Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > glossy screen or not

glossy screen or not
outthere
Nov 10, 2006, 02:41 AM

hi guys,
my MBP 15' C2D just arrived, it's supposed to have a glossy screen, but is there any way to make sure it really does ? i can't find anything on my laptop that says that my display is a glossy one.
thanks
un jour,

wancothesane
Nov 10, 2006, 02:52 AM

if you can see your reflection in it like a mirror, it's a glossy screen.

outthere  (op)
Nov 10, 2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by wancothesane View Post
if you can see your reflection in it like a mirror, it's a glossy screen.
thanks, but is there any way beside that? because mine looks like a matte screen, i now wonder if apple sent me the wrong stuff, i would be mad then
un jour,

bradbowl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 03:41 AM

The different is pretty big. If it's not shiny and reflective then it's the matte screen. It would stink that Apple sent you the wrong screen type.
E-Bay ID: bradbowl
Heatware ID: bradbowl

outthere  (op)
Nov 10, 2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
The different is pretty big. If it's not shiny and reflective then it's the matte screen. It would stink that Apple sent you the wrong screen type.
cry out loud, but you're probably right,
and one more thing,
i 've come to notice that my screen is kind of grainy too, especially with the white background. damn it, this is my very first mac.
anyway, i guess it's time to make a apple store visit.
you guys have any advice on this kind of issue, it's not over 14 day period yet, and should i send my laptop back or just bring it to the apple store and ask for an exchange?
un jour,

gostan
Nov 10, 2006, 12:51 PM

You should get what you paid for. But, if you purchased it online from Apple and not at the Apple Store, I am not sure that a local Apple retail store will exchange it.

By the way, why did you choose the glossy screen? I really dislike it!
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

outthere  (op)
Nov 10, 2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by gostan View Post
You should get what you paid for. But, if you purchased it online from Apple and not at the Apple Store, I am not sure that a local Apple retail store will exchange it.

By the way, why did you choose the glossy screen? I really dislike it!
yup, im thinking about getting a refund and order another one, or should i exchange it for the right one, i dont know which way would be faster.
well, just like those who choose to go with glossy, i was impressed by the their colors, besides im not doing graphic stuff or spending much time using my laptop outside, so i guess glossy will work for me, but....
un jour,

Cold Warrior
Nov 10, 2006, 02:18 PM

I have the glossy screen on my C2D and am pleased with it. However I had seen them before and was able to make an informed choice based off what I'd seen and my normal computing needs and environment.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by outthere View Post
yup, im thinking about getting a refund and order another one, or should i exchange it for the right one, i dont know which way would be faster.
well, just like those who choose to go with glossy, i was impressed by the their colors, besides im not doing graphic stuff or spending much time using my laptop outside, so i guess glossy will work for me, but....
If you're going to take it to an Apple Retail store, check out the difference between the matte/glossy while you're there. If it's not what you ordered get a refund and order another one. There really is nothing on the computer that will tell you it's a glossy screen, except for the glossiness of the screen, it's a noticable difference.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

outthere  (op)
Nov 11, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MrN79 View Post
If you're going to take it to an Apple Retail store, check out the difference between the matte/glossy while you're there. If it's not what you ordered get a refund and order another one. There really is nothing on the computer that will tell you it's a glossy screen, except for the glossiness of the screen, it's a noticable difference.
thanks,
i now know that mine is glossy, i've also gone to the apple store and checked out all the display ones there; they all have the same problem that someone has mentioned as "grainy". so it is it.
i figure that no one would be able to exchange for a better one until apple does some "fixit"
un jour,

Forum Links
Forum Rules