Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Waiting for the imminent release of the i5 13" MBP

Waiting for the imminent release of the i5 13" MBP
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2010, 10:16 PM

T minus 8 months, and I shall have an upgrade for this fancy computer.

Really, that 13" is going to scream compared to my 2GHz C1D MB.

I am sure it will have at least a 330 graphics chip , and more importantly iLife'11 and OS 10.7.

Perhaps it will even cost less than $1300.

No point in wishing for USB3.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2010, 10:58 PM

I think you're getting quite ahead of yourself.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2010, 11:36 PM

fall, at best. (am waiting too, sigh...). it's a way off.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2010, 03:07 AM

So with Ars' explanation in mind, how do you propose they fit the 330M in the 13" MBP? Obviously Apple will have to increase the size of the MLB to make that happen. So what do you suggest they drop or reduce to make that happen?

I'm curious, really. I too would like to see a 330M in there. But I'm not sure I'd like to sacrifice three hours of battery life to make that happen. I'd like to see the optical drive go. But is that enough?

Right now I'd say USB3 is probably more likely than the 330M for a new 13" MBP by the end of this year.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 23, 2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: fixed typo)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2010, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
new 12" MBP
Now *that* is wishful thinking.

P
Apr 23, 2010, 04:20 AM

The only way that happens is if nVidia gets a DMI license from Intel.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Now *that* is wishful thinking.
Doh!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
So with Ars' explanation in mind, how do you propose they fit the 330M in the 13" MBP? Obviously Apple will have to increase the size of the MLB to make that happen. So what do you suggest they drop or reduce to make that happen?

I'm curious, really. I too would like to see a 330M in there. But I'm not sure I'd like to sacrifice three hours of battery life to make that happen. I'd like to see the optical drive go. But is that enough?

Right now I'd say USB3 is probably more likely than the 330M for a new 13" MBP by the end of this year.

anything is possible; when the first 13" alubook came out sans firewire, the naysayers insisted the 13" could not fit a firewire port, then...the next 13" had one. ALL computers move forward (especially when apple does it's next true redesign), so will wait for now (and enjoy my current macbook)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2010, 10:16 AM

Nobody said it's impossible. The question I asked is what Apple should remove or reduce in order to make space for the 330M.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2010, 12:30 PM

With Sandybridge, Intel integrates the GPU in the CPU, not in the northbridge. This is a chance for nvidia to make a 330+northbridge combo and still implement optimus, or equivalent.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 12:54 PM

whatever else is true...apple will do what they want. if THEY want to fit something in a small frame, they'll find a way to do it. either way, am waiting to see what fall brings, and am getting all my work (and play!) done on my current mac.
i just hope there's enough of a speed/power/SOMETHING boost to justify a new purchase (otherwise, i'll just pay my bills...).

P
Apr 23, 2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
With Sandybridge, Intel integrates the GPU in the CPU, not in the northbridge. This is a chance for nvidia to make a 330+northbridge combo and still implement optimus, or equivalent.
I don't get it. The GPU is in the Northbridge, always has been, but the Northbridge itself is moving onto the CPU die. The non-GPU version has already done this with Lynnfield (top iMacs), and what Sandybridge does is implement this change on the low-end model as well. From the outside looking in, nothing changes - the Northbridge is inside the CPU package, irreplaceable, and you still need a DMI license or you fit 3 chips to the motherboard.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2010, 12:35 AM

The only other option would be for Apple to go to AMD chips in the low-end MBPs. AMD's current mobile offerings aren't competitive with Intel's high-end, but the quad-core mobile Phenom II is supposed to come out soon (and could change that).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2010, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
It's my understanding that they actually will move the northbridge to the CPU with Sandybridge (like Lynnfield). The other difference will be that the GPU will move to the same die as the core, not just the same package as with Clarkdale.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2010, 03:12 PM

There was no way I could have waited for an i5 MacBook Pro 13". My 2007 white MacBook could not wait any longer. I'm happy with my 2.4GHz C2D. By the time it comes to upgrade again in 2-4 years I'm sure we'll have it then.

I think the only way they'll get it in there though is if they took the plunge and removed the optical drive. Yes, I just said that. It would be bold. MacBook Air is one thing, but Apple would be saying "Optical is no longer as needed as it was before". They'd be able to make the 13" MBP lighter and less noisy and could still sell $100 external drives for people who still need them to upgrade OS X or install retail software. Because really, other than ripping DVD's, I don't use my DVD drive for anything. As I said, I rip my DVD's into portable video files that I can take anywhere in a much smaller space than a bunch of discs would take. Probably won't be for a few years, but it'll happen. With everyone moving to digital distribution, optical could be moved to external drives only and make the laptops much lighter and thinner. I truly believe the Air is kind of their test bed to see how the water is before they finally do it later on down the road.

Just watch. When they do it, it'll be the floppy drive all over again.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2010, 04:41 PM

IMHO they can't drop the optical drive soon enough. USB sticks are faster and more convenient. And with all the space gained by getting rid of that huge optical drive there's loads of new goodies we can get in our MBPs.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2010, 07:42 PM

Not to mention, usb sticks are bigger(as in storage space), just not cheaper.

AltecXP
Apr 24, 2010, 09:18 PM

I'd like dual HDD options, you can fit 2 HDD's in a 13in macbook and still have room to have a bigger logic board.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2010, 10:03 PM

I just want scientists to give us a 12mm 2TB laptop HD. We're up to 1TB right now. Just keep going!

Forum Links
Forum Rules