Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Web hosting total confusion

Web hosting total confusion
brahms117
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 07:03 PM

I'm trying to make a website but it's all new to me. On an earlier thread here about separating domain registration and web hosting I learned about gkg.net and decided to give them a try (for both registration and hosting, despite the advice on that thread).

I'm trying to use NVU which simply asks for an FTP address, plus FTP username and password. The username and password I'm clear about, but tech support told me that the FTP address is simply my domain name. I.e., ftp://namegoeshere.org (not the real name). But NVU doesn't accept this. NVU does seem to accept http://namegoeshere.org, but after I publish and get the successful upload message nothing would appear on the site for 48 hours. The name servers are correct, so it's not that.

Now the weird thing is that suddenly a blank template has appeared on the site -- and no one else has the login and password information. It looks like it was made with SWsoft SiteBuilder, and no one I know even has that program.

GKG tech support (supposed to be 24 hours) has not replied to my messages since about 6pm Friday (yesterday). Late last night and all day today I just get their after hours automated message, but when I leave a message they don't call or email back.

I'm desperate to sort this out. I've been trying to get anything working for several days now. Has anyone used the specific combo of NVU and GKG.net web hosting? Or can anyone point out what might be wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2007, 09:49 PM

First off, with hosts you get what you pay for. The dirt cheap hosts lure you in with low prices but you get almost non-existent support.

You'll need to make sure that you're using passive FTP, since most hosts use a firewall. Does your domain feature SWSoft Plesk control panel access, since you mentioned Site Builder? You can always upload your site using the control panel too.

Most importantly -- check that you're using Passive FTP on Port 21. If that doesn't work with your NVU application, try a different FTP utility.

marsbt
Sep 23, 2007, 12:34 AM

Firefox: Add Of The Week

brahms117  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 07:47 AM

Thanks everyone. I was able to figure out the problem with some offlist help. Turns out GKG.net requires transfer into an /httpdocs folder, and denies any transfers into the main directory. Maybe other hosts require the same thing, but I'm new to all of this.

I'm still not sure where the phantom pages came from, probably tech support. Though I wonder why they didn't inform me about their plan.

I've installed that tutorial and I think it will be a big help. Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules