Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Italian GP Thread (aka Montoya versus Ferrari)

Italian GP Thread (aka Montoya versus Ferrari)
Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2003, 10:28 AM

Wow.

what a weekend so far.

Right now i'd give the edge to Montoya and williams even though Michael is on pole.

Michael went 0.3 seconds faster today than he did yesterday with his car setup for first qualifying. something is fishy there considering he has considerably more fuel today. ferrari might be going for a short first stint and then hoping like hell that their tyres hold up for the remainder of the race.

its going to be an amazing race tomorrow.

signal68
Banned
Sep 13, 2003, 11:19 AM

#3 is immortal in our hearts!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2003, 04:02 PM

versus ferrari and f.i.a.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 04:14 PM

Why does the FIA play into this? Michelin was at fault! Don't bitch at Ferrari just cause they complain about unfair play. If Bridgestone were in Michelin's position... the bitching about Ferrari would never stop. Not that it does anyway..

But yeah, i can't wait for the race either. Strategies will play a big part (obviously). Hopefully the BMW engine will hold up to the end of the race this year.

Agasthya  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2003, 10:58 AM

oh well.

he's only 3 pts back. still within striking distance.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 10:11 PM

Forza!
Awesome first lap tho. Too bad the Renault didn't hold up or Trulli seemed to have caught up to Montoya.
Indianapolis should be just as interesting. Anyone going to watch it on track?

Agasthya  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Forza!
Awesome first lap tho. Too bad the Renault didn't hold up or Trulli seemed to have caught up to Montoya.
Indianapolis should be just as interesting. Anyone going to watch it on track?
the only reason that trulli even looked like he was going to have a chance at coming close to Montoya was because montoya lifted to not run itno MS. thats all - trulli had no chance at overtaking montoya, that BMW motor is leagues ahead of the Renault engine. no contest.

And yes, I'm going to Indy. I'll be decked out in Williams/Montoya gear

Hopefully I'll have the digicam and I'll take tons of pictures.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
the only reason that trulli even looked like he was going to have a chance at coming close to Montoya was because montoya lifted to not run itno MS. thats all - trulli had no chance at overtaking montoya, that BMW motor is leagues ahead of the Renault engine. no contest.

And yes, I'm going to Indy. I'll be decked out in Williams/Montoya gear

Hopefully I'll have the digicam and I'll take tons of pictures.
damn, you lucky gandu!

try and get an audio clip of those engines roaring past as well, if possible. that'll be cool.

Agasthya  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
damn, you lucky gandu!

try and get an audio clip of those engines roaring past as well, if possible. that'll be cool.
I have that clip of the Montoya/Gordon trading paint publicity stunt at Indy. I'll need to find it when I go home and then digitize it.

I don't think they were revving the engines at their maximum during that session but you could hear them coming from the other side of the partial oval they run on.

sounded very cool

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2003, 08:10 PM

Montoya didn't have the slightest chance with legal tyres.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Agasthya  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Montoya didn't have the slightest chance with legal tyres.
The backmarkers at the end of the race certainly didn't help his chances. Ferrari brakes were overheating big time - you could see the carbon brake dust coming out at the beginning of both Ferrari's braking lines. If Montoya could apply some pressure at the end we never know what could have happened - but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Montoya was gaining about 2/10s of a second per lap before he got caught behind Frentzen for half a lap and Baumgaurtner for another half lap. That in total cost him about 3 seconds. And with how evenly the cars were matched, he stood no chance from that point onward.

And I don't think the tyres mattered at all. The wide tyres in question only give gain on high downforce tracks (Monaco, Budapest, Magny-Cours, Hockenheim -- all which were Michelin victories). There wasn't as much load on the tyres during Monza. During Indy, especially the infield section, if Michelin don't improve, they will have significant problems - but I still think they are better than the Bridgestones.

I'm still going to stand behind Montoya for the title - unless Schumi crashes into him 1994 Adelaide or 1997 Jerez style (*** Agasthya runs for cover )

Forum Links
Forum Rules