Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How do you get songs to flow on ipod

How do you get songs to flow on ipod
athom108
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 08:47 PM

Some cds have songs that flow into one another but when you t/f them to ipod they have 1 sec breaks them. How you avoid that and keep the original flow going?

Dex13
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 08:58 PM

you can't unless you want to edit to edit all the songs into one big one �

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 09:06 PM

When you rip the CD, you select the tracks that are supposed to "flow" into each other and then you select "Join CD Tracks" from the Advanced menu. This will rip them into a single MP3/AAC track, which is what you want.

Chris

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 09:32 PM

Go into iTunes Preferences | Effects and uncheck Crossfade playback. If you are burning a CD, go into Burning and set the Gap between songs to be none. The settings should transfer to your iPod also.

It's been a while since I did that because of Dark Side of the Moon, so let me know if that doesn't work.

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Go into iTunes Preferences | Effects and uncheck Crossfade playback. If you are burning a CD, go into Burning and set the Gap between songs to be none. The settings should transfer to your iPod also.

It's been a while since I did that because of Dark Side of the Moon, so let me know if that doesn't work.
Nope...there's still a tiny, very very VERY annoying gap between songs. The only way to get rid of it is to do what chab said. That gets a big if you like to listen to albums as a whole.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by saranwarp:
Nope...there's still a tiny, very very VERY annoying gap between songs. The only way to get rid of it is to do what chab said. That gets a big if you like to listen to albums as a whole.
Hmm, I just took out my iPod 3G 15 GB and played from Pink Floyd's DSotM the songs "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse" then tried a few other songs. The "gap" is just like in iTunes but seems to be more from the app/machine loading the next song in than any forced delay.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 12:40 AM

That's why you have to use the "Join Tracks" option. If you like to listen to the album as a whole, there really is no downside to it. The only possible downside is if you want to listen to the songs individually.

Chris

Dimitri
Apr 20, 2004, 01:50 AM

This is inherent in compressed songs. Until the ipod firmware is capable of using crossfading techniques to eliminate these slight gaps (which I doubt will ever happen), the one track option is the ONLY option.

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
That's why you have to use the "Join Tracks" option. If you like to listen to the album as a whole, there really is no downside to it. The only possible downside is if you want to listen to the songs individually.

Chris
I read somewhere that there is an additional small downside in that (if I remember correctly) it takes a bit more battery power to deal with all those large files. I could be wrong, though.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 09:04 AM

it takes a bit more battery power to deal with all those large files.
You could be right, though. I too, vaguely remember something about the ipod and large files. But I think this was a few firmware revisions ago. Hopefully it's been fixed. I just don't remember the details.

Chris

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 05:46 PM

There's also the downside that if the joined tracks are larger than the iPod's memory buffer, you will get a skip when it reloads the buffer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules