Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport malfunctions

Airport malfunctions
JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 09:46 AM

My iBook hangs on web pages intermittently but the airport icon in the top right stays solid like it's still connected. This happens regardless of browser (Safari, Firefox and Camino). I'll click on a link and either the page will load slowly, hanging while it loads but eventually loading, or it will completely hang up and the browser will give a "Not connected to the internet" message.

I'm using an original Airport card in an 800MHz G3 iBook with a current Tiger install. It's got all the Airport updates. I reloaded Tiger about 3 or 4 months ago after swapping hard drives. I didn't have this problem at first but it's gotten progressively worse to the point that about 50% of the time a page won't load.

I don't have access to another Airport card so I was wondering if there was anything I can do to troubleshoot this. Also, I have two other laptops that can connect fine wirelessly, one running Kubuntu and another with XP so I don't think it's a router issue since I haven't had a problem before. The access point is a D-Link wireless router BTW.

Thanks.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2006, 10:57 AM

What have you done to make sure your router isn't an issue? And it could easily be a problem with your ISP or your modem as well. Next time this happens, restart the modem-turn it off for two minutes (time it!) and then turn it back on and give the router enough time to reconnect. If that fixes it, you're done. If not, restart the router-same procedure-and see if that helps.

You MUST rule out the other devices before you start worrying about your Mac's hardware failing. If you don't you can wallow around in looking at the problem from the wrong direction forever and never actually find it.

One more thing to note is that all broadband routers (DSL and cable) are microcomputers, as are all routers. They are embedded systems and not always running well-tested code; they frequently experience memory leaks and deadlock issues that would be found and fixed in user programs before they were released. The best way to deal with problems with these boxes is to always restart them if they even look like they are causing an issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 02:08 PM

I've restarted both the router and the modem and the problem persists. I've confidently ruled them out as culprits.

Also, if I'm on another laptop while my wife uses the iBook, the iBook's connection will lock up while the other notebook continues to stay connected with no performance issues. This tells me that it definitely has to be iBook specific since my other two laptops can connect while the iBook coughs and sputters.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2006, 04:33 PM

Aside from making sure the card is seated properly and its antenna cable is too, I can't think of anything more to do. Any Apple stores in the Memphis area? This sounds like a Genius Bar issue to me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2006, 12:55 PM

I've been having some airport problems with my 17" 1ghz PB. Things are just REALLY slow. For instance I'll request a webpage, it will take a few seconds before any data is sent, and then it sits 0B/s and some data is transferred every few seconds. Everything used to be nice and fast. I have ruled out the router because it happens at both my home and work wireless connections which are totally different ISPs and routers.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Aside from making sure the card is seated properly and its antenna cable is too, I can't think of anything more to do. Any Apple stores in the Memphis area? This sounds like a Genius Bar issue to me.
I forgot to mention it above but reseating the card and cable was the first thing I tried. I've done it multiple times. And yes, there's an Apple store in Memphis so I'll bring it in there when I'm on that side of town. I might try to use an earlier airport driver and see if that helps any before I make the trip since it worked fine with Panther and with earlier Tiger versions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules