Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook w/External Display or 20" Imac For Office

Powerbook w/External Display or 20" Imac For Office
gostan
Jun 21, 2005, 07:30 AM

We are updating our office server and software which will now allow me to dump my PC anduse a Mac at the office. I can either: (i) purchase a new 20" Imac for my office desktop or (ii) purchase a 20" external display or other manufacturer display to be used with my 15" Powerbook. The latter would save a little bit of money, but I would have to carry my PB to work every day. The Imac would make things a lot easier, but I am not enamored with a white computer on my desk at the office. I am not sure if I really need a G5 for my office work. Will the PB w/external display respond as fast as the PB w/o external display? What would you do? I cannot wait to make this change as I am so tired of looking at windows lousy desktop!!
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 08:58 AM

I would go iMac G5.

doucy2
Senior User
Jun 21, 2005, 09:28 AM

i would def go with the iMac g5

gostan  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 10:58 AM

OK: you think the Imac G5 is the way to go. Yes a desktop will be easier to use, but it will cost $1,000 more than going with a 20" external monitor w/PB. I will probably increase the life expectancy of my PB. I assume that Tiger will run smoother and some everyday functions may be faster, but will I even notice the difference between running the Imac and the PowerBook on an everyday basis for office tasks, internet, etc and no heavy graphics useage.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 12:33 PM

are you planning on using your own powerbook to accompany the display? i for one think using a personal computer as a work computer is a terrible idea unless it's your own business. Get the 20" iMac and call it a day...it's a terrific computer and trust me...you wont notice the white after the first initial days.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
are you planning on using your own powerbook to accompany the display? i for one think using a personal computer as a work computer is a terrible idea unless it's your own business. Get the 20" iMac and call it a day...it's a terrific computer and trust me...you wont notice the white after the first initial days.
I personally find two computers to be very frustrating -- is the key file at the office or on my laptop?

If the separation is clean -- you will not do work at home -- then go for the iMac.

If you are going to do ANY significant amount of work at home, go with the PB plus external HD solution (I keep a regular clone of my PB hard drive here in my office in case I lose the PB).

For most office work, the PB is more than enough horsepower.

gostan  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 04:21 PM

80% of my work is at the office with 20% at home and I do have a financial interest in the business.

I just returned from a trip to CompUsa where I viewed the 20" Imac and the 20" and 23" Apple Cinema displays and a HP 24" display (2402? I think). The Imac appears to be a wonderful engineering marvel, but it is god - awful ugly. I am not sure that I could get used to viewing it all day on my desktop. I am close to deciding on adding an external 20 or 23 inch cinema display to my PowerBook. I have read about some issues with the 23" cinema displays. Have these been taken care of? Because the 23" will be more future proof than the 20". I can always get an upgraded Mac Mini or even a good deal on a Power Mac at a future date. I am waiting for feedback from our office computer consultant as to any security issues with the PB going out of the office.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2005, 07:04 PM

The Dell 24" monitors have also been getting rave reviews.

klamyfeat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2005, 07:37 PM

gostan,

Recently, I had the same questions about getting a 20" iMac or going with a PB/external monitor setup. I chose the PB/external monitor setup because I liked the idea of having everything I would need to work on with me at all times. I thought the 20" iMac was beautiful and I loved the idea of having a dedicated G5 desktop at home but I really did need the PB mobility and a single G5 isn't very much quicker than a G4 on most applications.

It's been a few weeks now and I really love my setup. I can bring my 12" PB to the lab easily everyday and at home, plug in my 20" ACD and enjoy all the screen space I could ever need. If you already have a 15" PB, I would recommend getting an external monitor and calling it a day.

As a side note, I keep wondering why people insist on 'perserving' their laptop by not using it! If you're concerned about longevity, get Apple Care (like I did) which gives you 3 yrs piece of mind. After 3yrs+, don't most people (especially Mac fanatics) want to upgrade?

gostan  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by klamyfeat
gostan,

Recently, I had the same questions about getting a 20" iMac or going with a PB/external monitor setup. I chose the PB/external monitor setup because I liked the idea of having everything I would need to work on with me at all times. I thought the 20" iMac was beautiful and I loved the idea of having a dedicated G5 desktop at home but I really did need the PB mobility and a single G5 isn't very much quicker than a G4 on most applications.

It's been a few weeks now and I really love my setup. I can bring my 12" PB to the lab easily everyday and at home, plug in my 20" ACD and enjoy all the screen space I could ever need. If you already have a 15" PB, I would recommend getting an external monitor and calling it a day.

As a side note, I keep wondering why people insist on 'perserving' their laptop by not using it! If you're concerned about longevity, get Apple Care (like I did) which gives you 3 yrs piece of mind. After 3yrs+, don't most people (especially Mac fanatics) want to upgrade?
Good Points:
I like the idea of having all of my info on one computer and I do have applecare. Did you purchase the 20" apple cinema display? I am torn between the 20 and 23 apple displays.
Thanks

klamyfeat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2005, 08:55 PM

gostan,

I splurged and picked up the 20" ACD. I'm sure Dell et al. are just as good if not better in terms of refresh rate and definitely value but I wanted to go full bore with Apple, hence the ACD.

The 20" ACD is fantastically bright (I keep mine at 2/3rds of max brightness) but I haven't directly compared one display to another. My supervisor is getting the 23" and it is quite a bit bigger (larger than 3" sounds) than my 20" but I'm very happy with the 20" at $899 CAD (ouch, that's still a lot!).

Get the 23" if you have no financial restraints. If you're feeling the 23" isn't the best value but you still could easily afford the 23", get the 20" and you'll be happy. You'll have a big, beautiful display and you'll feel content that you didn't waste ALL of your money needlessly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules