Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.5, Features? When?

10.3.5, Features? When?
pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2004, 04:44 PM

Will 10.3.5 be (merely) a maintenance release or may we expect some new features, such as an update to Safari? Or, is it that them what knows ain't talkin, and I must drink hemlock for even askin?

Really, I am not suggesting that one violate their NDA, just what do you suppose is on the horizon and when do you think 10.3.5 will be released.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 04:52 PM

It's pretty much known already that one update to Safari is in the pipeline for Panther (Safari 1.3) but no idea if it will be rolled into a Mac OS X update or released independtly.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2004, 04:53 PM

Will there even be a 10.3.5? So far there's no evidence of such a thing being in the works.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Will there even be a 10.3.5? So far there's no evidence of such a thing being in the works.
Huh?

There has already been a one seed given to select developers, and many rumor sites mention it all the time. The most recently is AI today in regards to the Liquid-cooled G5's at WWDC that were running a build of 10.3.5...some say it's going to be the most "impressive/significant" update thus far for Panther...

mikemako
Senior User
Jul 8, 2004, 05:20 PM

man, I hate how I can't be moving the mouse as I log out of a user or it'll cause the mouse to freeze, requiring a restart. It started happening in 10.3.2 I think. I wish they'd fix that. I was hoping maybe 10.3.3, then 10.3.4, but not luck. Maybe 10.3.5!
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2004, 05:49 PM

I've only heard of it showing up on new liquid-cooled G5s. If that's the case, then 10.3.5 could very well be like 10.2.7, meaning it will only ship with new machines and never be released to the rest of us.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 06:32 PM

10.3.5 was released to select developers today.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I've only heard of it showing up on new liquid-cooled G5s. If that's the case, then 10.3.5 could very well be like 10.2.7, meaning it will only ship with new machines and never be released to the rest of us.
Nope, I can remember hearing about 10.3.5 some time ago. It's coming for every machine that currently has Panther on it. And it's gonna be much more than a maintenance release

Joe Cool
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 06:54 PM

The Dual 2.5ghz G5s come with 10.3.5.... No idea whats new

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 07:29 PM

I heard it's Snappier®
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
I heard it's Snappier®
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
I heard it's Snappier®
I heard they're emphasizing the Crackle� and Pop� instead this time.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 09:30 PM

Maybe we can finally get a network browser that works the way it should...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 09:32 PM

Network browser works for me.
I work at a large company that has offices all over the place. I see all the hosts just fine.

Hmmm....

What I want is finder FTP integration that Sucks Less®
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 08:08 AM

My 10.3.5 wishlist:
  • Please fix JavaScriptCore so I can actually browse the web with JavaScript enabled. Anymore Safari is all but useless for browsing eBay. Sites like IGN are a cruel joke for Safari users.
  • Fix Finder's problems with network shares. When bringing up a directory list for Samba or netatalk shares Finder likes to crash and restart. When transfering to netatalk shares the progress bar and dialog close way before the transfer is really completed. Finder doesn't connect to an NFS server via reserved ports so all exports need to be flagged insecure in orderto be mountable by Finder. It is possible to use reserved ports when mounting NFS shares via automount at boot but not from Finder.
  • Disk Utility needs buffer underrun protection when burning discs. I've got two DVD-R coasters because of DU's problems. Toast works fine and has good BUP but Disk Utility ought to have it as well.
  • Support for more cell phones that don't have Bluetooth. A huge percent of all wired links for cell phones use the same small handful of USB-Serial controller. It doesn't seem too difficult to include drivers for these and have a couple of updates iSync conduits. A lot of phones that are capable of being hooked to a computer don't have Bluetooth. Right now iSync ignores these phones which sucks for their owners.
  • Fix the shadow bug on the Desktop. It is really annoying sometimes.
  • Please remove Debug Code and click the "Optimize" button when compiling.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
My 10.3.5 wishlist:
[*] Fix the shadow bug on the Desktop. It is really annoying sometimes.
Amen.

And it's annoying all the damn time...

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 08:41 AM

My 10.3.5 wishlist:
  • Please fix JavaScriptCore so I can actually browse the web with JavaScript enabled. Anymore Safari is all but useless for browsing eBay. Sites like IGN are a cruel joke for Safari users.
That's fixed in Safari 1.3 - I don't know if it will be included in 10.3.5 or released separately.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 10:50 AM

A fix for random freezes would be most welcome, as this is starting to aggravate me now.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 11:21 AM

[B][*] Support for more cell phones that don't have Bluetooth. A huge percent of all wired links for cell phones use the same small handful of USB-Serial controller. It doesn't seem too difficult to include drivers for these and have a couple of updates iSync conduits. A lot of phones that are capable of being hooked to a computer don't have Bluetooth. Right now iSync ignores these phones which sucks for their owners.[*] Fix the shadow bug on the Desktop. It is really annoying sometimes.
you don't just have to support the cable you have to know how to talk to the phone itself. Plus theres no point BT is in any new decent phone. No point supporting such an outdated device when cellphones are one of the most disposable things going.

they should fix that dumb shadow bug thats been there from the start and fix the damn icon spacing its horrific oh and the ability to set global finder window options and have them used for every new window and spring loaded ones.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
you don't just have to support the cable you have to know how to talk to the phone itself. Plus theres no point BT is in any new decent phone. No point supporting such an outdated device when cellphones are one of the most disposable things going.
Outdated? My 1-year-old phone doesn't have BT, but it does have a USB cable (and OS X supports it). Not everyone feels like paying a premium for wireless synchronization when it's not such a huge deal to plug in a cable every now and then.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Makki
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 03:27 PM

http://www3.sympatico.ca/ilife/saf13.jpg
[Inline images MUST be no wider than 480 pixels --tooki]

This ones for the skeptics out there
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 12, 2004 at 01:20 PM. )

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 05:11 PM

they should fix that dumb shadow bug thats been there from the start and fix the damn icon spacing its horrific oh and the ability to set global finder window options and have them used for every new window and spring loaded ones.
A lot of new phones have calendars and whatnot and do not support Bluetooth. I'm talking about Nokia here. I hate Nokia phones but it IS an important market.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 06:04 PM

You do have to support the cable in order to support the phone. The USB adapter cables for phones are just USB-serial converters. I have a DCU-11 which is just a cable based around the PL2303 chip from Prolific. This chip is used quite a bit in USB-serial converts and I'd love for Apple to support it out of the box. It would save a lot of hassle for people with old serial-based Palms who want to use iSync.

Many if not most newer phones support OBEX (OBject EXchange) via Bluetooth, IrDA, or serial. While some new phones have Bluetooth there's plenty of phones that support SyncML and OBEX that don't have Bluetooth. It'd be nice for Apple to provide some support for people with non-Bluetooth phones in iSync. Not everyone wants to spend $200+ on a shiny new Bluetooth-capable phone when their current one works fine. Don't bother telling me people can get phones for free, a two year cell phone contract in order to get a subsidized phone does not equal free.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 06:09 PM

<SNIP>[*] Fix Finder's problems with network shares. When bringing up a directory list for Samba or netatalk shares Finder likes to crash and restart. When transfering to netatalk shares the progress bar and dialog close way before the transfer is really completed. <SNIP>
Which version of netatalk are you using? We run a bunch of Slackware machines with netatalk v1.6.4 on them and I'm not aware of having seen those problems. I work in the IT Support dept so I think I would have come across this before if it were a widespread problem.

One thing I have noticed though, is that the file/folder permissions on those servers sometimes go screwy if I click "Apply to enclosed items" button in the "Get info" window. Not sure why it happens and it's only intermittent.

On the whole though, I agree network access needs to be cleaned up a wee bit.

[Edit: Damn UBB code!]
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jul 9, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Makki:
Dude, you are so behind the times.

I have a super inside source.

http://homepage.mac.com/coolmacguy/safaripre.jpg
[Inline images MUST be no wider than 480 pixels -- tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 12, 2004 at 01:23 PM. )
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
Which version of netatalk are you using? We run a bunch of Slackware machines with netatalk v1.6.4 on them and I'm not aware of having seen those problems. I work in the IT Support dept so I think I would have come across this before if it were a widespread problem.

One thing I have noticed though, is that the file/folder permissions on those servers sometimes go screwy if I click "Apply to enclosed items" button in the "Get info" window. Not sure why it happens and it's only intermittent.

On the whole though, I agree network access needs to be cleaned up a wee bit.

[Edit: Damn UBB code!]
I'm running v1.5.5 which I know is a bit old anymore. I'm running it on a Linux system running FC1 Test 3.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 09:41 PM

I'm running v1.5.5 which I know is a bit old anymore. I'm running it on a Linux system running FC1 Test 3.
Well, the obvious answer is to try upgrading to v1.6.4 however, we had some fairly major problems doing that as it appears the way case-sensitivity is handled got changed somewhere between 1.5.x and 1.6.x. Just a word of warning. If you can cope with the spurious crashes and so on, stick with 1.5 until v2.0 comes out although I don't know when that'll be.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2004, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Makki:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ilife/saf13.jpg

why'd you make that fake image?

[DO NOT quote big inline images!! They significantly distort the layout, making reading harder. --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 12, 2004 at 01:25 PM. )

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2004, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
Well, the obvious answer is to try upgrading to v1.6.4 however, we had some fairly major problems doing that as it appears the way case-sensitivity is handled got changed somewhere between 1.5.x and 1.6.x. Just a word of warning. If you can cope with the spurious crashes and so on, stick with 1.5 until v2.0 comes out although I don't know when that'll be.
Now that I've figured out Finder's problems with mounting NFS shares I've switched to using NFS instead of netatalk for sharing. NFS doesn't support resource forks in the same way netatalk does but it is workable enough for me to use as my personal server. The NFS share isn't giving Finder the same crashing problem that Samba and netatalk were for whatever reason. I'm working on isolating the cause so I can give a good bug report to Apple.

Makki
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2004, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
why'd you make that fake image?
Excuse me man i am not in business of make fake image thnx i do have a life thnx you.
Tis an older build then current but certainly not fake oyvey.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2004, 04:33 PM

Makki did not make that fake image. He got Safari from a reliable source.

Yes, your looking at him. wait......... damnit. nevermind.

Apple Legal decided to swing the hammer over me and I now serve 200years behind bars. I don't have access to a computer and wont have for atleast 170years. j/k

Am I lying? Maybe.

Btw makki, you are quick in learning Danish. Tis=pee
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Outdated? My 1-year-old phone doesn't have BT, but it does have a USB cable (and OS X supports it). Not everyone feels like paying a premium for wireless synchronization when it's not such a huge deal to plug in a cable every now and then.
I'm sure they'll be a phone released in a year which doesn't have it but the fact is thats probably a kids or a low end consumer phone.

scoot
Jul 11, 2004, 11:51 PM

Or most of the phones available in the US from cellular providers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules