Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Uninstalling Lightroom or Aperture

Uninstalling Lightroom or Aperture
marsbt
May 28, 2007, 11:15 PM

Hi,

I am thinking of testing Lightroom and Aperture for the RAW images I work on. Both are available from their parent companies with a trial period license. Before I spend an amount in the order of $300, I would like to test run both of those and see which is better suited for my needs. But I want to completely eliminate the application from my MBP which I don't like. Is there any officially documented method to remove (or uninstall) those applications after using them for a few weeks?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Firefox: Add Of The Week

OreoCookie
May 28, 2007, 11:23 PM

Drag the app to the trash. Empty the trash. Done.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

marsbt  (op)
May 28, 2007, 11:49 PM

OreoCookie as far as I understand Aperture Trial comes as a kpkg and installs stuff in various places. It first checks for hardware compatibility and hence installs something for that. Does Lightroom end up as an app package which can be simply dragged to Trash? I would be so happy to get an affirmative answer so that I can finally go and play with each of them.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 28, 2007, 11:59 PM

marsbt  (op)
May 29, 2007, 12:23 AM

I saw this thing with Yank files but am a bit apprehensive about using it. Does anyone have any experience using it?

Mac OS X really needs something like dpkg for package management!

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 30, 2007, 03:48 PM

Aperture and Lightroom are both very easy to remove. Delete them. You can remove preference files if you want separately, as well as the library files and any previews (be SURE to not delete your originals).

This "as far as I understand Aperture Trial comes as a kpkg and installs stuff in various places" note you made is just false. There's nothing installed for hardware compatibility checking. Quit hanging out at the Area 51 Mac sites.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by marsbt View Post
Mac OS X really needs something like dpkg for package management!
Whatever gives you that idea? Oreo is right, delete the app and you're done. If you want to hit command F and delete everything related to the app you're getting rid of, not that it will make any difference at all.

If you're really worried you can always download AppZapper

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by marsbt View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of testing Lightroom and Aperture for the RAW images I work on. Both are available from their parent companies with a trial period license. Before I spend an amount in the order of $300, I would like to test run both of those and see which is better suited for my needs. But I want to completely eliminate the application from my MBP which I don't like. Is there any officially documented method to remove (or uninstall) those applications after using them for a few weeks?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Lightroom can still be had for 199$, and Aperture for around 270$. Google the price. Some retailers already raised the prices for Lightroom to 299$, but you can still find it at the introductory pricing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules