, 07:42 PM

are you blind? when i buy a new notebook i dont want to buy two weeks later a new os.

apple released new powerbooks. and they knew that nearly all buyers will buy panther some weeks later. thats evil!

appleslaves...

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by spotze23:
are you blind? when i buy a new notebook i dont want to buy two weeks later a new os.
AND YOU DON"T HAVE TO! God you people are whiners.
Agent69

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 08:39 PM

Well, blind...no.

Adult....yes.

I know that when I purchase something from a company, I have purchased THAT product from the company. That does not mean I get a free ride on other products the company is offering.

What you call an AppleSlave, I call mature. I study my purchase and buy what I want after I have saved up enough for it. If I like the product and the company has another product I like, I either wait for a deal, or I pay for it.

It's called maturity...not AppleSlave.

Anemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 11:29 PM

I'm a first time mac user. I bought my new powerbook on the 16th when they were announced, and it came on 10/3 so I dont qualify. I'd like the $20 upgrade deal, but if I dont get it, I'll be content with 10.2 for a long time to come seeing as how this is my first time with an apple.

The bottom line here people, is that you dont have to upgrade to 10.3, you WANT to upgrade.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 12:53 AM

I bought my eMac on the 15th, received it and registered on the 21st. My serial number wasn't found so I called Apple and asked if I qualified for the up to date program. After a few minutes on hold they responded with a YES, I just need to fill out some paperwork. So before you start bitching and whining, try calling Apple and asking politely if you qualify. I doubt getting angry or begging would help.

Also, if the Panther update CDs work like previous update CDs (10.0->10.1 and 10.1->10.2), you'll have to install the new version over the old version. However, it is possible to modify the CD's contents and burn a modified image to a CD, allowing for a clean or archive install. Through some google searching I found out how. Apple threatened some sites that had published it, though, so I am not going to post it here. If you would like to know, please send me an email, or just do a google search for "jaguar update CD full install" (don't include the quotes). There's at least one explanation on the first page of the search. But I will not link to anything directly otherwise they might get shut down!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

83caddy16v
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 09:45 AM

I bought a 15" Powerbook last night from the Apple store, $3000 bill with Apple Care but I dont' qualify for a free upgrade, yet a $2000 G5 does, go figure, oh well. its only $20.

bfurtado
Oct 10, 2003, 11:59 AM

I guess I don't qualify for the $20 Panther Upgrade but I can get it for $99CAN through an education discount. I guess that's no so bad. First, I need some RAM, MS Office, and then I can get Panther.

Brian

Mskr
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by 83caddy16v:
I bought a 15" Powerbook last night from the Apple store, $3000 bill with Apple Care but I dont' qualify for a free upgrade, yet a $2000 G5 does, go figure, oh well. its only $20.
Actually, I think you're mis-reading the terms & conditions. Everyone pays $20 if you have to use the up-to-date service. Everyone. MacNN is the one that put the "Free" in the description, not Apple. So, I think you don't need to be upset anymore...
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.

12" AlBook 867 (Combo drive) 640 MB/40 GB (work development machine) -- TiBook 400MHz/384MB/10GB (home machine)
CodeTek VirtualDesktop Pro: Power multitasking! -- DockExtender: Powerful, efficient launcher for Apps, Docs and everything else!

MacsGalor
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by schk:
OK, I wasn't sure if it was the full install and I want that option so I called Apple and asked, the first guy I talked to said "I think you need 10.2". So I transfered over to cancel my order, before I did I asked the new person one more time and she said very confidently "It is the FULL INSTALL" So I will keep my $20 up-to-date CD!

slimjw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 06:11 PM

Some of you guys posting remarks heckling new buyers for being steamed about having to pay for Panther are out of line and making some shaky analogies. Comparing an OS upgrade to buying a car and being mad knowing that the new model is coming out in 2 weeks? Um, No, that's a little off. First off because Apple doesn't always announce their new products before the release date and second because software is not a car and historically is subject to a different set of criteria expectations as far as upgrades or replacements are concerned

The analogy should be more like this:

You buy a copy of x software (sorry about the pun) version blah blah blah. 3 weeks later, the developer ships a new version and generally speaking, as long as you bought it withing a certain time frame, there's this wacky thing called a GRACE PERIOD, which, wait for it... is STANDARD PROTOCOL in the software industry these days. That way, if I bought a copy of Ableton Live 2 yesterday and they brought out the new version 3 today, I'm not S.O.L. Yes, I know you bought a PB with the OS already installed, but it's still the software that's at issue, not the hardware.

To make matters worse, Apple is differentiating between new PB and G5 owners too. Why should one group who spent $2-3000 on a new product within a similar timeframe not receive the same provisions for upgrade options? Because supposedly the G5 was "waiting" for the Panther upgrade anyway? Whatever. Both groups spent the same amount of money. You could even argue that a lot of new PB owners spent more, since PB prices in general are higher than the desktop line. Maybe that's a stretch, but either way it's confusing to Apple's customers and frankly, it's either a bad marketing decision or just plain cheap on their part.

If Apple really is in the business of selling hardware (and they are) then this should be a no-brainer. Why nickle & dime their newest customers when they could just set a reasonable date range for free upgrade eligibility like every other SW developer on the planet? - Jason
( Last edited by slimjw; Oct 10, 2003 at 06:25 PM. )

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 08:13 PM

Hey Slim,

I stand by my comments, which in no way means I have less respect for you posting yours.

In your post you state that:

"That way, if I bought a copy of Ableton Live 2 yesterday and they brought out the new version 3 today, I'm not S.O.L. Yes, I know you bought a PB with the OS already installed, but it's still the software that's at issue, not the hardware."

Apple IS giving a grace period. Panther isn't even out yet. Apple has stated that anyone who purchased their machine 16 days before the release of Panther will get it for the cost of shipping / packaging / etc.

...isn't that a grace period?

I stand by my comments. Some people are uneducated consumers, or impulse buyers, or whatever. That is fine. But you can't order the Steak, then complain that you didn't get the chicken. People knew Panther was coming. People could have waited to buy a machine. Some people chose to buy early. Me, I am waiting (I told myself I would wait until Mac World in January before I bought).

How far back should Apple extend the current grace period? A month? Two? Three? Four? This is business. My comment was simply that if people wanted to get freebee Panther, then they should have waited for it.

You want to see whining now, wait to see what would happen if Apple released a G5 Powerbook in January (not that it is going to happen). People would be cursing Apple for releasing the current 15" Al now, only to release the G5. Of course, if they don't release a G5 Powerbook people will be cursing them for NOT doing it.

Study these boards... complaining is constant. It is just the flavour of the month that changes.

I do COMPLETELY agree that there should be no special deals for the G5 tower people though, and I stated that in a previous post.

MacB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 09:40 PM

I ordered my 15" powerbook within a week after they were released. It shipped a week after that.....I called "Apple Up-To-Date", they asked for my products serial number and then took my credit card number....$19.95 + tax, free shipping to me the day of the release.....could not be simpler. I suggeest calling the number, saying you want the update for $19.95 and see what they say....

sorkinesque
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by Anemia:
I
The bottom line here people, is that you dont have to upgrade to 10.3, you WANT to upgrade.
That's not exactly accurate. Leaving aside the free will v determinism semantics, upgrading to 10.3 seems to be the only way my new powerbook has any hope of coming close to the battery life estimates Apple claimed.

I think the situation is similar to the G5s really, in order to fulfill the marketing claims made by Apple the machines need to be running 10.3

bfurtado
Oct 12, 2003, 11:20 AM

Guess What? After a few days of not recognizing my serial number and calling Apple, I tried again, on a wim, and it worked!

Brian

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 12:38 PM

The bigger Apple gets, the more like Microsoft they will get. It's all about money now guys....
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

bigben1024
Oct 13, 2003, 02:15 AM

Well, I'm glad to see the pesky life guard isn't posting any more. Sheesh, he/she reminds me of a little bratt who ratted me out in grade school. Or the bit chew got caught by the fuzz with a quarter and rolled over on my boy.

I have almost decided to go pb 15", but now I think I will wait a couple of weeks to save myself $20. Hey, I'm not cheap, I'm in college!

OT- I was going to buy a Hank Williams album (I Saw the Light) on my pc through music match. I think I'm getting a pb, but I was going to simply move them over as the album was only 9.99. Praise be to God that I read what I was getting when I started to set up my account... All the songs downloaded are in protected microsoft media format, whatever that means, not mp3. What's more, it says I can make only 5 cds with the same playlist. Let me do what I want with my purchased media.

itunes music store for me!

OH, the agony of waiting even ten days to buy my first pb!
I'm a computer science major in grad school, so I'm excited about all the developing tools we get for free. I know unix/linux better than dos, as we use the previous for all our assignments.
Also, panther comes already with everything I need to run linux/unix guis using my computer as a remote terminal!
Oh, and the imediate fix and run feature will make programming tollerable for the first time. Being able to see imediate results will make me grin.

How many of you program with your macs? I have seen how customizable the interface is! Much more so than windows, I feel.

ten points to the one who can tell me what the 1024 is for.
(hint... my major)
<fancy signature here>

Cop Rock
Oct 22, 2003, 10:25 AM

I got my shipment confirmation this morning for my OS X Up-To-Date order (PowerBook G4 ordered 9/18/3). It looked like I was only charged $19.95 instead of $19.95 + $4 shipping and +$tax.

Nessie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 10:58 AM

All I know is that I still can't get the $19.99 price... Serial number not found.. tried different dates, etc. Ordered my 12" PB on the 4th of October, received it on the 8th...

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Nessie:
All I know is that I still can't get the $19.99 price... Serial number not found.. tried different dates, etc. Ordered my 12" PB on the 4th of October, received it on the 8th...
Have you registered it with Apple?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Nessie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Have you registered it with Apple?
Yep, I've registered it.

gun_street_boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 09:44 AM

You know what? I bought a second hand Chrysler Neon for $7000. I got a car. I was happy with it and it gets me where I need to go. Last week, my parents bought a brand new $50,000 Chrysler Intrepid from the same dealer. You know what? They gave my parents a FREE keychain and brushed aluminum travel mug!!!!! Chrysler screwed me!!!!!! I bought a car, I want what everyone else gets. I WANT the keychain!!! I WANT the travel mug!! I WANT to make sure no one gets more than me!!!! I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!!!!!!
Who designed these
costumes? It looks like Edith Head puked, and that puke designed the costumes!
-David Mamet

iWrite
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 01:30 PM

Apple will do anything to squeeze money from their LOYAL customers, it seems.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Disgusting.

Reminds of "Free iTools for life" bullshit.

Nelsun
Oct 25, 2003, 12:46 PM

So have anyone of you who bought before the October 8 date and tried to get the Panther update and was accepted on the up to date site actually recieve the update?

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules