Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New IMac Screen Issue?

New IMac Screen Issue?
gostan
Aug 8, 2007, 10:25 AM

I picked up a new 24" IMac last evening at the Chestnut Hill store. All was fine after initial setup in my office this morning. But after transferring all data from my MacBook Pro and updating software and restarting, an off-white/yellow triangular fog about 2 inches by 2.5 inches appeard under the glass at the bottom right of the screen.

I was all ready to wipe the hard drive clean and go exchange it, but even stranger is the fact that it has now (after about one hour) almost completely disappeared.

I would obviously return it for exchange, but all appears fine now. What would you do?? I think that I will report it to Apple and watch it over the next few days.

By the way, the new IMac is much more elegant in person than in picture. No verdict yet on my first glossy screen ever. Time will tell.
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 11:57 AM

If you try to take it back, they will say, "What problem?".

So keep an eye on it. Use it. You have a one year warranty.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

gostan  (op)
Aug 8, 2007, 02:25 PM

It appears to be fine right now!

And, I am getting used to the new Apple Keyboard as I type.

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 03:14 PM

OK, how is the light with the screen? Is there glare? Do you like the glossy screen? That's the only thing preventing me from putting in my order! I'm worried about glare. I have a home office, with track lights above my desk, shining down on it. There's no light behind me. Just worried -- I don't buy computers that often!

gostan  (op)
Aug 8, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
OK, how is the light with the screen? Is there glare? Do you like the glossy screen? That's the only thing preventing me from putting in my order! I'm worried about glare. I have a home office, with track lights above my desk, shining down on it. There's no light behind me. Just worried -- I don't buy computers that often!
I was originally very worried about the glossy screen. I love the matte screen on my MacBook Pro.

My office has four large windows with mucho sunlight and no window coverings and a number of spot lights in the ceiling. The glossy screen is not an issue at all. Straight on there is a bit of reflection on the right and left corners, but it is not bothersome at all. And, as the day has progressed, I notice it less and less.

Robbiedeluxe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 12:57 PM

Sorry to bump your thread, but what happened to the "fog issue"?

I just picked up a 24" and while I was transferring files from my MacBook Pro (using the Migration Assistant) the exact same fog appeared on the bottom right of the screen. It has been there for approx 30 min, but it is starting to decrease in size. Should I worry and return my brand new Mac?

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
If you try to take it back, they will say, "What problem?".
They probably will, but you're by no means forced to explain yourself. Apple has a two-week no-questions-asked return policy. I used it when my first new iMac came with a huge scratch beneath the glass plate.

So far I haven't noticed any yellow fog and I'm pretty picky when it comes to anomalies and Apple hardware.

gostan  (op)
Oct 9, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Robbiedeluxe View Post
Sorry to bump your thread, but what happened to the "fog issue"?

I just picked up a 24" and while I was transferring files from my MacBook Pro (using the Migration Assistant) the exact same fog appeared on the bottom right of the screen. It has been there for approx 30 min, but it is starting to decrease in size. Should I worry and return my brand new Mac?
It went away and I have never had another problem with the screen. It is perfect. If yours goes away, I would think that you will be A-OK.

Etnier
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2007, 09:12 AM

Somebody should try to photograph this. Is this a literal fog: a vapor of some kind, or a distortion of the video signal?

Mr_E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 11:02 AM

Possibly a temperature change?
Perhaps some condensation under the glass that went away as it got warmer..
I'm reaching here, but I assume the glass over the display is not airtight if it's held on by magnets as I've read.

Livers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2008, 09:10 AM

Just wondering if these condensation issues caused any longer term problems? I've had my 24" for about 3 months (bought June 08) and got some condensation in the lower right hand side of the screen for the first time last week. It went away after a few hours and just wondering if I should forget about it or if I should act now? I still have time before my warranty expires but there doesn't seem to be any lasting damage at the moment.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
They probably will, but you're by no means forced to explain yourself. Apple has a two-week no-questions-asked return policy. I used it when my first new iMac came with a huge scratch beneath the glass plate.
This isn't quite true. Apple will charge you 10% restocking fee for computers that are opened. If there's an issue with the computer (like a foggy or scratched display) they're happy to address it, but if you brought it back for an issue that was no longer present, I'd expect them to ask some questions as to why you're returning it. I don't think they'd give you a hard time, and they'd probably waive the fee if you weren't happy and wanted another iMac, but it's not really 'no questions asked'.

ImpulseResponse

Forum Links
Forum Rules