Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PISMO fan and 10.3.2

PISMO fan and 10.3.2
headbirth
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 09:09 AM

Anyone else noticing their PISMO fan never turning off? always a slight hummm coming from the PB ...

Should i try the fan fix that is currently out?

spotze23
Dec 25, 2003, 06:13 AM

hm. no. my pismo fan has never been on. even while working in cinema4d it never came on. these where the silent days. my new 15 fans everytime i launch an 3d-app.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 25, 2003, 05:49 PM

The fans in 400MHz Pismos never come on... in 500MHz ones, it's rare.

I assume it's not the fan you're hearing, but rather the hard drive -- Toshiba drives (as were very common in Pismos) tend to get noisy with age. It doesn't harm data, they just get loud.

tooki

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 10:46 AM

i heard the fan in my pismo400 for the first time ever 2 days ago...was pretty surprised.
(it's loud)

10.3.2, airport-enabled; was downloading from 2 apps, emailing, listening to music, etc.

whew!

but thrilled to be doing all that at once
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2003, 02:29 PM

mine came on when i used to run THPS2 in os9 on my lap for 2 hours straight... (2 hours?!!! now my battery is dead. i must use my Weight Saving cartridge.)
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 06:52 PM

I haven't noticed my fan coming on too much now that summer is over. I have a 900 mhz Pismo and the fan used to come on a lot when it was 90 - 100 degrees over summer. I bought an active USB cooler from antec over the summer and I'd turn it on every time I started ripping a DVD or doing CPU-intensive stuff. It seemed to help a bit, but now the weather is so cold all the time that I don't get to use it much.

Here's the notebook cooler that I bought: http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_deta...p?ProdID=75004
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules