Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dead MacBook Options

Dead MacBook Options
AlanKHG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2010, 12:46 AM

Hi. I have a first-gen, mid-2006 Macbook with the Core Duo and such.

It fell in my backpack a bit back. At first, it would boot and was by-and-large functional except that it would kernel panic, especially when it moved/the case flexed. At some point it stopped booting, and now when the power button is pressed a fan spins up but nothing else happens with video or audio. I've reset the SMC. I've reseated the RAM and tried reconnecting many of the internal cables without any progress. My relatively uniformed guess is that the logic board has gone out; friends speculate something may have come desoldered. Is this a reasonable diagnosis?

If so, I found the computer satisfactory and it seems the most economical course of action would be to replace or repair the logic board. Since a broken MacBook logic board is presumably without value, friends have suggested heatgunning the board to attempt to get things to resolder. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

Other than that, what are affordable sources for a logic board? I would swear I saw Core Duo logic boards somewhere for around $250, but I don't remember where, and most places are charging $300-$400 that I see. Did I just misremember? Because at that point a $849 refurb MacBook, looks significantly more appealing, especially if I sell the old machine for parts.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 12:55 AM

Do you have a spare hard drive you could boot off of? I would think that the hard drive would be bad, not the logic board.

AlanKHG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2010, 01:20 AM

Well, the computer booted with full data integrity after the fall, just kernel panicking when flexed. Also, before when I've had hard drive troubles the computer would boot and the screen would turn on, showing a folder with a question mark on it unless I booted off of another device. At this point, pressing the power button just results in a fan spinning up, with no video or audio output from the system.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Do you have a spare hard drive you could boot off of? I would think that the hard drive would be bad, not the logic board.
I would say the opposite. It's going to be the logic board. Some connection somewhere has been damaged and has finally given up the ghost.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
Jan 6, 2010, 08:00 AM

Seems likely that the motherboard has snapped partially, and when you twist it, you twist it enough that the parts don't stay together any more.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules