Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Kerry's wife tells hurricane victims to "go naked"

Kerry's wife tells hurricane victims to "go naked"
coolmacdude
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 11:25 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ry_1&printer=1

Teresa Heinz Kerry, encouraging volunteers as they busily packed supplies Wednesday for hurricane relief efforts in the Caribbean, said she was concerned the effort was too focused on sending clothes instead of essentials like water and electric generators.

"Clothing is wonderful, but let them go naked for a while, at least the kids," said Heinz Kerry, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry
Ok, this seems a little wacked to me. Maybe having water is more important than clothes, but telling people they should go naked? At least the kids??
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 11:27 PM

Who let that old bat outta the closet. It's been nice not hearing her for the past few weeks, but I guess John decided to let her out early and look at what she does. If the Kerry campaign wants to have any chance of winning they better have 10 guards with ether rags in hand incase she tries to get near a microphone.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 11:31 PM

I think it's kind of funny. I'm sure she didn't mean it in a harmful way; she was probably trying to suggest that other priorities need attention. When she was a small child, it probably wasn't uncommon to see little kids running around naked. It wasn't common in my house, but it was no big deal either. But of course, we're an uptight society, so the reaction is predictable.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 11:35 PM

Have another one Teresa.

AND THEN LET THEM EAT CAKE!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 11:39 PM

Jeebus. Look, let's list the essentials, in order. For the reading impaired:

1. Air. (this is in plentiful supply throughout the Carribean)
2. Water.
3. Food.
4. Clothing <-- in its proper place.

The extreme effort of the Conswervos to take anything out of context just smacks of desperation. Are ya'll getting nervous?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 11:41 PM

1. My post was a joke.
2. Getting nervous? Have you seen the latest polls?

coolmacdude  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
The extreme effort of the Conswervos to take anything out of context just smacks of desperation. Are ya'll getting nervous?
For the record, I don't support Bush or Kerry. (will probably vote for the Constitution or Libertarian Candidate)

I just found this a little strange and wanted to see what other's thought of it.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
AND THEN LET THEM EAT CAKE!
That was my first thought as well.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Of course they are nowhere near the same.. I was just being humorous.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 11:49 PM

Of course they are nowhere near the same.. I was just being humorous.
Of course. It was just the phrase "let them go naked" that triggered the thought for me.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 11:54 PM

Of course. It was just the phrase "let them go naked" that triggered the thought for me.
Probably the same here.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 12:14 AM

<Izzard> Cake or death? </Izzard>

LoganCharles
Banned
Sep 17, 2004, 12:38 AM

Heinz-Kerry is Addams Family weird.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 17, 2004, 12:41 AM

Naw but it does sound like what someone would say under the influence.

Not that I am condemning her. She isn't the one running for President. I'd be having fun if I was her too.

It's not going to last.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
For the record, I don't support Bush or Kerry. (will probably vote for the Constitution or Libertarian Candidate)

I just found this a little strange and wanted to see what other's thought of it.
It's an odd way to express a valid sentiment. The idea, "Food and water first." Sadly, she seems to have foot in the mouth disease.

I like it.

It makes her just odd enough to be human. As a fellow involuntary diner of one's own toe jam, so to speak , I can empathize.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 17, 2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
<Izzard> Cake or death? </Izzard>
yes, death please. no no, i meant cake!

Cohiba
Sep 17, 2004, 06:10 AM

Quick question, a libertarian, or a constitutionalist? That is quite a bi-polar decision there.

I just found that comment interesting. If you do not mind, could you give your reasoning behind it? I am actually intrigued on how someone could swing either way on those two parties.

Appreciate it.

P.S. On topic, indeed Mrs. Kerry�s comment was strange, but the meaning has good, well I guess, meaning. Food and stuffs is more important then clothes. But the naked children part was kind of unnecessary. I mean, children wearing tattered clothes is a option too, out right nakedness, is well, a bit overboard.

Now also keep in mind, it is September, living close to the ocean it may get cold so then clothes (especially dry ones) could be a requirement, more when night hits. Not sure however, as I am untuned to the current temperature in that section of the world.
( Last edited by Cohiba; Sep 17, 2004 at 07:16 AM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 07:29 AM

Jeebus. Look, let's list the essentials, in order. For the reading impaired:

1. Air. (this is in plentiful supply throughout the Carribean)
2. Water.
3. Food.
4. Clothing <-- in its proper place.
I don't know if that's really the proper place.

When it comes to survival, there's a thing sometimes called the "rule of three" which gives approximate survival times under given conditions. A person can generally live for approximately three weeks without food, three days without water, three hours without shelter or clothing, or three minutes without air.

Not having at least basic clothing in extreme conditions is going to kill you pretty quickly, and although Ivan has passed the weather conditions there are still rather extreme. Should clothing really be put into fourth place, considering that?
What's a "conswervo"?

Anyway, the comment in question here is awfully reminiscent of Marie Antoinette's infamous "let them eat cake". It is sometimes said in Marie Antoinette's defense that she didn't understand the plight of the poor, and said that more or less in innocence. Perhaps that is true here as well. Either way, it doesn't speak well of her.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 07:30 AM

Constitution or Libertarian?

Um, you might want to read up on both parties there. I mean no insult, but these two parties are almost as opposite as one can possibly get, so I'm pretty sure that at least one of them can't possibly cater to your tastes as much as this statement would imply.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I don't know if that's really the proper place.

When it comes to survival, there's a thing sometimes called the "rule of three" which gives approximate survival times under given conditions. A person can generally live for approximately three weeks without food, three days without water, three hours without shelter or clothing, or three minutes without air.

Not having at least basic clothing in extreme conditions is going to kill you pretty quickly, and although Ivan has passed the weather conditions there are still rather extreme. Should clothing really be put into fourth place, considering that?

It's the Carribean. Low's in the 70s highs in the 80s. Clothing is down the list. Take it from someone who's been there.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2004, 08:18 AM

Mine too but then chrisv is right. Priorities. Don't clothe anyone before you can give them food + shelter esp. if clothing the poor people will diminish the possible food/shelter assistance they can get.

Much ado about nothing but kinda funny.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 09:39 AM

It's the Carribean. Low's in the 70s highs in the 80s. Clothing is down the list. Take it from someone who's been there.
I'd agree with you, if it weren't only the beginning of hurricane season. More storms are coming, and quite soon at that; Jeanne, for example. You speak as if they're out of the proverbial woods yet; they're not.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 09:43 AM

And people want this woman as first lady? Sorry but I'll take Laura Bush over Teresa as first lady ANY Day.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 10:04 AM

Too much for you, Heinz, too much for you.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
<snip>

Too much for you, Heinz, too much for you.
If stupid comments from politicians are a result of intoxication, George Bush can't be totally sober, eh
( Last edited by Busemann; Sep 17, 2004 at 10:33 AM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Mine too but then chrisv is right. Priorities. Don't clothe anyone before you can give them food + shelter esp. if clothing the poor people will diminish the possible food/shelter assistance they can get.

Much ado about nothing but kinda funny.
Without question. It's just that the way she phrased it wasn't very sensitive. Could have said "Perhaps we should be putting higher priorities on food and shelter than on clothing" rather than "let them go naked"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2004, 10:40 AM

Actually, she was suggesting that people were donating too much clothing.

coolmacdude  (op)
Senior User
Sep 17, 2004, 12:01 PM

Constitution or Libertarian?

Um, you might want to read up on both parties there. I mean no insult, but these two parties are almost as opposite as one can possibly get, so I'm pretty sure that at least one of them can't possibly cater to your tastes as much as this statement would imply.
Yeah I should have stated that better.

What I meant to say was, there is no way in hell that I will be voting for either bush or kerry. I will vote for some third party. I haven't done a significant amount of research on exactly what the various third parties' positions are yet (mainly because I've never voted third party before).

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 17, 2004, 12:08 PM

Oh come ON people, she wants kids naked.

It's OBVIOUS that she is a pedophile.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 12:22 PM

Anyway, the comment in question here is awfully reminiscent of Marie Antoinette's infamous "let them eat cake". It is sometimes said in Marie Antoinette's defense that she didn't understand the plight of the poor, and said that more or less in innocence. Perhaps that is true here as well. Either way, it doesn't speak well of her.
I guess we can blame the soundbyte culture for making us all forget historical context.

Antoinette's quote was in response to the plea to feed the poor because they had no bread. In other words, no sympathy for their plight--not even a rudimentary understanding of the problem.

Heinz-Kerry's comment is nothing of the kind. She wasn't dismissing the need for clothes, she was suggesting that food/water should be shipped first.

If she had said, "don't send clothes, the little pickaninnies don't need them", it might be analogous. Or perhaps if she had said, "then let them wear Gucci".
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

LoganCharles
Banned
Sep 17, 2004, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Heinz-Kerry's comment is nothing of the kind. She wasn't dismissing the need for clothes, she was suggesting that food/water should be shipped first.

If she had said, "don't send clothes, the little pickaninnies don't need them", it might be analogous. Or perhaps if she had said, "then let them wear Gucci".
"Let them go naked" sounds like she's dismissing it. Whether that's what she meant or otherwise. She's an oddball who is too vocal for my tastes. If she really were on her husbands side she would keep her sound bites at a more innocuous level. Much like Hillary I get the vibe that she married soley for Power.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by LoganCharles:
"Let them go naked" sounds like she's dismissing it. Whether that's what she meant or otherwise. She's an oddball who is too vocal for my tastes. If she really were on her husbands side she would keep her sound bites at a more innocuous level. Much like Hillary I get the vibe that she married soley for Power.
Why do Americans always want Mrs. Cleaver for First Lady?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 12:56 PM

Oh come ON people, she wants kids naked.

It's OBVIOUS that she is a pedophile.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Why do Americans always want Mrs. Cleaver for First Lady?
Because they want to go back to that magical fairyland time, even though it wasn't so. Nostalgic memory is very selective.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 17, 2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Because they want to go back to that magical fairyland time, even though it wasn't so. Nostalgic memory is very selective.
BZZZZZT

Some people are that way. Some people don't have the need to be obnoxious.

Teresa reminds me of "Drunk girl" on SNL.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 01:12 PM

She was teh hot back in my Dad's day, that's for sure. Who WOULDN'T want to see her as 1st Lady compared to this:

Maury

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
yes, death please. no no, i meant cake!
I was gonna say that. tsk.

*sulk*

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 01:45 PM

Kinda funny that this woman is the embodiment of what the left would have us believe that republicans are. A mega-wealthy, mega-elitist, out of touch, pompous windbag.

Just like her husband.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by smacintush:
Kinda funny that this woman is the embodiment of what the left would have us believe that republicans are. A mega-wealthy, mega-elitist, out of touch, pompous windbag.

Just like her husband.
Or, like this guy.

The Reverend Jim Wallis, leader of Call to Renewal, a network of churches that fight poverty, told the New York Times that shortly after his election, Bush had said to him, "I don't understand how poor people think," and had described himself as a "white Republican guy who doesn't get it, but I'd like to."

I'm sure he's figuret it out by now.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 17, 2004, 02:10 PM

Karl you do realize a lot of people that are "poor" choose to be that way right? They are happy not having lots of money.

We have two brothers around here that dress JUST a like. We call them Pete and Repeat. They follow each other and walk everywhere. They look like bums. They have no house, car etc but have tons of money from an inheritance.

What Bush is saying is, he doesn't understand why someone like that would want to live their life like that.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 17, 2004, 03:17 PM

I prefer Theresa making loony statements (something everybody is used to already), as opposed to her shedding all of her clothes. Ugh !

LoganCharles
Banned
Sep 17, 2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Huh?

Heinz-Kerry sounds like some wicked step mother.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 06:03 PM

"Clothing is wonderful, but let them go naked for a while, at least the kids," said Heinz Kerry, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry,"Water is necessary, and then generators, and then food, and then clothes."
That's the quote with the part you left out in bold.

Its not a looney statement. Its a very sensible and pragmatic statement.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 17, 2004, 06:47 PM

I think Bush and his ob/gyn agreed with her.

Have you ever unloaded a relief truck at at a disaster site. People send the weirdest things.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by smacintush:

Just like her husband.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 08:16 PM

Priorities:
1. Water
2. Clothes
3. Food

[Air is always there]

If we let those kid run round naked, think of how many pedophiles will be en route to Florida for a few weeks! Think of the children!

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 17, 2004, 11:12 PM

HAHAHA

Look at MINDFADS Picture !

HAHAHA

OWNED ! ! !

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
HAHAHA

HAHAHA

OWNED ! ! !

Seen those before�

Damn it is sooo slooow tonight.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
HAHAHA

HAHAHA

OWNED ! ! !

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 17, 2004, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Seen those before�

Damn it is sooo slooow tonight.
Nah, It's been altered after he "borrowed" it.

He even posted it once more, LOL.....

MB you people need to clear your caches or something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules